Get these wired headphones to listen to Lossless Audio on Apple Music

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
So can we agree that; If you pay for Apple Music, and your hearing is good enough, And you buy a decent set of HiFi headphones as well as a separate DAC/amplifier (like wot I said). It is possible that you may be able to gain some benefit from Apple’s High Definition Lossless Audio stream ?

Yes, but with the Apple dongle, I found it not better than Dolby Atmos. I don't get Spatial Audio. Lossless sounded ok at the 2nd tier. I just think Dolby Atmos is better. And, with an Apple listening device, add Spatial Audio, and it's even better, with no wires.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Yes, but with the Apple dongle, I found it not better than Dolby Atmos. I don't get Spatial Audio. Lossless sounded ok at the 2nd tier. I just think Dolby Atmos is better. And, with an Apple listening device, add Spatial Audio, and it's even better, with no wires.

Take a listen to The Doors, “Riders on the Storm”. There is definitely something funky with the Dolby Atmos version compared to the High resolution version from the album.

Dolby Atmos:
https://music.apple.com/us/album/ri...30200&itsct=mobilenationspremier&at=1000l33GT

Album:
https://music.apple.com/us/album/ri...30200&itsct=mobilenationspremier&at=1000l33GT

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Take a listen to The Doors, “Riders on the Storm”. There is definitely something funky with the Dolby Atmos version compared to the High resolution version from the album.

Dolby Atmos:

Album:

I can't get the Hi-Res Lossless with my non Apple headphones and the Apple dongle. I get 24 bit/48 kHz. The Dolby Atmos version sounds more immersive, like I'm in the studio.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I can't get the Hi-Res Lossless with my non Apple headphones and the Apple dongle. I get 24 bit/48 kHz. The Dolby Atmos version sounds more immersive, like I'm in the studio.

I can tell that the engineers on the Dolby Atmos version brought out Jim Morrison’s whisper to be out front, rather than in the ethereal background. It is garish to me. Also, the cymbal comes in towards the center rather than to the right where it should be, as in the high resolution version.

As I understand it, the Dolby Atmos versions of songs and albums have to be remixed and engineered manually to take advantage of the tech. I do like some of the Dolby Atmos music I have heard. I think it is really cool when used properly and is the future of music, if done properly.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site

I think,no, I’m sure,we have been discussing this for a for a fortnight,and had agreed that the Apple dongle was going to be unhelpful in the endeavour to hear better music.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I think,no, I’m sure,we have been discussing this for a for a fortnight,and had agreed that the Apple dongle was going to be unhelpful in the endeavour to hear better music.

It's better than nothing at all, but still like Dolby Atmos better. Most songs in Dolby Atmos sound great. My only issue, is many don't have enough volume for me. I'm hearing impaired. By contrast, the volume on Spotify is much better. Not sure why Apple can't crank it up in Music?!?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
The Apple dongle can do lossless at 24-bit/48kHz. Hi-Res Lossless is another tier that must also be put into Apple Music for use and is 24-bit/192kHz. So the Apple dongle can't properly drive the Hi-Res, but can do standard lossless without any issue. Regardless, unless you are using headphones with decent drivers and all that, it's not worth bothering with. So for the average person the Apple dongle is just fine for lossless.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I can tell that the engineers on the Dolby Atmos version brought out Jim Morrison’s whisper to be out front, rather than in the ethereal background. It is garish to me. Also, the cymbal comes in towards the center rather than to the right where it should be, as in the high resolution version.

As I understand it, the Dolby Atmos versions of songs and albums have to be remixed and engineered manually to take advantage of the tech. I do like some of the Dolby Atmos music I have heard. I think it is really cool when used properly and is the future of music, if done properly.

I agree, I only had to attempt to listen to one song with Dolby Atmos to immediately turn it off forever. Everything was disjointed, out of place, and for some reason, almost exclusively in the left speaker. It was rather aggravating.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I agree, I only had to attempt to listen to one song with Dolby Atmos to immediately turn it off forever. Everything was disjointed, out of place, and for some reason, almost exclusively in the left speaker. It was rather aggravating.

I don't notice that on Dolby Atmos. But I don't have Spatial Audio. Maybe it just does that on Metal songs.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

I didn't notice this either. I suppose different songs sound differently than others do with Dolby Atmos. I most definitely didn't turn it off forever and I'm enjoying the sound with Apple Spatial Audio.