Apple CEO Tim Cook has opened up about his personal life for the first time, revealing previously reserved intimate details to the public. The CEO not only confirmed his sexuality, but also went into detail about how he hoped to help others in similar positions around the world through being slightly more open about himself.

Full story from the iMore Blog...
    10-30-2014 07:51 AM
    I have no interest whatsoever in knowing about his personal life. If he's gay, that's his business, and I don't see the need to go out and tell the world about it. I'm not out telling the world I'm straight, but that's Just Me, D...
    10-30-2014 10:48 AM
    I have no interest whatsoever in knowing about his personal life. If he's gay, that's his business, and I don't see the need to go out and tell the world about it. I'm not out telling the world I'm straight, but that's Just Me, D...
    I TOTALLY agree with this post
    10-30-2014 10:59 AM
    I guess that explains the iOS 7 look. But I, too, could not care less about his personal life.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.
    10-30-2014 11:06 AM
    I wish he wouldn't do this type of stuff. Keep your personal life personal please. It kind of alienates all those who don't believe this is right, like me.
    10-30-2014 11:20 AM
    I don't see the point either. Remember, he's coming out now..after his success and being bulletproof. That only tells me that he's had plenty of reason to stay private as he climbed the ladder.

It's like "look at me, I'm gay and I'm a CEO of perhaps the most valuable company in the world...so be proud, you can be whatever you want" In other words, shut up about it until you've reached a certain level of success.

I've worked various firms where this just wouldn't be a good idea for that person starting out.. Stay private.
    10-30-2014 11:20 AM
    I guess that explains the iOS 7 look. But I, too, could not care less about his personal life.
    I have absolutely no idea what this is supposed to mean.

Regarding the issue of Cook being gay, who cares. If that’s the bus he chooses to ride, go for it. Just focus on running Apple, please and leave personal issues where they belong - in your private life.
    10-30-2014 11:28 AM
    It's 2014 most people don't care. I definitely think it would be best to keep personal life.. Well personal, Especially when you're in a position like he is. Some people may support it, some may not care, some may be against it, but let's just focus on the business aspect of things.
    10-30-2014 11:55 AM
    He's doing it because he can. Of course none of you go around shouting that you're straight.....because none of you are persecuted for it. What he's doing is making other people that are hiding their true feelings feel ok about coming out and not have to be afraid to do it. Good for him I say. I'm completely ok with this and I'm 100% straight.
    10-30-2014 11:56 AM
    You just did tell us.

Fact is it helps others not be afraid to talk about their personal lives at work. It's not about sex life - it's about personal lives. You work with people for lots of hours a day. Not sharing a bit about your family is lonely. He is setting a good example.

The type of place Apple is to work is entirely relevant. They also are working on diversity and green issues. All of this is important to some of us who choose Apple for more then just design. They aren't perfect but the discussion is important and an important part of their business.
    zerog46, sanibel, grover5 and 3 others like this.
    10-30-2014 12:16 PM
    I wish he wouldn't do this type of stuff. Keep your personal life personal please. It kind of alienates all those who don't believe this is right, like me.
    Bro, I'm with you 100%!! I totally agree, and couldn't have said it better myself.
    Flow39 and projectman like this.
    10-30-2014 12:22 PM
    Now I understand the meaning of the Apple logo.

Sent from my wrapped in leather iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    10-30-2014 12:23 PM
    He's doing it because he can. Of course none of you go around shouting that you're straight.....because none of you are persecuted for it. What he's doing is making other people that are hiding their true feelings feel ok about coming out and not have to be afraid to do it. Good for him I say. I'm completely ok with this and I'm 100% straight.
    I agree. And I am like 95% straight.

ಠ益ಠ
    10-30-2014 12:28 PM
    You just did tell us.

Fact is it helps others not be afraid to talk about their personal lives at work. It's not about sex life - it's about personal lives. You work with people for lots of hours a day. Not sharing a bit about your family is lonely. He is setting a good example.

The type of place Apple is to work is entirely relevant. They also are working on diversity and green issues. All of this is important to some of us who choose Apple for more then just design. They aren't perfect but the discussion is important and an important part of their business.
    Well I personally don't think people should talk about their personal lives at work, whether their normal or not. But that's just me, and I'm a young adult that just entered the work force.
    Flow39 likes this.
    10-30-2014 12:30 PM
    It's funny how whenever someone announces they are gay. There is a train of people who profess they are straight and how they don't care or want someone's sexuality shoved in their face. Well if you don't care or "think it is wrong." take your own advice and "keep it to yourself."

