AirPods Pro deal at Amazon: Save $52 for a limited time!

The European Parliament has voted resoundingly to urge the law-making body to create regulations that would force phone makers to adopt a single charging standard. All major Android manufacturers use the common USB standard, so this move primarily targets Apple.

Full story from the iMore Blog...
    01-31-2020 03:30 AM
    I think it’s only wall chargers that have to change.
    02-05-2020 06:17 AM
    To be honest, I’m almost in favour of this. USB-C is superior to Lightning. Fact. It transfers data and charges faster than the Lightning. The EU does have a point when it comes to electronic waste, but the electronic waste generated by the obsolescence of all these Lightning cables would be a concern. Apple already uses USB-C with its iPad and MacBook Pros anyway. Plus, having a single cable for all mobile devices would be a great plus for consumers.
    02-20-2020 05:52 AM
    To be honest, I’m almost in favour of this. USB-C is superior to Lightning. Fact. It transfers data and charges faster than the Lightning. The EU does have a point when it comes to electronic waste, but the electronic waste generated by the obsolescence of all these Lightning cables would be a concern. Apple already uses USB-C with its iPad and MacBook Pros anyway. Plus, having a single cable for all mobile devices would be a great plus for consumers.
    USB C is a connection type. It won’t necessarily transfer data or charge any faster. Depending on the cable and device, some only support USB 2.0 speeds.
    Last edited by scruffypig; 02-20-2020 at 10:31 AM.
    02-20-2020 10:07 AM
    USB C is a connection type. It won’t necessarily transfer data or charge any faster. Depending on the cable and device, some only support USB 2.0 speeds.
    Yes, but it is capable (already on many cables and devices) of being better than Lightning. So for example USB-C supports USB 3.0, while Lightning maxes out at 2.0. I do think that in order for the benefits of USB-C to be felt across the consumer base that they should all be to that standard, which is already widespread and common, but that’s a different story. Same thing goes for charging speeds...Lightning has only been proven to go up to 18W (and even then with one end being USB-C), while USB-C can go all the way to 100w, which may be a reason why Apple decided to use it for its MacBooks.

More info here: https://www.tronsmart.com/blog/47_5-...lightning.html
    02-20-2020 11:04 AM
    Yes, but it is capable (already on many cables and devices) of being better than Lightning. So for example USB-C supports USB 3.0, while Lightning maxes out at 2.0. I do think that in order for the benefits of USB-C to be felt across the consumer base that they should all be to that standard, which is already widespread and common, but that’s a different story. Same thing goes for charging speeds...Lightning has only been proven to go up to 18W (and even then with one end being USB-C), while USB-C can go all the way to 100w, which may be a reason why Apple decided to use it for its MacBooks.

More info here: https://www.tronsmart.com/blog/47_5-...lightning.html
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB-C
    02-20-2020 01:09 PM
    As I have said,I do not think that there is any EU pressure to change the cable to phone connection,only the charger to cable,which may be only a step on the way,but is not in view yet.
    02-20-2020 02:46 PM
    My iPhone 11Pro came with a Lightning to USB C cable and USB C charger. I am all set.
    02-21-2020 08:45 PM