Until DRM dies, iTunes is no worse a video lock-in than Amazon, Google, or anyone else

iMore.com

Administrator
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site

itunes_for_icloud_mockup.jpg

Horizontal lock-ins are harder to see than vertical ones. When you buy a movie or TV show or book from iTunes, you know it'll only work on Apple devices. If you own anything else, all that content might as well be dead to you. When you buy a movie or TV show or book from Amazon or Google, however, it can feel like a safer investment, like you can play it anywhere and on anything. But it only seems that way. The truth is, you can only ever play your content on the devices the content and service provider ? any provider ? allows you to play them on, and only for as long as they allow it. We're just as locked to Google's will and servers, and Amazon's, and anyone else's. And we will be until such time as DRM (Digital Rights Management) is dead.

Full story from the iMore Blog...

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
While it might not be the solution for everyone / the masses, DRM is more an annoyance than a problem. First gen AppleTV to the rescue...

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm assuming drm only applies to movies shows and books then? I have no problem transferring music to none apple devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm not thinking this is any sort of news but it is something I constantly lament when I try to transfer Apple stuff over to other platforms. It is the nature of the business though.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73