The iPhone will no longer include a power adapter or EarPods in the box

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
They use environmental concerns as the reason. But I doubt that. If buyers have to order those separately, there's still packaging. They just want to sell more stuff. Apple can be really disingenuous.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I never used the EarPods because they were so uncomfortable... but I did use the chargers. But, since this is rather "old news" at this point, I am prepared to adapt!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Do you use the EarPods and charger from your new iPhone? Most don't. Less production equals less pollution.

I can do without the pods, as they don't stay in my ears. Most don't use their charger? I disagree. Maybe most on the forum don't. But the majority of iPhone users out in the wild don't spend on wireless charging. Had I known Apple was gonna pull this stunt, I wouldn't have given one of mine away. I need one more for our needs. I guess I'll have to order one, adding more packaging and production for the environment.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I leave the new ear pods in the box and transfer my old ear pods over to my new iPhone. When the old ear pods die, then I take out new ear pods and go from there. I still have a few pair of the original style ear buds unused. I use those with my MacBook Pro when doing video or audio editing that doesn’t require more detailed listening. I look at it this way, they eventually die and it is good to have a backup pair.

I use my Qi charger for the past few iPhones. I haven’t used the 18 watt USB-C charger that came with my iPhone. I will keep it, since it is great to have a backup. Same with my Watch charger cable. Still using the original that came with my first Watch.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
They still produce them. But now you have to buy them separately, which is their intent. Apple makes about 100% or more profit on their iPhones. I guess that just wasn't enough.

Actually only about 30%.
Apples profit margin have historically Been in the 30%-38% range. Never 100%.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I was only counting what it costs to produce one.

Cost of production isn’t the same as profit or even revenue, far from it. But I suspect what you are referring to is cost of goods sold or cogs for the iPhone, and that is still not at 100%, not even close. I believe this is the first time apple has introduced a completely redesigned iPhone with 5g, 5nm soc, oled displays, upgraded cameras and not increase iPhone prices. That in itself is quite substantial.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I can do without the pods, as they don't stay in my ears. Most don't use their charger? I disagree. Maybe most on the forum don't. But the majority of iPhone users out in the wild don't spend on wireless charging. Had I known Apple was gonna pull this stunt, I wouldn't have given one of mine away. I need one more for our needs. I guess I'll have to order one, adding more packaging and production for the environment.

While I do see the point you are making in purchasing an extra charger and the environmental impact it might have due to added packaging, I do believe you are mistaken in the assumption that it might offset the environmental push apple seems to be shoving down everyone’s throats, due to scale.

The reality is that apple sells close to 200 million iPhones a year and the majority of consumers do not use the headphones or the charging brick provided, or in your case giving the charging brick away.

Having said that I do believe that apple should provide some further concessions to first time iPhone buyers or consumers that actually require a brick, which represented about 15-20 million consumers in 2019 alone.

Personally I agree with your comment on apple being disingenuous. I believe if apple were really worried about the environment, they would sell a single charging brick with 3 or 4 ports to help mitigate environmental concerns.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I just can’t believe they had the gall to provide a usb-c to lightning when they know a majority of iPhone users most likely don’t have a usb-c power adapter.

The lack of these two things won’t hurt me in the slightest but it just rubs me the wrong way. I felt the same with the removal of the headphone jack. Even though I hadn’t been using it for a while I just didn’t care for it not being included.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I find it rather odd, the Homepod mini comes with the new 20 watt power adapter, but not the new iPhones. The majority of Homepod mini buyers will be iPhone users, whom they say have loads of charge adapters laying around. So, if you want or need the 20 watt adapter, you must either buy one for $19.99 (a $10 discount), or buy the Homepod mini for $99.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I find it rather odd, the Homepod mini comes with the new 20 watt power adapter, but not the new iPhones. The majority of Homepod mini buyers will be iPhone users, whom they say have loads of charge adapters laying around. So, if you want or need the 20 watt adapter, you must either buy one for $19.99 (a $10 discount), or buy the Homepod mini for $99.

What’s odd about it?
Most iPhone, or even better yet, phone chargers are 5 watt.
HomePod requires a 20W charger as you said.
Therefore it’s not illogical to ship 20W chargers with an HomePod.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
What’s odd about it?
Most iPhone, or even better yet, phone chargers are 5 watt.
HomePod requires a 20W charger as you said.
Therefore it’s not illogical to ship 20W chargers with an HomePod.

My Wife's iPhone 8 came with a 10 watt charge adapter. Fast charging is the new way to go now. Many don't have but the 5 watt slow charge adapter. And, according to Apple, every single iPhone user has a stockpile of them. I've been using an iPhone since 2012, but have only gotten 3 adapters. One got lost at the hospital. I gave one away, because I thought I'd get another when I upgraded. So, I have one to use for both my iPhone and my headphones. So, I stole my Wife's 10 watt. She has no clue.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Are you sure it didn't come with a 5 watt adapter? I don't ever remember any phone other than the 11 Pro series coming with an adapter higher than 5 watts.

It's the larger 10 watt. No clue why.
fc72be0aeb97f581a6e62a448473b363.jpg

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
That’s odd.
That’s an iPad charger.
She may have purchased that separately. Or your son did.
It’s not part of the package though.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro