Apple's misguided WFH policy risks losing the best and the brightest talent

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Why is the policy misguided? Some people believe that snorting cocaine makes them work better and yet, the typical employer is not going to tolerate it. Is that employer misguided?

Before the pandemic, this was not a problem. Because of the pandemic, almost everyone had to make an adjustment of some sort. Can they not re-adjust to working at the office? Sure they can. They simply do not want to while also wanting a paycheck.

If you want the freedom to do your own thing then be self-employed. Otherwise, adjust to having to work in the office for someone else like you did prior to the pandemic. That’s my 2¢… ;)

Last edited:

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Why is the policy misguided? Some people believe that snorting cocaine makes them work better and yet, the typical employer is not going to tolerate it. Is that employer misguided?

Before the pandemic, this was not a problem. Because of the pandemic, almost everyone had to make an adjustment of some sort. Can they not re-adjust to working at the office? Sure they can. They simply do not want to while also wanting a paycheck.

If you want the freedom to do your own thing then be self-employed. Otherwise, adjust to having to work in the office for someone else like you did prior to the pandemic. That’s my 2¢… ;)

I agree with you 100%! This new “frame of mind” is really concerning me.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site

The problem is, not just for Apple, how are you going to find employees to do this? Employers are going to have to be the ones to adjust or go out of business. If you think about it, with technology where it is and the ability to now do a lot of work from home, it was inevitable. COVID was just the catalyst to push it forward.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The problem is, not just for Apple, how are you going to find employees to do this? Employers are going to have to be the ones to adjust or go out of business. If you think about it, with technology where it is and the ability to now do a lot of work from home, it was inevitable. COVID was just the catalyst to push it forward.

If the money is right, regardless of the company, there will be people willing to work in the manner the company wants and where the company wants. No company wants to spend a ton of money on an office building just to have it vacant, including Apple. If you can get up and go to Starbucks, the library, a restaurant or your lover’s place to do your work then you can get up and go to the office and work.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
If the money is right, regardless of the company, there will be people willing to work in the manner the company wants and where the company wants. No company wants to spend a ton of money on an office building just to have it vacant, including Apple. If you can get up and go to Starbucks, the library, a restaurant or your lover’s place to do your work then you can get up and go to the office and work.

I always find it interesting when people are adverse to change. Our world is based on constant change yet many people spend their lives stressing over it and fighting it. Business models have changed over the years and have adapted.

I believe Apple has gone out of their way to seemingly build a work environment that makes people comfortable and want to be there. They may not have the same challenges as other businesses (think offices) might.

Some companies are finding it more efficient and cost effective to have a percentage of workers work from home and save money on infrastructure, utilities, etc. I know several local businesses that have done just that.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I find this subject interesting, having discussed it with both sides of the debate. It seems to me that in some circumstances and some tasks there is no benefit whatsoever in commuting to an office environment, apart from justifying the existence of office managers whose space would be more beneficial than their presence. Of course face to face meetings can be reassuring to both parties, and those that need to do so know it perfectly well, particularly if there is a need to negotiate .

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I always find it interesting when people are adverse to change. Our world is based on constant change yet many people spend their lives stressing over it and fighting it. Business models have changed over the years and have adapted.

I believe Apple has gone out of their way to seemingly build a work environment that makes people comfortable and want to be there. They may not have the same challenges as other businesses (think offices) might.

Some companies are finding it more efficient and cost effective to have a percentage of workers work from home and save money on infrastructure, utilities, etc. I know several local businesses that have done just that.

With regard to people being averse to change, I agree. Still, this is more of an adjustment than change. In regard to Apple, its employees are in opposition to readjusting back to the workplace.

Apple has indeed gone out of its way to build a fantastic facility and workplace and spent a great deal of money doing it.

Some companies have indeed found it more efficient and cost saving to have people work from home, but it’s not always about that. Some companies simply want the traditional work environment. It’s their prerogative and if you want to work for the company then you should be prepared to work in accordance to their expectations, including coming to the office to work.

In summary, when you choose to work for someone else, you are also agreeing to work in accordance to their rules and expectations and if you don’t like it, go elsewhere.

Last edited:

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
With regard to people being averse to change, I agree. Still, this is more of an adjustment than change. In regard to Apple, it’s employees are in opposition to readjusting back to the workplace.

Apple has indeed gone out of its way to build a fantastic facility and workplace and spent a great deal of money doing it.

Some companies have indeed found it more efficient and cost saving to have people work from home, but it’s not always about that. Some companies simply want the traditional work environment. It’s their prerogative and if you want to work for the company then you should be prepared to work in accordance their expectations including coming to the office to work.

In summary, when you choose to work for someone else, you are also agreeing to work in accordance to their rules and expectations and if you don’t like it, go elsewhere.

I’m more someone who is pro worker as opposed to pro corporate. The attitude you suggest, from the 1920’s , will hurt many companies. Probably not a giant company like Apple, but certainly smaller companies. The smart ones will adjust accordingly and not demand their workers conform.
We will see though and I’m interested to see where this takes us. I respect your perspective but believe things will never be as they were. I work in a hands on environment (healthcare) so it doesn’t directly affect me. Indirectly though we may lose products or services we have grown to enjoy.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I’m more someone who is pro worker as opposed to pro corporate. The attitude you suggest, from the 1920’s , will hurt many companies. Probably not a giant company like Apple, but certainly smaller companies. The smart ones will adjust accordingly and not demand their workers conform.
We will see though and I’m interested to see where this takes us. I respect your perspective but believe things will never be as they were. I work in a hands on environment (healthcare) so it doesn’t directly affect me. Indirectly though we may lose products or services we have grown to enjoy.

(Laughing)….I’m definitely “old school”. No doubt about it, but this situation is like kids telling parents what they’ll do for an allowance instead of it being the other way around. Anyway. I’m enjoying our conversation and I don’t have a problem with your viewpoint at all. Knowledge can be found in every conversation so keep speaking your mind. Anyway, sorry for the delayed replies. I’m at work and trying to reply when I can.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
(Laughing)….I’m definitely “old school”. No doubt about it, but this situation is like kids telling parents what they’ll do for an allowance instead of it being the other way around. Anyway. I’m enjoying our conversation and I don’t have a problem with your viewpoint at all. Knowledge can be found in every conversation so keep speaking your mind. Anyway, sorry for the delayed replies. I’m at work and trying to reply when I can.

Being able to have meaningful but respectful conversation is the only way we’re going to get out of the divide/mess we’re in. You/we have to listen to the other side.

I’m old school in many ways but I like to think I’m adaptable to the new ways. I believe in working hard to get where you are. Are there people taking advantage of the situation? There sure are and shame on them. Can people work from home and be just as productive as being at work? Yes they can. We need to find the best way to keep people happy yet productive.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2