Anyone REALLY still want a physical keyboard on their iPhone?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I wouldn't mind having a physical keyboard, but not at the expense of screen real estate. As for the Blackberry looking keyboard attachment, I think it would be worth it if I was unable to type fluently with the virtual keyboard, but since using a virtual keyboard is not a problem for me, it's a no-go using the keyboard attachment.

Last edited:

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I wouldn't mind having a screen keyboard, but not at the expense of screen real estate. As for the Blackberry looking keyboard attachment, I think it would be worth it if I was unable to type fluently with the virtual keyboard, but since using a virtual keyboard is not a problem for me, it's a no-go using the keyboard attachment.

Couldn't have said it better.

Last edited:

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
With auto correct being as good as it is and the ability (for me personally) to be able to type faster on a screen than a physical keyboard, I wouldn't want to use a physical keyboard anymore. I also remember with my former BlackBerry devices having issues with the keyboard; keys falling off, backlighting spotty, debris getting in between the keys. No thanks.

Sent from my iPhone 5S. The "S" is for sexy.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
One of my favorite phones I've owned was the 9930. I loved that keyboard and pretty much everything about the phone. I have thought about trying a Q10 but I don't know that I could use it as my daily driver. I'm used to the touch screen now. I have no interest in this Typo thing though. It's blackberry or nothing for physical keyboards.

Sent using Tapatalk

anon3230140

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Despite all our emotions and biased views.. the truth remains that people still REALLY want a physical keyboard. They could be in the minority but the fact remains that they exist. The Typo just proved it.

Posted via Mobile Nations App on my Z mfk'n 10!

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Despite all our emotions and biased views.. the truth remains that people still REALLY want a physical keyboard. They could be in the minority but the fact remains that they exist. The Typo just proved it.

Posted via Mobile Nations App on my Z mfk'n 10!

Sure, there are some people that would appreciate a physical keyboard. But are there enough of them to make manufacturers want to take the extra cost in making them? Probably not.

zdn1042

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I wouldn't mind having a physical keyboard, but not at the expense of screen real estate. As for the Blackberry looking keyboard attachment, I think it would be worth it if I was unable to type fluently with the virtual keyboard, but since using a virtual keyboard is not a problem for me, it's a no-go using the keyboard attachment.

I'm with you 100% on this. As much as I hate to admit it I suck at typing on my iPod Touch.

goku_vegeta

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
As a BlackBerry Q10 user I wouldn't want a keyboard on the iPhone. The keyboard on iOS is great, autocorrection could still use some work but that doesn't mean the keyboard is bad. My iPad has a logitech mini keyboard folio for when I want to type out longer messages and drafts. It suits the device. In essence this would be like taking my Z10 and adding a keyboard to it. I think some will like having the option but for me if a keyboard isn't built with the device from the OEM it just doesn't feel the same.

Last edited:

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
From a former physical keyboard user I miss it but am content with my iPhone enough to not need it

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I loved the form factor of my old Samsung Stratosphere. The added bulk was a nonissue for the usefulness of the slider keyboard. To bad the internals sucked. You haven't known pain until you've signed a 2 year contract for a mid range Gingerbread phone. If I'd known more about Smartphones when I'd bought it, I would have known that it sucked then.

Now I just bought the biggest phone I could find and the touch keyboard works ok for me on that lol

I can't even really fathom a slider iPhone though and I hate BB style keyboards

Fit24

Trusted Member
Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I no longer want or need a physical keyboard. It took me a while to adjust to the iPhone virtual keyboard but now I am very comfortable typing on it.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

treodoc755

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
You know, I kind of do want one.

Although I have learned to manage (sort of) using the on-screen keyboard, I miss having an actual keyboard to type with. If I am writing more than a few lines, I often end up dictating, rather than typing--with the amusing autocorrects that come with THAT. I have a Logitech keyboard cover for my iPad mini, and (as can be seen from my username) I came from a history of physical keyboard devices. Not Blackberries, but Palms. When I had my HandSpring Visor, I even got the ThumBoard keyboard for it. I am a person for whom having a physical keyboard would be preferred.

I know that I am in the vast minority, but I also know that I am not the only one.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
junanaza.jpg

I guess there is something intriguing about a smartphone with a physical qwerty keyboard.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice