Several stories in the last month have revealed that governments have gained nothing by moving away from Apple and Google's contact tracing API.

Full story from the iMore Blog...
    05-16-2020 08:40 AM
    How would my iPhone know whether or not “I” have the coronavirus?
    05-16-2020 09:58 AM
    How would my iPhone know whether or not “I” have the coronavirus?
    Good question!
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    05-16-2020 10:07 AM
    Good question!
    If the following statement is true,

“if you or someone you've been in contact with contracts COVID-19, you, or they, can be alerted to this potential exposure,...”

then one would assume their iPhone can detect the presence of the virus, and if so, I need to know “specifically” how. I mean, if my iPhone as-is can detect its presence then we the people are not being told the full story about the coronavirus.
    Annie_M likes this.
    05-16-2020 10:58 AM
    If the following statement is true,

“if you or someone you've been in contact with contracts COVID-19, you, or they, can be alerted to this potential exposure,...”

then one would assume their iPhone can detect the presence of the virus, and if so, I need to know “specifically” how. I mean, if my iPhone as-is can detect its presence then we the people are not being told the full story about the coronavirus.
    As soon as someone gets tested, if positive for covid 19, then the phone will alert anyone that has been in bluetooth proximity to the person infected.

The phone won’t be able to detect the virus, only warn others if they have been in proximity to someone that was confirmed as infected.
    05-16-2020 11:35 AM
    As soon as someone gets tested, if positive for covid 19, then the phone will alert anyone that has been in bluetooth proximity to the person infected.

The phone won’t be able to detect the virus, only warn others if they have been in proximity to someone that was confirmed as infected.
    There has to be more to it than that. So, if I somehow got infected and was confirmed, I assume my contact information would go into a database of some sort and somehow that information would then be tied to my mobile phone number. I mean, how else would a smartphone be able to “warn others” that I have or have had the virus?
    Tartarus likes this.
    05-16-2020 12:26 PM
    In addition, if there is a database of some sort keeping track of “confirmed cases” of the coronavirus, who all has access to it? Since smartphones would be allowed to warn other of being in proximity of confirmed individuals, will that information be used against the individuals.

For example, what if I’m shopping in a grocery store in aisle 19 and all of a sudden, my iPhone alerts me that I’m in close proximity of someone who has or have had the coronavirus. I look up, see the person and quickly leave the aisle and possibly the store. The next day, I’m conducting interviews at work and I get another coronavirus proximity alert as the person I’m interviewing walks into my office.

I look up and notice it’s the same person from the grocery store. How likely am I to hire that person? If it were you, what would you do?
    05-16-2020 12:33 PM
    There has to be more to it than that. So, if I somehow got infected and was confirmed, I assume my contact information would go into a database of some sort and somehow that information would then be tied to my mobile phone number. I mean, how else would a smartphone be able to “warn others” that I have or have had the virus?
    With Apple/google solution, the decentralized database is kept anonymized on your phone for 2 weeks. If confirmed positive with a doctor you will input some sort of code or pin to your phone that would list you as positive and then your phone will notify everyone that has been in proximity of your phone. I believe the parameters are not only for proximity but also duration of proximity. 1 or 2 minutes of sustained proximity if I’m not mistaken

This is all done through a new api being introduced in 13.5 for iOS. No idea what timeline google has for their api.

With the governments solution, it is stored on a centralized database, that may or may not include additional data points like phone number and location and is stored for more than two weeks. But it doesn’t work very well on iOS due to the fact that you and the other person will have to havethe phone on, unlocked and the govts app open on the device for their version to log other users in your proximity. The alerts are then sent from the centralized database.

Clearly that’s not going to work.
    05-16-2020 01:33 PM
    In addition, if there is a database of some sort keeping track of “confirmed cases” of the coronavirus, who all has access to it? Since smartphones would be allowed to warn other of being in proximity of confirmed individuals, will that information be used against the individuals.

For example, what if I’m shopping in a grocery store in aisle 19 and all of a sudden, my iPhone alerts me that I’m in close proximity of someone who has or have had the coronavirus. I look up, see the person and quickly leave the aisle and possibly the store. The next day, I’m conducting interviews at work and I get another coronavirus proximity alert as the person I’m interviewing walks into my office.

I look up and notice it’s the same person from the grocery store. How likely am I to hire that person? If it were you, what would you do?
    If they are covid 19 positive they shouldn’t be out and about to begin with.
    05-16-2020 01:34 PM
    If they are covid 19 positive they shouldn’t be out and about to begin with.
    You and I both know people will do what they have to in order to keep a roof over their heads and food on the table, especially when kids are in the equation. People come to work sick all the time for the exact same reasons.
    05-16-2020 01:55 PM
    You and I both know people will do what they have to in order to keep a roof over their heads and food on the table, especially when kids are in the equation. People come to work sick all the time for the exact same reasons.
    Personally I try not to judge others. Covid 19 isn’t Ebola, but it isn’t a joke either.

Decisions always come with consequences.
    05-16-2020 02:18 PM
    Personally I try not to judge others. Covid 19 isn’t Ebola, but it isn’t a joke either.

Decisions always come with consequences.
    No doubt...
    05-16-2020 02:23 PM
    Which is exactly why this is valuable, to protect others.
    This isn’t a conspiracy theory or government tracking device, it’s a way to save lives.
    05-16-2020 03:18 PM
    Which is exactly why this is valuable, to protect others.
    This isn’t a conspiracy theory or government tracking device, it’s a way to save lives.
    I don’t think there is a government conspiracy going on here at all. With that being said, this pandemic has gone worldwide in a very short period of time and the death percentage in comparison to those still breathing is extremely low. No one can say the virus hasn’t been lethal because it has, however, that doesn’t mean it is or will be lethal to the majority.

It’s easy to say those affected should stay at home when you’re not the one affected. People will quickly say, “everyone should be considerate of others during these uncertain times” while at the same time buying up all of the bleach, toilet paper, peroxide, disinfectant sprays and wipes without ever considering that someone else need those same items. So much for being considerate, huh?
    05-16-2020 03:36 PM
    I don’t think there is a government conspiracy going on here at all. With that being said, this pandemic has gone worldwide in a very short period of time and the death percentage in comparison to those still breathing is extremely low. No one can say the virus hasn’t been lethal because it has, however, that doesn’t mean it is or will be lethal to the majority.

It’s easy to say those affected should stay at home when you’re not the one affected. People will quickly say, “everyone should be considerate of others during these uncertain times” while at the same time buying up all of the bleach, toilet paper, peroxide, disinfectant sprays and wipes without ever considering that someone else need those same items. So much for being considerate, huh?
    People will be people. Many are not considerate and others think this is a joke. Believe me when I say, from working on the front lines, this is no joke.

I do believe we need to find a way to get back to some normalcy. This isn’t going away and this winter may be worse. Wearing masks, social distancing and finding ways to warn us when we may be around an infected person (not someone who had it in the past but who could currently infect us) will help us do just that. Being infected means a 14 day quarantine, that’s it. It’s not a lifetime sentence.
    Just_Me_D and pr1nce like this.
    05-16-2020 03:46 PM
    Why do governments insist on ignoring Apple and Google's tracing tech?
    Who cares?
    05-16-2020 05:44 PM
    Apart from conspiracy theory, with this covid situation, socialmedia company alike all has a very nice and worldwide “playground” so not necessary has to be government.
    05-17-2020 03:39 PM
    Consulted my favourite professional computer/systems geek about these apps, was told not to touch them with a bargepole, will comply !!
    scruffypig likes this.
    05-19-2020 05:56 AM