ಠ益ಠ
    zerog46 likes this.
    10-30-2014 12:33 PM
    Tim says it best:

"I don't consider myself an activist, but I realize how much I've benefited from the sacrifice of others," he said. "So if hearing that the CEO of Apple is gay can help someone struggling to come to terms with who he or she is, or bring comfort to anyone who feels alone, or inspire people to insist on their equality, then it's worth the trade-off with my own privacy."
    10-30-2014 12:36 PM
    Tim says it best:

"I don't consider myself an activist, but I realize how much I've benefited from the sacrifice of others," he said. "So if hearing that the CEO of Apple is gay can help someone struggling to come to terms with who he or she is, or bring comfort to anyone who feels alone, or inspire people to insist on their equality, then it's worth the trade-off with my own privacy."
    Love it.

ಠ益ಠ
    10-30-2014 12:37 PM
    It's funny how whenever someone announces they are gay. There is a train of people who profess they are straight and how they don't care or want someone's sexuality shoved in their face. Well if you don't care or "think it is wrong." take your own advice and "keep it to yourself."

ಠ益ಠ
    That's what we do. And we are simply saying we'd like to be treated like we treat others. That is, we don't bore others with our personal lives, and don't want the same done to us.
    10-30-2014 12:37 PM
    You just did tell us.
    iMore is not "the world", and besides, commenting in this regard is not professing.

Fact is it helps others not be afraid to talk about their personal lives at work.
    Then why not just tell the people at work.
    It's not about sex life - it's about personal lives.
    I never mentioned his sex life. I said that if he's gay, that's his business.
    You work with people for lots of hours a day. Not sharing a bit about your family is lonely.
    To this very day, I'm selective about what I share with people. Some things are simply no one else's business. Besides, everyone cannot be trusted with either public or personal information.
    He is setting a good example.
    is it possible that he was forced to mention it?

I suppose some people view it that way, I'm just not one of them. Having said that, my intent is not to bash Tim Cook. My intent is to say that I don't care about him being gay and That it is his business. He didn't have to tell the world about it. Now, there is a news article I read yesterday or the day before about an ex-gay person. Will her coming out as being ex-gay be as welcoming? Just curious!
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 10-30-2014 at 12:52 PM.
    the_tech_eater likes this.
    10-30-2014 12:39 PM
    That's what we do. And we are simply saying we'd like to be treated like we treat others. That is, we don't bore others with our personal lives, and don't want the same done to us.
    Well you just bored me to death with that response.

You were supposed to throw the Bible at me.

Obviously I am just messing with you. I respect your opinion.

ಠ益ಠ
    10-30-2014 12:43 PM
    Well you just bored me to death with that response.

You were supposed to throw the Bible at me.

Obviously I am just messing with you. I respect your opinion.

ಠ益ಠ
    Well, I certainly can throw the bible at you if you want to catch it but no, I personally don't think the Internet, especially not a forum, is the place to have such extremely personal discussions.
    Illustrator Joe likes this.
    10-30-2014 12:44 PM

ಠ益ಠ
    No. I did not shove me being straight in anyone's face, and I'm not going to sit idly by and let you advocate one person arguably shoving their preference in the face of world as being a good thing and a few of us responding about not caring and mentioning their straight preference as a bad thing. What part of "I don't care that he's gay" don't you understand? It's okay for him to not keep his personal life to himself, but it's not okay for me to mention mine? C'mon!
    10-30-2014 12:49 PM
    Well I personally don't think people should talk about their personal lives at work, whether their normal or not. But that's just me, and I'm a young adult that just entered the work force.
    So at work, no one should have pics of their kids on their desk? No one should have a pic of their SO? No one should ever ask someone else, "hey what did you do last weekend" or share what awesome experience they had over the weekend with xyz? Or what great movie, he/she went to see with xyz. No one should talk about their pets? No one should talk about sports either because what teams you support is part of your personal life? Likewise talking about the latest TV show you watched the night before. That's something you do as part of your personal life.
    If people never mentioned anything about their personal lives at work, most people would probably say absolutely nothing all day. If that's what you truly meant and abide by yourself at work, then ok. But I find it difficult to believe that you've never mentioned or talked about some of the things I listed above with your colleagues.
    10-30-2014 12:53 PM
    Oh, isn't the title of this thread misleading? If I'm not mistaken, Tim has talked about this before... Like at auburn university I believe.
    10-30-2014 12:53 PM
    Umm..if you don't go shouting about it, then you won't get persecuted for it. All these people who come out, they're famous because of success or you wouldn't see news about it. They've hid it all their lives or it wouldn't be news.

Do the math. Should this make others feel ok about doing the same if they've not reached a similar level of success? Hardly of these people coming out never faced any kind of persecution or discrimination because they remained private. How many of these people would have the same level of success if they'd not remained private about it most of their life?

If you're gay and you want to be like Tim Cook, then follow his lead. Shut up about it.
    the_tech_eater likes this.
    10-30-2014 12:55 PM
131 123 ...