Apple's acquisition of Dark Sky is good and bad — here's why

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
When I saw the pop up in the app, I was shocked and excited. Dark Sky is one of my fave apps! I’m looking forward to whatever Apple has in store.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I suppose it’s all grist to Apple’s mill, it does not excite me because Dark Sky’s short range precipitation forecasting does not work very well. I suppose I should add that I’m in the UK and it may work better elsewhere.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I guess it’s easier to buy something and add it to an ecosystem than it is to develop it from scratch.

Just leave Carrot Weather alone.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I always hear mixed reviews about Dark Sky’s accuracy, but I guess it all depends on location. Luckily for me, it works extremely well. I use it along with other apps & the notifications I get from each pretty much say the same thing across the board. Hopefully that will continue.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I always hear mixed reviews about Dark Sky’s accuracy, but I guess it all depends on location. Luckily for me, it works extremely well. I use it along with other apps & the notifications I get from each pretty much say the same thing across the board. Hopefully that will continue.

I don’t care for the design of Dark Sky, but its accuracy is always on-point, in my experience.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I like how people are making mock designs of changes that Apple won't make. Dark Sky loses a huge part of its (potential) user base to be locked into a weather app so many actively avoid and replace. I fail to see how this is an improvement to anything other than the pockets of Dark Sky.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I like how people are making mock designs of changes that Apple won't make. Dark Sky loses a huge part of its (potential) user base to be locked into a weather app so many actively avoid and replace. I fail to see how this is an improvement to anything other than the pockets of Dark Sky.

I couldn’t agree more.
Thanks for posting this.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I think this is great news.

Never really opened the app, not a fan of its ux/ui.

But it’s precipitation Alerts were eerily accurate down to the minute here in London.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2