New antitrust law would ban Apple from preinstalling apps on the iPhone

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
How ridiculous!!!

So now let’s make sure Samsung doesn’t preinstall all of its apps on their devices either then…and any others for that fact.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
But each function is in effect is an app ! Maps for instance , and nobody but a major corporation can pay for and run such a thing . Ridiculous !

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I agree... this is totally ridiculous. I for one, want most of the Apps that come preinstalled on the phone. I delete the ones I don't want without issue!

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Maybe I'd rather use Google Maps, or Waze.

Maybe you would ?! But having to buy an app that used to be native would gripe. It’s still a stupid idea, because apps were originally developed to display a devices ability, and installed for no charge to encourage purchasers to buy a specific piece of hardware,and are now built in to people’s perceptions of particular brands.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
So, we get a phone with no address book, a phone with a camera, but no way to take a photo or video. An iPhone with no way to play your iTunes music. What are they thinking?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Maybe you would ?! But having to buy an app that used to be native would gripe. It’s still a stupid idea, because apps were originally developed to display a devices ability, and installed for no charge to encourage purchasers to buy a specific piece of hardware,and are now built in to people’s perceptions of particular brands.

I didn't see anywhere in the article about having to buy an app that used to be native. You'd just need to download what you want, be it an Apple app or some other.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The iPhone would have to come with at least 2 native apps. Settings and the Phone app. The iPhone is a phone, after all. Your Contacts would be in the phone app, as it is now. Then download whatever other apps you want. Documents and data for Apple apps would sync over from iCloud. Or set up a new iPhone from a back up, as most do. Seems this would mostly affect new first time iPhone users.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Give me an iPhone with the “stock default” apps and let ME decide which ones I want to keep.

Then again, if you restore from backup, it’s kinda a moot issue.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Give me an iPhone with the “stock default” apps and let ME decide which ones I want to keep.

Then again, if you restore from backup, it’s kinda a moot issue.

And others may say, "Let ME decide which apps to download to begin with! Then I won't need to delete those I don't want!". I don't care one way or another. I always set up from my iCloud back up.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Most of you guys are more familiar with US laws than me, but you have to ask yourself the old question “Who benefits ?”. and how ?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner