BlackBerry's instant messaging service BBM will be seeing an update across all OS platforms in the next few days. It has been available through BlackBerry Beta Zone for some users from a few weeks now and it now ready for everyone. The most notable new feature is Timed Messages which allows users to send a 'secret' message to a contact for a pre-set duration of time. You will also be able to retract any accidentally sent messages. We've all been there, so that may be a handy addition.

Full story from the iMore Blog...
    10-31-2014 09:12 AM
    A "pre-set duration of time"? Oh, I see!

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.
    10-31-2014 10:14 AM
    And they intend to charge for these "features" in the near future? LOL, good luck with that.
    Charging for something that others do better, for free...great business case.
    jmr1015 likes this.
    10-31-2014 12:40 PM
    And they intend to charge for these "features" in the near future? LOL, good luck with that.
    Blackberry looks like they are going to milk their minuscule die hard fan base for every last penny.
    jmr1015, sanibel and mikeo007 like this.
    11-01-2014 04:25 AM
    Blackberry looks like they are going to milk their minuscule die hard fan base for every last penny.
    This interview with BB CEO John Chen gives you an idea of what sort of money he expects to squeeze out of BBM users.

11-01-2014 08:49 AM
    Pardon me for my ignorance, but what other messaging apps allow "message retraction"?
    11-01-2014 09:40 AM
    Pardon me for my ignorance, but what other messaging apps allow "message retraction"?
    You must be a blackberry user
    11-01-2014 12:56 PM
    Probably no others. Because they're instant messaging apps.

I would imagine that if there is an instant retraction that the message is somehow held back. If so that takes out the purpose of instant messaging

And if it's not held back and it's sent the recipient might see a preview anyway without opening it as it flashes across. Even if the sender retracts it it's already been seen so any damage will already have been done.

How is message retraction useful?

EDIT: Actually it's a completely useless feature.
    http://blogs.blackberry.com/2014/10/...eatures-video/

I've got BBM on all my devices and I'm not paying for this.

Sent from my gorgeous sexy white BEAST of a Note 4 ❤
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-01-2014 01:23 PM
    Well snap chat would be the obvious one that they're attempting to rip off. Since...you know, it's the one EVERY article is comparing it to.
    FFR likes this.
    11-01-2014 03:14 PM
    You must be a blackberry user
    Never touched a Blackberry in my life. Only Android and iPhone. Nice try though.

Well snap chat would be the obvious one that they're attempting to rip off. Since...you know, it's the one EVERY article is comparing it to.
    Was it compared in the iMore article? I didn't see it.
    11-01-2014 08:48 PM
    A shame it won't bring the removal of ads!
    zerog46 likes this.
    11-01-2014 09:41 PM
    Probably no others. Because they're instant messaging apps.

I would imagine that if there is an instant retraction that the message is somehow held back. If so that takes out the purpose of instant messaging

And if it's not held back and it's sent the recipient might see a preview anyway without opening it as it flashes across. Even if the sender retracts it it's already been seen so any damage will already have been done.

How is message retraction useful?

EDIT: Actually it's a completely useless feature.
    http://blogs.blackberry.com/2014/10/...eatures-video/

I've got BBM on all my devices and I'm not paying for this.

Sent from my gorgeous sexy white BEAST of a Note 4
    The Super Bowl needed instant retraction when Janet Jackson...umm Yeah, it's like the time delay on live TV.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.
    qbnkelt likes this.
    11-01-2014 09:49 PM
    Never touched a Blackberry in my life. Only Android and iPhone. Nice try though.

It was a crack berry article that got cross posted here. They're not going to blatantly state that their own products touted new feature is a ripoff of snapchat, which offers it for free.

I'm not sure what your angle is here, are you just trying to be purposefully obtuse?
    11-01-2014 10:33 PM
    This update is terrible. It has major lag on my 6 Plus
    11-02-2014 12:01 AM

Only android or iOS and never heard of snapchat?

Dubious claim indeed.
    11-02-2014 01:45 AM
    It was a crack berry article that got cross posted here. They're not going to blatantly state that their own products touted new feature is a ripoff of snapchat, which offers it for free.

I'm not sure what your angle is here, are you just trying to be purposefully obtuse?
    Only android or iOS and never heard of snapchat?

Dubious claim indeed.
    Angle? Obtuse? Dubious claim? You watch too much television my friends.

I have never heard of that app, nor do I believe I should have. I also do not read every article on the internet. I simply wanted to know what app you say they ripped off. That's all.
    11-02-2014 02:26 AM
    A shame it won't bring the removal of ads!
    Now THAT would be useful. This retraction feature???? Not so much.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6
    11-02-2014 02:26 AM
    It's really an amazing feature by BBM, What other new features BBM has got ?
    11-03-2014 06:44 AM
    It is almost unusable to me now. It has horrible lag in the chats, can't even scroll up to see earlier messages. The lag is about to make me delete this app.
    11-03-2014 07:27 AM
    It's really an amazing feature by BBM, What other new features BBM has got ?
    Well I can tell you one that it hasn't got. You can't share pics in group chats. Pain in the neck. You have to get out of the chat to attach a pic. WhatsApp handles this WAY better. So do iMessage group chats.

11-04-2014 07:28 AM
    Just tried the timed message and it's way after five seconds and it still hasn't gone out.
    Pretty useless.
    And with the retracted message it tells you a message as retracted which will only open up the "what did you say?!!?!!" questions.

11-04-2014 07:46 AM
    Just tried the timed message and it's way after five seconds and it still hasn't gone out.
    Pretty useless.
    And with the retracted message it tells you a message as retracted which will only open up the "what did you say?!!?!!" questions.

Ow wow...what a ridiculously bad implementation. What exactly is the point of it then? If you're retracting a message that you don't want read, why would you leave a breadcrumb trail for someone to ask questions?
    11-04-2014 08:26 AM
    Ow wow...what a ridiculously bad implementation. What exactly is the point of it then? If you're retracting a message that you don't want read, why would you leave a breadcrumb trail for someone to ask questions?
    It's supposedly a security feature.

So let's see.....you say something then you realise you shouldn't have said it and go oooooooops and retract it.

Too late. The recipient already knows you've said something you shouldn't. Therefore you're not being 1) discreet and 2) wise in your choices 3) trustworthy 4) believable because you're not being transparent with some information.

As a manager, if I saw this, I would find the whole exchange suspect. I would not trust anything before or after.

As a parent, the child will be grounded for the rest of his/her natural life because I won't trust anything before and after.

As a woman.....the man should pick up the best shovel he can find for that hole is has just started up....

jmr1015 likes this.
    11-04-2014 08:38 AM
    I wouldn't worry about blackberry, at last count they had less than 40 million handset users left, that's it. That equals to roughly a quarters worth of iPhone sales.
    11-11-2014 04:51 AM