The iPhone mini could continue on in the iPhone SE

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Apple has something special with the iPhone mini and abandoning it this early would be a mistake.

Full story from the iMore Blog...

Great article !! I was one of the “stuck in the large screen user” era…until I walked into Best Buy last week and got to hold and use the 13 mini. WOW !! It blew my mind at what I was missing…. The nostalgic feel of the 5S with all new faster gears inside. I ditched my 12 Pro to move up to the 13 mini…I’m 1-1/2 weeks in and not looking back or regretting my decision to downsize my screen. The mini currently holds my heart…..OH, did I mention the perfect baby pink color that it is, is just the icing on the cake to the awesome gears that work inside !!!

Just my .02¢

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
How about they keep the fingerprint scanner at the bottom of the SE and expand the screen to the top? The SE (overall) is the perfect size for me to hold. A bit of a larger screen and maybe updated camera (not a deal breaker though) I think would be awesome.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
There has to be a time that the SE form factor dies and a new SE form factor arises. Given Apple has the engineering done on the Mini, it does make sense this could be the new SE form factor when, assumingely a new SE is released in 2 years. As TgeekB said, they could leave the fingerprint button at the bottom but bring the screen all the way to the top. Makes sense and theoretically saves cost over the top to bottom screen on the current Mini. Apple needs to reduce the cost by about 250$, So single camera lens, no FaceID, smaller and lower quality screen. no MagSafe, probably a smaller battery, probably lower RAM. It seems like that gets it almost done without too much re-rengineering cost. One thing from the article that is funny IMHO is cutting out 5G mmWave capability. mmWave is a laughably oversold feature.

anon(41073)

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
There has to be a time that the SE form factor dies and a new SE form factor arises. Given Apple has the engineering done on the Mini, it does make sense this could be the new SE form factor when, assumingely a new SE is released in 2 years. As TgeekB said, they could leave the fingerprint button at the bottom but bring the screen all the way to the top. Makes sense and theoretically saves cost over the top to bottom screen on the current Mini. Apple needs to reduce the cost by about 250$, So single camera lens, no FaceID, smaller and lower quality screen. no MagSafe, probably a smaller battery, probably lower RAM. It seems like that gets it almost done without too much re-rengineering cost. One thing from the article that is funny IMHO is cutting out 5G mmWave capability. mmWave is a laughably oversold feature.

Keeping touch ID on the bottom makes no sense being that Apple was already granted a patent for having touch ID in the power button. The already use Touch ID on the power button for the Ipad Air. So a Mini with touch ID in the power button would probably be more likely to happen. The other patent that Apple was granted for inscreen touch ID would probably be for the higher end models.

https://wccftech.com/apple-might-incorporate-touch-id-in-power-button-on-future-iphone-models/

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Keeping touch ID on the bottom makes no sense being that Apple was already granted a patent for having touch ID in the power button. The already use Touch ID on the power button for the Ipad Air. So a Mini with touch ID in the power button would probably be more likely to happen. The other patent that Apple was granted for inscreen touch ID would probably be for the higher end models.

https://wccftech.com/apple-might-incorporate-touch-id-in-power-button-on-future-iphone-models/

Good points. Hadn’t thought of that. The power button Touch ID would be killer. It works great on my iPad Air.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
I don’t disagree with that premise. This issue may be if the target market of SE prefer the home button. As well as the smaller screen may help get the iPhone mini cost down below that 450$ mark. But the iPhone mini form factor including the screen size is already engineered. That in itself may be a big savings as well as having a bigger screen on a form factor slightly shorter than the SE.

personally I’m not a huge fan of the power button fingerprint ID. That’s my own personal preference. It’s definitely not bad — it’s on my iPad Mini — but between faceID, home button finger id and power button id, the power button finger id is the least easy to use (I’m a big fan of faceid).

anon(41073)

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
You must be really excited for this!

Nobody wanted an out dated phone.

"Looking at the poll results, most people who want an iPhone want something more capable than the SE. Surprisingly few people are interested in upgrading from an older iPhone. Part of that is probably because the outdated design – we don’t mean just the looks, but having a screen that’s barely above HD resolution and a single camera is a tough sell these days, even for a “cheap” phone."
https://www.gsmarena.com/weekly_poll_results_iphone_se_2022_sees_little_love-news-53611.php

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Nobody wanted an out dated phone.

"Looking at the poll results, most people who want an iPhone want something more capable than the SE. Surprisingly few people are interested in upgrading from an older iPhone. Part of that is probably because the outdated design – we don’t mean just the looks, but having a screen that’s barely above HD resolution and a single camera is a tough sell these days, even for a “cheap” phone."
https://www.gsmarena.com/weekly_poll_results_iphone_se_2022_sees_little_love-news-53611.php

Let me quote you “sales don’t matter”. It will still outsell the Pixel line so I guess people don’t want them either.

Bottom line, thankfully, there are a variety of different choices for people who want different things. iOS, Android, large, small, expensive, affordable……that’s a good thing for consumers and we shouldn’t be against it. Don’t you agree? We don’t want a monopoly.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
It's a flop. Just like the poll shows,majority of iphone users do not want it because there are better options. Those poor scecs in 2022 are unacceptable. The people have spoken.

.https://finance.yahoo.com/video/apple-cuts-iphone-se-production-200036770.html

I disagree it’s a flop because it will still outsell most Android phones. It will, perhaps, be combined with the mini line into one product. We will see.

At some point, as usual, you will cry victim and claim you are being attacked though it is clear you have an agenda. I will watch closely how those in charge respond.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
So far I am thrilled by the performance of the new SE. Faster than any Android phone. Better battery life. Some, not all, of us still like the fingerprint scanner.

Choice.

Choice.

Choice.

anon(41073)

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
I disagree it’s a flop because it will still outsell most Android phones. It will, perhaps, be combined with the mini line into one product. We will see.

At some point, as usual, you will cry victim and claim you are being attacked though it is clear you have an agenda. I will watch closely how those in charge respond.

What does Android phones even have to do with the conversation? Who is even discussing Android. First you were talking about the Pixel, Not even part of the discussion. It's about the Ihone Mini living on as the SE because it has the features that most people want not the SE. That's the reason why people in the Poll didn't want the SE and why Apple has slashed production. HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH ANDROID

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
It's a flop. Just like the poll shows,majority of iphone users do not want it because there are better options. Those poor scecs in 2022 are unacceptable. The people have spoken.

.https://finance.yahoo.com/video/apple-cuts-iphone-se-production-200036770.html

“People not necessarily looking to spend a lot of money outside of perhaps, having to buy groceries, and gas-- things along those lines-- the necessities-- so Apple making this cut.

But on the other hand, this also, usually isn't the big selling time for Apple. Yes, the iPhone SE just came out, but it's not going to be a major volume seller like the regular iPhone line-- the 13, which itself isn't that large of a volume seller so-- the mini rather. We could say from the regular 13 to the Pro Max, those are really the big sellers for Apple.”

anon(41073)

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
“People not necessarily looking to spend a lot of money outside of perhaps, having to buy groceries, and gas-- things along those lines-- the necessities-- so Apple making this cut.

But on the other hand, this also, usually isn't the big selling time for Apple. Yes, the iPhone SE just came out, but it's not going to be a major volume seller like the regular iPhone line-- the 13, which itself isn't that large of a volume seller so-- the mini rather. We could say from the regular 13 to the Pro Max, those are really the big sellers for Apple.”
https://hothardware.com/news/budget-iphone-se-production-allegedly-slashed-millions-poor-demand

Budget iPhone SE Production Allegedly Slashed By Millions Amid Poor Demand"

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2