How can Apple avoid another iPhone 5c?

iMore.com

Administrator
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site

Apple doesn't break out sales numbers for individual iPhone models, but other companies keep an eye on things. And since the iPhone 5c and 5s were introduced last fall, one thing's become clear: the iPhone 5c hasn't sold in huge numbers. How can Apple avoid that going forward?

Full story from the iMore Blog...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Stop listening to analysts, tech journalists and others and do what Apple knows is the best course of action based on its own history and other important information.

Kashan Osama

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
too much fanboyism in above 2 replies,What I can see is Apple can hold to their premium phone pricing strategy without caring about midrange experience,or introducing an actually low-cost product,or pricing it lower

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
too much fanboyism in above 2 replies,What I can see is Apple can hold to their premium phone pricing strategy without caring about midrange experience,or introducing an actually low-cost product,or pricing it lower

The only difference in my reply and yours is the fact that yours is more detailed. I'm basically saying the same thing....:)...As for being a fanboy, I was without question a Blackberry fanboy with blind loyalty to the brand. I do not have blind loyalty to Apple or any other brand at this point, however, I am unapologetically content with my Apple devices and confident within myself to not care what anyone else thinks about it....:D

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
This was what I got out of the first Paragraph that always iswhat any company cares about:
since the iPhone 5c and iPhone 5s were introduced last fall, one thing's become clear: the iPhone 5c sales haven't burned up the charts. How can Apple avoid that going forward?
Above is what any company ever worries about is the bottom dollar - Stop worrying about what everyone else thinks, The Sales will come and so will the dollars. If Apple gives in now which they never have, Then everyone else will say I told you so and they win. Apple will always be the winner here.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site

Lol being an iPhone user for only 11 months I don't qualify as a Fanboy yet but I'm striving toward it everyday

iMore Ambassador -iPhone 5s

anon7833325

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site

Given that Steve Jobs once had a "we don't make junk" rant about Apple's products and pricing, I'll go out on a limb and say they'll never make a Moto G type phone that they'd sell for under $200 off contract. The iPhone 5C was as close as they were going to get to that.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

cinematicme

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
There's a misconception that the 5c failed, it hasn't, it still sells, just not as much as the flagship.

Given the choice on the upgrade path or for a new contract, a lot of subscribers opt for the 5C because of the price, over the 5S especially for the age groups of 10-23.

I see A LOT of them, in fact just today I've fixed 4. 2x yellow, 1x pink, 1x green

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kashan Osama

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Given that Steve Jobs once had a "we don't make junk" rant about Apple's products and pricing, I'll go out on a limb and say they'll never make a Moto G type phone that they'd sell for under $200 off contract. The iPhone 5C was as close as they were going to get to that.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

So any reasonably priced product automatically becomes junk????? And a device with last year's hardware and going out of norm dor the first time with plastic but priced insanely in odd fashion is a well defined product?

And yes 5c did sell well,but imho this was due to brand recognition or the other category can said to be as those people who were extremely tight on budgets...it is about setting a suitable price...had they got that right then. 3 million units werent biting the dust

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
So any reasonably priced product automatically becomes junk????? And a device with last year's hardware and going out of norm dor the first time with plastic but priced insanely in odd fashion is a well defined product?

And yes 5c did sell well,but imho this was due to brand recognition or the other category can said to be as those people who were extremely tight on budgets...it is about setting a suitable price...had they got that right then. 3 million units werent biting the dust

My choosing a 5c was not due to brand recognition and definitely not price.

I used to hate apple and thought they always sold the same tired out products. I felt there was no variety or flavor to their devices. Until I saw that pretty blue 5c that is.

I buy my phones right out, there was a minuscule $100 difference between the c and the s. I even went on to purchase a 5s less than a month later on my other line.

I think the 5c was meant to catch attention. Be it positive or negative, people are talking about it right?

Sent from my electronic device using Tapatalk.

anon7833325

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site

Never said that. I would appreciate you not putting words in my mouth. My point merely is that Apple does not feel compelled to make that type of phone. In the US, and other places with subsidized carrier pricing, knocking $100 off the price each year is reasonable. In other places, probably not so much. Had they merely kept the iPhone 5 as it was, no one would really be complaining about that. "Reasonably priced" is a subjective term.

To your second point, I would say most phones sell, or don't sell, based on brand recognition by this point. Whether it be Apple, Samsung, HTC or anyone else. Most commercials don't have to "sell" a phone anymore. They merely have to show a person why it's cool.

Sent from my iPhone 5S or iPad mini

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
My choosing a 5c was not due to brand recognition and definitely not price.

I used to hate apple and thought they always sold the same tired out products. I felt there was no variety or flavor to their devices. Until I saw that pretty blue 5c that is.

I buy my phones right out, there was a minuscule $100 difference between the c and the s. I even went on to purchase a 5s less than a month later on my other line.

I think the 5c was meant to catch attention. Be it positive or negative, people are talking about it right?

Sent from my electronic device using Tapatalk.

I think it sold in numbers many other companies envy too...it's not been a complete failure like it has been said to be.

Kashan Osama

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I think it sold in numbers many other companies envy too...it's not been a complete failure like it has been said to be.

Never said that. I would appreciate you not putting words in my mouth. My point merely is that Apple does not feel compelled to make that type of phone. In the US, and other places with subsidized carrier pricing, knocking $100 off the price each year is reasonable. In other places, probably not so much. Had they merely kept the iPhone 5 as it was, no one would really be complaining about that. "Reasonably priced" is a subjective term.

To your second point, I would say most phones sell, or don't sell, based on brand recognition by this point. Whether it be Apple, Samsung, HTC or anyone else. Most commercials don't have to "sell" a phone anymore. They merely have to show a person why it's cool.

Sent from my iPhone 5S or iPad mini

had they kept,they should have kept it,and why no one complained??? because it would be a last year's product...now re-releasing an iphone 5 with plastic after one whole year and charging a premium is a rip-off..

and people saying iPhone makes similer products and 5c was a bit different so I bought it/people bought it or talked about it,well if a plastic case brings "THAT" much change for you...good luck then...

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
and people saying iPhone makes similer products and 5c was a bit different so I bought it/people bought it or talked about it,well if a plastic case brings "THAT" much change for you...good luck then...

It catches eyes. For me, it was simply that Apple took a risk. They did something "unapologetically untraditional". That was enough for me to put aside my usual contention for them and experience my first iPhone. I have no regrets and I don't think Apple should either.

?Sent from a very sexy device... Rawr?

Kashan Osama

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
It catches eyes. For me, it was simply that Apple took a risk. They did something "unapologetically untraditional". That was enough for me to put aside my usual contention for them and experience my first iPhone. I have no regrets and I don't think Apple should either.

People go to any extent defending an iphone :/

P.s i myself an ios user

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
People go to any extent defending an iphone :/

P.s i myself an ios user

What I'm saying is that I originally hated them. I was an Android user. I'd never once defended or played a fan girl to them. However, I liked that they risked making the move they did with the 5c. It was them basically telling me "It's okay to like phones with plastic". That was enough to have me try out their product for the first time. I did end up getting a 5s too but I still use my 5c more.

Kashan Osama

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
What I'm saying is that I originally hated them. I was an Android user. I'd never once defended or played a fan girl to them. However, I liked that they risked making the move they did with the 5c. It was them basically telling me "It's okay to like phones with plastic". That was enough to have me try out their product for the first time. I did end up getting a 5s too but I still use my 5c more.

ahan okay that is reasonable mam :)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73