Samsung leads Apple in smartphone shipments in North America

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
Apple’s share might plummet this current quarter. I know this because there were numerous articles that said the new Pixel 6 is the historically oft used and dreaded “IPhone Killer”.
Back to reality, it isn’t surprising to see Samsung have a big or even biggest share. They turn out some of the very best phones in the industry, certainly best on the Android side. But Samsung has a lot of competition (competitions they’ve usually won repeatedly)and likely the least is IPhone. A better story and much more genuine than the clickbait ‘pixel 6 is an iPhone killer’ is, will Pixel 6 finally be the successful Google phone and how much will it cut into N.A. Leading Samsung? Reports do suggest Pixel 6 is by far the best Google phone. And there has been some friction between Google and Samsung in the past regarding Android.
For Apple, picking up 5% share is actually a pretty win for it as well. iPhone 13 started a bit late in September so it will be interesting to see if it can get anymore share or not in the holiday quarter.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
The Pixel 6 Pro is impressive but it’s new Tensor Chipset falls a little short compared to the A15 but it’s a big improvement from the SnapDragon line.

iPhone Killer is yet to be seen!

3519992a1bc5096b9683c6f82fefb6a1.jpg

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
Benchmarks are not good on Tensor even compared to the snapdragon, however, Google would make a not unfair argument that Tensor runs the Pixel software/apps as good as snapdragon based on optimization. I’ve seen their latest marketing saying battery usage is optimized this way too.

As far as Google making a custom chip, eh it is semi-ish custom. It is definitely not an Apple silicon, ground up custom chip design. Anandtech has a great explanation on this, Tensor. It is a Samsung designed chip that Google did some core arrangement tinkering to optimize what they want it to do. But Google doing a new design isn’t stunning. New semiconductor chip design takes huge money and lots f time. Pixel sells about 10 million phones. Monetary Justification for this small % of the market and therefore Google’s return on investment make it unwarranted (when Google thinks a Pixel generation and succeeding will be major sales breakout, I can see them one day trying to go the A series route). But you got it right, the A series is the best portable consumer tech device SOC on the planet, full stop (very very arguably the M series is too). One day it could be dethroned but that day isn’t remotely close to occurring due that time, money and ROI factor.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Benchmarks are not good on Tensor even compared to the snapdragon, however, Google would make a not unfair argument that Tensor runs the Pixel software/apps as good as snapdragon based on optimization. I’ve seen their latest marketing saying battery usage is optimized this way too.

As far as Google making a custom chip, eh it is semi-ish custom. It is definitely not an Apple silicon, ground up custom chip design. Anandtech has a great explanation on this, Tensor. It is a Samsung designed chip that Google did some core arrangement tinkering to optimize what they want it to do. But Google doing a new design isn’t stunning. New semiconductor chip design takes huge money and lots f time. Pixel sells about 10 million phones. Monetary Justification for this small % of the market and therefore Google’s return on investment make it unwarranted (when Google thinks a Pixel generation and succeeding will be major sales breakout, I can see them one day trying to go the A series route). But you got it right, the A series is the best portable consumer tech device SOC on the planet, full stop (very very arguably the M series is too). One day it could be dethroned but that day isn’t remotely close to occurring due that time, money and ROI factor.

No, the pixel doesn’t sell anywhere near 10 million units , the pixel 5 couldn’t even sell 800,000 units.

Factor in the budget series and it might be between 1-2 million total pixels sales per year. That’s hardly any competition for apple.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
iPhone is is certainly gaining ground rapidly in North America. I remember when it used to be under 10 percent.

01a99cf5acfe9e61cde74dd8a42cf7fb.jpg

Last edited:

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
I had read Google ordered a 10 million build on the latest Pixel, so I assumed that was the sales number.Thank you for the correct info.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox