With Galaxy S7, Samsung still can't achieve Apple-level industrial design

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I think this blog post is unnecessarily harsh. Whilst I have no love for Samsung due to a very poor user experience a few years ago, I think the new S7 looks beautiful and if you hadn't pointed out the misalignment of the holes, I wouldn't have noticed. Still, I don't think this is a design 'fail'.

The comments on the post by Android and Apple users make me despair for humanity though.

Rene from last year said:
Is it worth the effort? For me, as a customer, knowing that Apple had the consideration and took the time and effort to align their hardware speaks to the overall quality of their work. It reassures me that the same consideration and effort were likely spent making sure not a millimeter nor milliamp of battery space was wasted, not a nanometer of die, not a gap left around the screen, or a dead zone in the capacitive sensor.

Rene, come on. Do you honestly think Samsung just slapped some holes in there without a second's thought and made the device? The S7 is smaller in width and height, yet still packs a 5.5" screen. I reckon that i'm not far off the mark when I say that the holes being where they are are definitely part of design consideration.

You don't like Samsung, I get it. I don't like them either but I do recognise a phone that is a massive upgrade from where Samsung were a few years ago. Trust me, I love my iPhone 6 but I don't like how it looks, I dislike iTunes intensely and i'm not enamoured by the rumours of the iPhone 7 losing the headphone jack and becoming thinner (as if we need a thinner iPhone, FFS).

I think this blog post smacks a little of desperation.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
The article's opening sentence seems a little immature. I don't care if the holes are symmetrical or not, and maybe there is a valid reason they are not.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I get the argument here but, if I'm being honest, the S7 and S7 Edge are beautiful devices. I still don't think they hold a candle to my 6s Plus but I wouldn't call them anything close to a design fail. @Highrisedrifter was spot on in his above remarks.

Emeroid

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
………..Trust me, I love my iPhone 6 but I don't like how it looks, I dislike iTunes intensely and i'm not enamoured by the rumours of the iPhone 7 losing the headphone jack and becoming thinner (as if we need a thinner iPhone, FFS).

I think this blog post smacks a little of desperation.
That was what stopped me buying the 6 or 6S. Ironic as now it could be construed that I don’t care about design. Mind you Samsung would have had to make the holes far more higgledy piggledy than that and it still wouldn’t be remotely as ugly as the Apple version of the sticky outy camera.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
sticky outy camera.

I understand and appreciate that Apple must have had a reason for doing it but I thought it was one of the most stupid things I have ever seen on a phone where the camera bulge was offset from the middle, thereby guaranteeing rocking. It practically mandated that you needed a case on your phone to stop 'wobble' when setting it down on a table. I deplore all phones with stick out cameras, Samsung aren't getting away scot-free from this either, nor are Nexus, LG, Nokia or HTC. At least with the majority of those, the camera was central, not offset.

Saying all this though, I still think my iPhone looks better than any Samsung I have owned. And it certainly performs better for my needs anyway.

As it happens, I had to put a case on my iPhone 6 as the thing is so thin in my big spade-claw hands that I needed a way of holding it without dropping it. But yes, let's make the iPhone 7 thinner... wheeeeeeeeeeee

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I understand and appreciate that Apple must have had a reason for doing it but I thought it was one of the most stupid things I have ever seen on a phone where the camera bulge was offset from the middle, thereby guaranteeing rocking. It practically mandated that you needed a case on your phone to stop 'wobble' when setting it down on a table. I deplore all phones with stick out cameras, Samsung aren't getting away scot-free from this either, nor are Nexus, LG, Nokia or HTC. At least with the majority of those, the camera was central, not offset.

Saying all this though, I still think my iPhone looks better than any Samsung I have owned. And it certainly performs better for my needs anyway.

As it happens, I had to put a case on my iPhone 6 as the thing is so thin in my big spade-claw hands that I needed a way of holding it without dropping it. But yes, let's make the iPhone 7 thinner... wheeeeeeeeeeee

Really, really, really hoping that the camera bulge is gone on the iPhone 7. Really. I'd even being okay with (GASP) the phone being a little thicker. Maybe a smaller bezel to compensate?

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro