Twitter Spaces was disabled overnight during a massive call discussing a controversial ban on several high-profile journalists. Full story from the iMore Blog...
    12-16-2022 07:12 AM
    From the article — “…Elon Musk's decision to ban a bot that tracks his private jet and several high-profile journalists who reported on the story.”

That’s not my understanding. My understanding is the journalists were banned because they were using the bot to track his movements in real-time.

We’ve seen article after article and saw several news reports about people, especially woman, being stalked with AirTags. The bot used to track Musk is doing so in real-time. How is that not considered stalking to a greater degree?

It was reported that Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban gave a UCF student tickets to a Mavs game if he agreed to stop tracking his movements in real-time. Whether you like them or not, tracking in real-time is a safety concern. Period.
    12-16-2022 10:26 AM
    Just think what it would be like if these people would focus their efforts in a direction that would benefit society! Instead, they waste it on stupid/criminal endeavors. SMH...
    12-16-2022 10:34 AM
    Just think what it would be like if these people would focus their efforts in a direction that would benefit society! Instead, they waste it on stupid/criminal endeavors. SMH...
    Exactly

Here’s an excerpt from the news articles between the UCF student and Mark Cuban from a news article.

[“How much?” Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban wrote. “You tell me what you want so I can end this risk to my family’s safety.”

Sweeney asked for the Tesla that Musk didn’t give him. Oh, and to attend a Mavs game. Cuban offered instead to be a “friend for life” and his Gmail address, which Sweeney pointed out was fairly easy to come by. “You get business advice from me,” Cuban wrote. And the NBA game? “Sure. Next season.”

Sweeney complied, sort of. He took down the public Twitter account but still shares Cuban’s jet locations with a smaller audience on the social app Discord.]

https://www.tampabay.com/life-cultur...-plan-to-stop/
    12-16-2022 10:43 AM
    Somebody is actually still trying to defend musk. That’s interesting.
    12-16-2022 10:50 AM
    Somebody is actually still trying to defend musk. That’s interesting.
    Defend musk? You’re kidding right? You can’t separate the person from the dangerous issue of stalking?
    12-16-2022 10:56 AM
    12-16-2022 10:57 AM
    Defend musk? You’re kidding right? You can’t separate the person from the dangerous issue of stalking?
    You’re understanding of the facts is limited. The journalists were covering the story. One journalist was suspended for repeating the LAPD statement on musks claims. If you want to take the stalking angle then go ahead. But understand the basic facts first.
    12-16-2022 11:04 AM
    Wow... just wow!
    Indeed.
    12-16-2022 11:05 AM
    You’re understanding of the facts is limited. The journalists were covering the story. One journalist was suspended for repeating the LAPD statement on musks claims. If you want to take the stalking angle then go ahead. But understand the basic facts first.
    I doubt that, but okay.
    12-16-2022 11:12 AM
    Indeed.
    I was referring to the fact that the young man is 19 and essentially blackmailing the people he's tracking. Yes, he's brilliant, but I don't agree with his tactics. It would be awesome if he could put his talents to better use.
    12-16-2022 11:35 AM
    I was referring to the fact that the young man is 19 and essentially blackmailing the people he's tracking. Yes, he's brilliant, but I don't agree with his tactics. It would be awesome if he could put his talents to better use.
    The billionaire oligarch plain tracking has been a thing for quite awhile now. It is public data but I get wanting privacy. I’m just pointing out that he is actually banning journalists for just covering the story not for covering the story while including details of the plane.
    12-16-2022 11:48 AM
    The billionaire oligarch plain tracking has been a thing for quite awhile now. It is public data but I get wanting privacy. I’m just pointing out that he is actually banning journalists for just covering the story not for covering the story while including details of the plane.
    Understood.
    grover5 likes this.
    12-16-2022 11:49 AM
    Don't understand some of the rude behavior on this subject. Lots of facts involved - yes, there were issues with doxxing where information was shared showing Musk's immediate/approximate locations - even though it was harvested using publicly available information. This would be a concern for anyone if it happened to them. But Musk is also casting an extremely wide net without care of who it's catching when going after supposed 'doxxing' posts.

Matt Binder of Mashable was banned for just posting a screenshot that "showed a statement from the Los Angeles Police Department sent earlier Thursday to multiple media outlets, including The Associated Press, about how it was in touch with Musk's representatives about the alleged stalking incident, but that no crime report had yet been filed." Musk's banning is looking to be rather extreme and is seems to be going against what he said about protecting free speech. He claimed the old Twitter management was banning and shadow-banning, and creating "do not amplify" accounts that didn't meet their political views (which was proven as accurate when he released the internal emails/memos from the previous board). But he's also doing the same thing by banning those accounts where he doesn't like the content of the tweets (ie: Matt Binder example). I've got to guess that it's hard to have power to do stuff and also have enough restraint not to use that power when you want.

It will all shake out eventually, just seems to be a lot of emotion involved everywhere. <shrug>

/my 2 cents
    Lee_Bo likes this.
    12-16-2022 11:52 AM
    Don't understand some of the rude behavior on this subject. Lots of facts involved - yes, there were issues with doxxing where information was shared showing Musk's immediate/approximate locations - even though it was harvested using publicly available information. This would be a concern for anyone if it happened to them. But Musk is also casting an extremely wide net without care of who it's catching when going after supposed 'doxxing' posts.

Matt Binder of Mashable was banned for just posting a screenshot that "showed a statement from the Los Angeles Police Department sent earlier Thursday to multiple media outlets, including The Associated Press, about how it was in touch with Musk's representatives about the alleged stalking incident, but that no crime report had yet been filed." Musk's banning is looking to be rather extreme and is seems to be going against what he said about protecting free speech. He claimed the old Twitter management was banning and shadow-banning, and creating "do not amplify" accounts that didn't meet their political views (which was proven as accurate when he released the internal emails/memos from the previous board). But he's also doing the same thing by banning those accounts where he doesn't like the content of the tweets (ie: Matt Binder example). I've got to guess that it's hard to have power to do stuff and also have enough restraint not to use that power when you want.

It will all shake out eventually, just seems to be a lot of emotion involved everywhere. <shrug>

/my 2 cents
    Well said!!!
    12-16-2022 12:06 PM

/my 2 cents
    There is definitely some truth to this. I would not say the claims about previous Twitter management were proven accurate. I think there is more nuance to that discussion. But I do agree that the privacy issue is real. In my opinion his use of it to excuse his behavior is disingenuous.
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    12-16-2022 12:52 PM
    There is definitely some truth to this. I would not say the claims about previous Twitter management were proven accurate. I think there is more nuance to that discussion. But I do agree that the privacy issue is real. In my opinion his use of it to excuse his behavior is disingenuous.
    Very fair point
    grover5 likes this.
    12-16-2022 01:22 PM

/my 2 cents
    Musk didn't ban them. It was a 7 day suspension. But he put it up for users to vote on. And users voted the 1 day suspension, so the suspension was lifted.
    12-18-2022 09:52 AM
    I think that knowing/ finding someone’s location, in real or unreal time is legal. But I think broadcasting that information, no matter how, is illegal.
    12-18-2022 12:07 PM
    I think that knowing/ finding someone’s location, in real or unreal time is legal. But I think broadcasting that information, no matter how, is illegal.
    He lied about the stalker. He never filed a police report. Musk is a bit of an *****.
    12-18-2022 01:26 PM
    The latest news from Twitter is that mentioning that you’re on other social media platforms is forbidden, and that you will be banned. That came into effect at noon today, without warning: https://help.twitter.com/en/rules-an...atforms-policy

It happened to Taylor Lorenz: https://mastodon.social/@taylorloren...36131159097693

At this point, I hope the antitrust regulators investigate Twitter for anti-competitive practices. And if Twitter wants to ban me, be my guest.
    12-18-2022 02:08 PM
    12-18-2022 04:35 PM
    [IMG=1024x955]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221218/e323ba27a1d29196465cd573c0cb14fa.jpg[/url]
    Let’s see how well that goes for him.

Last I checked, there’s a bill that went to the Senate that will regulate what Twitter (and other intermediaries) can and cannot financially impose in regards to licensed press outlets.
    12-18-2022 05:06 PM
    12-18-2022 05:08 PM
    What’s Twitter? Elon who???
    12-19-2022 05:29 AM