While most of the smartphone world has long since moved on from physical keyboards, Kevin Michaluk believes there's still an important place, and 5 important use-cases, for them. CrackBerry:

Full story from the iMore Blog...
    01-20-2014 07:20 PM
    Personally, I wouldn't mind having a physical keyboard, but not at the expense of screen real estate. As for the Blackberry looking keyboard attachment, I think it would be worth it if I was unable to type fluently with the virtual keyboard, but since using a virtual keyboard is not a problem for me, it's a no-go using the keyboard attachment.
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 01-20-2014 at 10:28 PM.
    iOS Gravity likes this.
    01-20-2014 07:26 PM
    Nope. I'm good. I had my time with BB's and moved on. I'm quite content with my iPhone keyboard.
    01-20-2014 10:15 PM
    I'm completely satisfied with no keyboard.
    Didn't have one on my BB either (Storm2) ha
    Good Luck
    01-20-2014 10:23 PM
    Personally, I wouldn't mind having a screen keyboard, but not at the expense of screen real estate. As for the Blackberry looking keyboard attachment, I think it would be worth it if I was unable to type fluently with the virtual keyboard, but since using a virtual keyboard is not a problem for me, it's a no-go using the keyboard attachment.
    Couldn't have said it better.
    Last edited by iOS Gravity; 01-21-2014 at 06:54 PM.
    01-20-2014 10:26 PM
    No thanks, I'm good.
    01-20-2014 10:51 PM
    I'm gooooood. Can't change the way a physical keyboard looks and they wear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    01-20-2014 11:02 PM
    I did like the BB keyboard on my BB. Don't have a need for it on my iPhone.
    01-20-2014 11:27 PM
    With auto correct being as good as it is and the ability (for me personally) to be able to type faster on a screen than a physical keyboard, I wouldn't want to use a physical keyboard anymore. I also remember with my former BlackBerry devices having issues with the keyboard; keys falling off, backlighting spotty, debris getting in between the keys. No thanks.

Sent from my iPhone 5S. The "S" is for sexy.
    01-21-2014 12:34 AM
    One of my favorite phones I've owned was the 9930. I loved that keyboard and pretty much everything about the phone. I have thought about trying a Q10 but I don't know that I could use it as my daily driver. I'm used to the touch screen now. I have no interest in this Typo thing though. It's blackberry or nothing for physical keyboards.

Sent using Tapatalk
    01-21-2014 09:27 AM
    Despite all our emotions and biased views.. the truth remains that people still REALLY want a physical keyboard. They could be in the minority but the fact remains that they exist. The Typo just proved it.

Posted via Mobile Nations App on my Z mfk'n 10!
    01-21-2014 05:38 PM
    Despite all our emotions and biased views.. the truth remains that people still REALLY want a physical keyboard. They could be in the minority but the fact remains that they exist. The Typo just proved it.

Sure, there are some people that would appreciate a physical keyboard. But are there enough of them to make manufacturers want to take the extra cost in making them? Probably not.

01-22-2014 01:44 AM
    Personally, I wouldn't mind having a physical keyboard, but not at the expense of screen real estate. As for the Blackberry looking keyboard attachment, I think it would be worth it if I was unable to type fluently with the virtual keyboard, but since using a virtual keyboard is not a problem for me, it's a no-go using the keyboard attachment.
    I'm with you 100% on this. As much as I hate to admit it I suck at typing on my iPod Touch.
    01-22-2014 02:42 AM
    As a BlackBerry Q10 user I wouldn't want a keyboard on the iPhone. The keyboard on iOS is great, autocorrection could still use some work but that doesn't mean the keyboard is bad. My iPad has a logitech mini keyboard folio for when I want to type out longer messages and drafts. It suits the device. In essence this would be like taking my Z10 and adding a keyboard to it. I think some will like having the option but for me if a keyboard isn't built with the device from the OEM it just doesn't feel the same.
    Last edited by goku_vegeta; 02-25-2014 at 07:31 PM.
    01-25-2014 11:09 AM
    Ew. No.
    01-25-2014 02:37 PM
    From a former physical keyboard user I miss it but am content with my iPhone enough to not need it

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB
    Just_Me_D and iOS Gravity like this.
    01-25-2014 03:20 PM
    I loved the form factor of my old Samsung Stratosphere. The added bulk was a nonissue for the usefulness of the slider keyboard. To bad the internals sucked. You haven't known pain until you've signed a 2 year contract for a mid range Gingerbread phone. If I'd known more about Smartphones when I'd bought it, I would have known that it sucked then.

Now I just bought the biggest phone I could find and the touch keyboard works ok for me on that lol

I can't even really fathom a slider iPhone though and I hate BB style keyboards
    01-25-2014 04:54 PM
    I no longer want or need a physical keyboard. It took me a while to adjust to the iPhone virtual keyboard but now I am very comfortable typing on it.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app
    01-25-2014 07:29 PM
    You know, I kind of do want one.

Although I have learned to manage (sort of) using the on-screen keyboard, I miss having an actual keyboard to type with. If I am writing more than a few lines, I often end up dictating, rather than typing--with the amusing autocorrects that come with THAT. I have a Logitech keyboard cover for my iPad mini, and (as can be seen from my username) I came from a history of physical keyboard devices. Not Blackberries, but Palms. When I had my HandSpring Visor, I even got the ThumBoard keyboard for it. I am a person for whom having a physical keyboard would be preferred.

I know that I am in the vast minority, but I also know that I am not the only one.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app
    01-26-2014 02:49 PM

I guess there is something intriguing about a smartphone with a physical qwerty keyboard.

01-26-2014 05:11 PM
    I wouldn't mind the option of the physical keyboard. I bet if BlackBerry made a typo-like keyboard for the iPhone I'm sure they would do a better job in the looks and ergonomics. That might sway a few more people

Sent from the iMore Forums App
    01-26-2014 05:25 PM
    No thank you…I'm good!! I use to like the physical keyboard on my BB until the h key stopped working. Never knew how much I used that key until I didn't have it anymore. The virtual keyboard is much better for me.
    ThePinkChameleon and pr1nce like this.
    01-26-2014 06:17 PM
    Physical keyboard may add to the things to go wrong list. With a virtual keyboard only the display or touch screen can faultier. I'm happy with either.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app
    01-26-2014 06:23 PM
    I miss the BlackBerry keyboard a lot! I'm wouldn't mind one on my iPhone. I hate atockrrext.

But I do like the large screen. So, it's a trade off.
    01-30-2014 04:24 AM

How many 1 or 2?
    I know how much you hate facts and prefer conjecture and bias. HOWEVER:

It looks like blackberry is consistently loosing revenue year after year, which directly invalidates your presumption that people STILL REALLY want a physical keyboard.

WOW look at those revenues drop "like its hot."
    nikkisharif likes this.
    06-30-2014 09:09 AM
36 12