Tim Cook opens up about his personal life for the first time

iMore.com

Administrator
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
tim_cook_2013_ipad_event.jpg

Apple CEO Tim Cook has opened up about his personal life for the first time, revealing previously reserved intimate details to the public. The CEO not only confirmed his sexuality, but also went into detail about how he hoped to help others in similar positions around the world through being slightly more open about himself.

Full story from the iMore Blog...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have no interest whatsoever in knowing about his personal life. If he's gay, that's his business, and I don't see the need to go out and tell the world about it. I'm not out telling the world I'm straight, but that's Just Me, D...:)

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I have no interest whatsoever in knowing about his personal life. If he's gay, that's his business, and I don't see the need to go out and tell the world about it. I'm not out telling the world I'm straight, but that's Just Me, D...:)

I TOTALLY agree with this post

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I guess that explains the iOS 7 look. But I, too, could not care less about his personal life.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I wish he wouldn't do this type of stuff. Keep your personal life personal please. It kind of alienates all those who don't believe this is right, like me.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I don't see the point either. Remember, he's coming out now..after his success and being bulletproof. That only tells me that he's had plenty of reason to stay private as he climbed the ladder.

It's like "look at me, I'm gay and I'm a CEO of perhaps the most valuable company in the world...so be proud, you can be whatever you want" In other words, shut up about it until you've reached a certain level of success.

I've worked various firms where this just wouldn't be a good idea for that person starting out.. Stay private.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I guess that explains the iOS 7 look. But I, too, could not care less about his personal life.

I have absolutely no idea what this is supposed to mean.

Regarding the issue of Cook being gay, who cares. If that’s the bus he chooses to ride, go for it. Just focus on running Apple, please and leave personal issues where they belong - in your private life.

iTechHead

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
It's 2014 most people don't care. I definitely think it would be best to keep personal life.. Well personal, Especially when you're in a position like he is. Some people may support it, some may not care, some may be against it, but let's just focus on the business aspect of things.

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
He's doing it because he can. Of course none of you go around shouting that you're straight.....because none of you are persecuted for it. What he's doing is making other people that are hiding their true feelings feel ok about coming out and not have to be afraid to do it. Good for him I say. I'm completely ok with this and I'm 100% straight.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site

You just did tell us.

Fact is it helps others not be afraid to talk about their personal lives at work. It's not about sex life - it's about personal lives. You work with people for lots of hours a day. Not sharing a bit about your family is lonely. He is setting a good example.

The type of place Apple is to work is entirely relevant. They also are working on diversity and green issues. All of this is important to some of us who choose Apple for more then just design. They aren't perfect but the discussion is important and an important part of their business.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Now I understand the meaning of the Apple logo.

Sent from my wrapped in leather iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
He's doing it because he can. Of course none of you go around shouting that you're straight.....because none of you are persecuted for it. What he's doing is making other people that are hiding their true feelings feel ok about coming out and not have to be afraid to do it. Good for him I say. I'm completely ok with this and I'm 100% straight.

I agree. And I am like 95% straight.

ಠ益ಠ

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
You just did tell us.

Fact is it helps others not be afraid to talk about their personal lives at work. It's not about sex life - it's about personal lives. You work with people for lots of hours a day. Not sharing a bit about your family is lonely. He is setting a good example.

The type of place Apple is to work is entirely relevant. They also are working on diversity and green issues. All of this is important to some of us who choose Apple for more then just design. They aren't perfect but the discussion is important and an important part of their business.

Well I personally don't think people should talk about their personal lives at work, whether their normal or not. But that's just me, and I'm a young adult that just entered the work force.

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
It's funny how whenever someone announces they are gay. There is a train of people who profess they are straight and how they don't care or want someone's sexuality shoved in their face. Well if you don't care or "think it is wrong." take your own advice and "keep it to yourself."

ಠ益ಠ

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Tim says it best:

"I don't consider myself an activist, but I realize how much I've benefited from the sacrifice of others," he said. "So if hearing that the CEO of Apple is gay can help someone struggling to come to terms with who he or she is, or bring comfort to anyone who feels alone, or inspire people to insist on their equality, then it's worth the trade-off with my own privacy."

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Tim says it best:

"I don't consider myself an activist, but I realize how much I've benefited from the sacrifice of others," he said. "So if hearing that the CEO of Apple is gay can help someone struggling to come to terms with who he or she is, or bring comfort to anyone who feels alone, or inspire people to insist on their equality, then it's worth the trade-off with my own privacy."

Love it.

ಠ益ಠ

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
It's funny how whenever someone announces they are gay. There is a train of people who profess they are straight and how they don't care or want someone's sexuality shoved in their face. Well if you don't care or "think it is wrong." take your own advice and "keep it to yourself."

ಠ益ಠ

That's what we do. And we are simply saying we'd like to be treated like we treat others. That is, we don't bore others with our personal lives, and don't want the same done to us.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You just did tell us.
iMore is not "the world", and besides, commenting in this regard is not professing.

Fact is it helps others not be afraid to talk about their personal lives at work.
Then why not just tell the people at work.
It's not about sex life - it's about personal lives.
I never mentioned his sex life. I said that if he's gay, that's his business.
You work with people for lots of hours a day. Not sharing a bit about your family is lonely.
To this very day, I'm selective about what I share with people. Some things are simply no one else's business. Besides, everyone cannot be trusted with either public or personal information.
He is setting a good example.
is it possible that he was forced to mention it?

I suppose some people view it that way, I'm just not one of them. Having said that, my intent is not to bash Tim Cook. My intent is to say that I don't care about him being gay and That it is his business. He didn't have to tell the world about it. Now, there is a news article I read yesterday or the day before about an ex-gay person. Will her coming out as being ex-gay be as welcoming? Just curious!

Last edited:

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
That's what we do. And we are simply saying we'd like to be treated like we treat others. That is, we don't bore others with our personal lives, and don't want the same done to us.

Well you just bored me to death with that response. :)

You were supposed to throw the Bible at me.

Obviously I am just messing with you. I respect your opinion.

ಠ益ಠ

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods