A new bill introduced in North Dakota could see Apple forced to allow other App Stores and payment methods on its iOS devices, something the company says would destroy the iPhone as we know it.

Full story from the iMore Blog...
    02-11-2021 04:51 AM
    So if it passes Apple’s only way out is to cease service to any North Dakota location,and get Apple owners in ND to sue it’s own legislature ? I wonder who’s paying for this bill ?
    02-11-2021 08:52 AM
    Are there even any Apple Stores in North Dakota? No. I am sure you can buy Apple products at 3rd party retail, but I think the bill would hurt them more than Apple.
    Last edited by scruffypig; 02-11-2021 at 10:08 AM.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    02-11-2021 09:53 AM
    Are there even any Apple Stores in North Dakota? No. I am sure you can buy Apple products at 3rd party retail, but I think the bill would hurt them more than Apple.
    I just looked and no, there aren't!
    Spencerdl and scruffypig like this.
    02-11-2021 10:10 AM
    Is this not the least populated state in the US ? I wonder what the broadband coverage is like ?
    02-12-2021 10:45 AM
    I get both sides here. Sure, it's Apples device and platform. They should technically be able to maneuver and secure it how they see fit. When you own and create a product, you should have full autonomy over how it's used.

That said, Apple can be extremely anti-consumer in some of it's stances. I believe this to be an example of that. Apple has a tendency to think less of their consumer. I don't need Apple to protect me from me. I'm competent enough to assume that responsibility without their hand holding. But I'm speaking for me. I also work in an industry where I see first hand how a lot of consumers DO need that hand holding. Apple products are geared towards them. That's not to say the more tech savvy folks won't enjoy the products. I have way too many Apple products to ever say that. But there are some gripes in how Apple handles those of us who could enjoy a little more freedom in how our devices are used.

I also really dislike how Apple prevents devs from advertising the fact that you can typically get a lower subscription price by subscribing to a service directly through that dev rather than through the App Store or installed iOS app. I think that's a shady business move and a lot of people aren't aware they may be paying more by subscribing through Apple. I acknowledge this isn't an Apple imposed fee but rather the dev upcharging the cost to offset the 30%, but still. At least let the devs educate it's customers of that.
    02-12-2021 11:28 AM
    I get both sides here. Sure, it's Apples device and platform. They should technically be able to maneuver and secure it how they see fit. When you own and create a product, you should have full autonomy over how it's used.

That said, Apple can be extremely anti-consumer in some of it's stances. I believe this to be an example of that. Apple has a tendency to think less of their consumer. I don't need Apple to protect me from me. I'm competent enough to assume that responsibility without their hand holding. But I'm speaking for me. I also work in an industry where I see first hand how a lot of consumers DO need that hand holding. Apple products are geared towards them. That's not to say the more tech savvy folks won't enjoy the products. I have way too many Apple products to ever say that. But there are some gripes in how Apple handles those of us who could enjoy a little more freedom in how our devices are used.

I also really dislike how Apple prevents devs from advertising the fact that you can typically get a lower subscription price by subscribing to a service directly through that dev rather than through the App Store or installed iOS app. I think that's a shady business move and a lot of people aren't aware they may be paying more by subscribing through Apple. I acknowledge this isn't an Apple imposed fee but rather the dev upcharging the cost to offset the 30%, but still. At least let the devs educate it's customers of that.
    Apple doesn’t prevent them from doing any such thing. Apple prevents them from selling directly to the user through the app. Hence why Epic Games is huge proponent of the bill, and other big companies that just want to maximize their profits. They see the App Store as a place not that they get to use and pay for business use, but more as a curtesy to Apple (Play Store for Google), and as such feel that 30% is an outrageous fee. It is not. In any such business practice, 30% is average to generous on Apple’s end. Dev’s are still able to link outside of the app through the app, and therefore, can link to their subscriptions on their website through their app. Just not directly stating that it is for the purpose of selling their subscription. That would violate Apple’s ToS, which of course, all developers agree to before they can even have a developer account and send apps to the App Store.
    02-12-2021 06:56 PM
    Apple doesn’t prevent them from doing any such thing. Apple prevents them from selling directly to the user through the app. Hence why Epic Games is huge proponent of the bill, and other big companies that just want to maximize their profits. They see the App Store as a place not that they get to use and pay for business use, but more as a curtesy to Apple (Play Store for Google), and as such feel that 30% is an outrageous fee. It is not. In any such business practice, 30% is average to generous on Apple’s end. Dev’s are still able to link outside of the app through the app, and therefore, can link to their subscriptions on their website through their app. Just not directly stating that it is for the purpose of selling their subscription. That would violate Apple’s ToS, which of course, all developers agree to before they can even have a developer account and send apps to the App Store.
    Ummm are you sure here? There’s a reason Netflix doesn’t allow subscription signups through the Netflix app. Last I checked, you couldn’t advertise or link to your subscriptions outside of the App Store. All subscriptions must be routed through Apple. Give me an example of an app or dev that links you to their website to sign up for their paid service.
    02-12-2021 07:01 PM
    Ummm are you sure here? There’s a reason Netflix doesn’t allow subscription signups through the Netflix app. Last I checked, you couldn’t advertise or link to your subscriptions outside of the App Store. All subscriptions must be routed through Apple. Give me an example of an app or dev that links you to their website to sign up for their paid service.
    02-12-2021 07:07 PM
    Ok so I need to be clear.

YouTube premium is $12.99 if purchased through the app. They are not allowed to advise you that you can pay $9.99 by going to YouTube directly through their app. This would be a violation of the TOS.

What you’ve shown is a dev linking you their your account from the app. That is not the same as promoting a subscription purchase available outside of the App Store to circumvent the 30% slice Apple takes.
    02-12-2021 07:16 PM
    Ok so I need to be clear.

YouTube premium is $12.99 if purchased through the app. They are not allowed to advise you that you can pay $9.99 by going to YouTube directly through their app. This would be a violation of the TOS.

What you’ve shown is a dev linking you their your account from the app. That is not the same as promoting a subscription purchase available outside of the App Store to circumvent the 30% slice Apple takes.
    Precisely what I said in my first post. You can’t say it directly.
    02-12-2021 07:18 PM
    Precisely what I said in my first post. You can’t say it directly.
    Which is exactly what I said Apple prevented in the post you responded to and said “Apple prevents no such thing”...

Edit:
    I said “I also really dislike how Apple prevents devs from advertising the fact that you can typically get a lower subscription price by subscribing to a service directly through that dev rather than through the App Store or installed iOS app.”

So it seems you do acknowledge that lol.
    02-12-2021 07:18 PM