Elgato just released the Eve Light Switch, a HomeKit-enabled Bluetooth LE single pole switch that'll run you $49.95.

Full story from the iMore Blog...
    10-26-2016 05:12 PM
    I am trying to use this switch to automate some ceiling fans in my house. For some reason I can only access this switch when I am nearby. From testing it appears I am connecting only with Bluetooth. How the heck would this switch work with HomeKit if the only way to connect is Bluetooth LE? Does it not connect with wifi too? I have looked at the specs and so far, all I see is Bluetooth LE.
    04-30-2018 11:24 AM
    I am trying to use this switch to automate some ceiling fans in my house. For some reason I can only access this switch when I am nearby. From testing it appears I am connecting only with Bluetooth. How the heck would this switch work with HomeKit if the only way to connect is Bluetooth LE? Does it not connect with wifi too? I have looked at the specs and so far, all I see is Bluetooth LE.
    You either need an iPad or an TV at home to connect to HomeKit accessories at home.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207057
    04-30-2018 12:40 PM
    Thanks for the response. I actually have all of the above. I am already doing automation using the home app for other things. I added this switch last week and it does not seem to be accessible beyond Bluetooth range. I have some Eve plugs that seem to work fine. I do have a large house with airport expresses used as extenders for dead spots. I moved them around this weekend and did not improve the situation. I guess my real question is, if this switch connects wirelessly via Bluetooth LE and not through wifi, then what are they connecting through? Your suggestion that they are going through Bluetooth enabled devises rather than a wifi router on wifi would explain what is going on. That being said, the switches I have are connecting but they may be close enough to a Bluetooth device.
    Tartarus likes this.
    04-30-2018 12:51 PM
    Thanks for the response. I actually have all of the above. I am already doing automation using the home app for other things. I added this switch last week and it does not seem to be accessible beyond Bluetooth range. I have some Eve plugs that seem to work fine. I do have a large house with airport expresses used as extenders for dead spots. I moved them around this weekend and did not improve the situation. I guess my real question is, if this switch connects wirelessly via Bluetooth LE and not through wifi, then what are they connecting through? Your suggestion that they are going through Bluetooth enabled devises rather than a wifi router on wifi would explain what is going on. That being said, the switches I have are connecting but they may be close enough to a Bluetooth device.
    Unless your HomeKit accessory comes with built in WiFi or a WiFi enabled bridge, Bluetooth is the only way to connect to that accessory.
    This is the reason you are only able to use the switch when you’re close by. See if you can move it closer to your current Apple TV or get a second hand 3rd gen Apple TV for cheap that you can place somewhere close to the switch in question.
    04-30-2018 01:32 PM
    I obviously did not know that. Thanks for educating me. I presently have two capable Apple TVs and now a HomePod. One of them is active and the others on standby. My final question. Are they all capable of transmitting the Bluetooth or just the one that is enabled? I can see that the enabled device jumped to a distant Apple TV and not one closer to the switch. Most of my smart home consists of Hue lights and they all talk to each other and go though their own Hue hub. My only other devices at present are two Elgato Eve plugs that seem to work and this switch.
    04-30-2018 01:43 PM
    I obviously did not know that. Thanks for educating me. I presently have two capable Apple TVs and now a HomePod. One of them is active and the others on standby. My final question. Are they all capable of transmitting the Bluetooth or just the one that is enabled? I can see that the enabled device jumped to a distant Apple TV and not one closer to the switch. Most of my smart home consists of Hue lights and they all talk to each other and go though their own Hue hub. My only other devices at present are two Elgato Eve plugs that seem to work and this switch.
    My Apple TV is on standby most of the time, especially when I’m away from home. It still sends and receives signals from my HomeKit accessories.

You will have to login to iCloud on your second Apple TV and enable HomeKit in settings, like you did with the other Apple TV.

I am not familiar with HomePod, but my guess is that it will also function as a hub.

If you have any other questions don’t hesitate to ask.
    04-30-2018 01:53 PM