Is 64GB in an iPhone enough? I think so, and I'll tell you why

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
True but dropping smartphone sales are happening slowly across the board, not just at Apple. In fact, year-over-year iPhone shipments slipped only by a small margin, much of that due to an uptick in Samsung sales. If Apple wants to appeal to the discount market they need to offer the right products at the right price points. That’s up to them if they feel it adds value to their business. They have never been keen on low prices but with revenues shifting to services they need devices in as many hands as possible, even if that means offering cheap alternatives to thousand dollar iPhones.
So, to respond to your comment, perhaps some people are smartening up, but it’s also possible that people just aren’t upgrading as frequently as they used to. I honestly think it’s a little of both.

I agree that it’s both. As you stated with revenues now more about services, it’s how many devices you sell more that hardware profits. If wireless (5g and beyond) continues to advance, you will no longer need an expensive smartphone because the power will come from online services. It will be interesting to see how they react.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Do you really think iPhones are worth over $1000? Serious question. I’m speaking value.

That’s a really good question. The short answer is NO, I don’t think they are. My iPhone is my lifeline and I can’t imagine not having it. But that said, it doesn’t do a whole lot that a $400 Android can’t do. So comparatively speaking a $1,000 iPhone isn’t worth what we pay for it.
It does make me think about all of the equipment and resources that would have been required 15 years ago in order to accomplish what today’s smartphones can do with ease. I’m sure $1,000 would have been a drop in a bucket back then.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
That’s a really good question. The short answer is NO, I don’t think they are. My iPhone is my lifeline and I can’t imagine not having it. But that said, it doesn’t do a whole lot that a $400 Android can’t do. So comparatively speaking a $1,000 iPhone isn’t worth what we pay for it.

That’s the way I think. It’s not about whether I can afford the most expensive iPhone because I can, I just won’t pay for it because it’s value does not meet my measure. Also, I’m getting tired of lack of choice. If I’m paying top dollar, don’t limit my choices. (No headphone jack, no removable storage, etc.)
I’ve been an Apple fan for a long time, I still have the original iPhone. I just see them deliberately leaving customers behind. Again, we’ll see if they come out with the rumored 9 at $399.

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Mar 20, 2017
Visit site
I guess what I was saying was y’all complaining about the prices does nothing to drop said prices. If you seriously want to impact, you have to refuse to participate. Not being a smart arse here, but if you’re not part of the solution, you’re part of the problem.

I agree with all of you on pricing in general. But a tactic, is to BOGO for instance and then don’t upgrade for couple of years. Become part of what causes the data trend in slowing and declining sales and margins.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
It’s this type of thinking that has people leaving iPhone. The exact reason why they need to come out with the SE2/9. It has nothing to do with rights, it has to do with sales which are dropping.
People are smartening up.

That’s actually not true.
There are more active iPhone users today then there were a year ago.

Sales are actually great according to apples financials, much better than everyone else.

Do you really think iPhones are worth over $1000? Serious question. I’m speaking value.

Yes they are worth over a $1000, perhaps not to you but the market has spoken on the matter.

For reference, The Moto RAZR was over 1000 dollars when it first launched and was a huge success, it’s funny because no one brought up value at the time, every one just wanted one.

It does make me think about all of the equipment and resources that would have been required 15 years ago in order to accomplish what today’s smartphones can do with ease. I’m sure $1,000 would have been a drop in a bucket back then.

iPhones also last much longer than android, not to mention 5-6 years softwares updates.

Stainless steel construction; nvm storage, best speakers, best battery life, best and only mobile display that is capable of Dolby vision, best soc, unmatched, 8core npu, Uwb support.... and that’s comparing the iPhone pro to other android flagships not android budget phones.

Have a look at a company called vertu, 1000 dollar phone from them would have been a bargain.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Stainless steel construction; nvm storage, best speakers, best battery life, best and only mobile display that is capable of Dolby vision, best soc, unmatched, 8core npu, Uwb support.... and that’s comparing the iPhone pro to other android flagships not android budget phones.

I get all that. Still, it doesn’t DO much more than a much cheaper phone. I upgrade annually and love my 11 Pro Max but it’s still a rectangle with a screen. Prettier and better sounding only add so much value.
More users does not equate to sales growth, by the way. It just means that they gained more customers than they lost.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I get all that. Still, it doesn’t DO much than a much cheaper phone does. I upgrade annually and love my 11 Pro Max but it’s still a rectangle with a screen. Prettier and better sounding only add so much value.
More users does not equate to sales growth, by the way. It just means that they gained more customers than they lost.

Premiums components are just that, premium. Cheaper components do exist, that’s why consumers can purchase what they can afford. Sure it is a rectangle with a screen, but a better built rectangle Made of steel instead of aluminum or plastic with the best screen on the market and the only mobile currently capable of Dolby vision. Forget cheaper phones, no android flagship is capable of Dolby vision, or 4k60 from every single camera including the front facing one.

You should define value. Because after 1 year there is more value in a used iPhone flagship then that budget android, flagship android lose most of their value after 6 months. Not much value left there.

Actually if you look up vertu, better build quality fetched a better premium than you would expect.

The other poster said users were leaving the iPhone which is not accurate and I believe you agree with the “more users” comment. Those users have also added to the larger services revenue growth.

I said Apples iPhone sales look great according to Apple financials and compared to the competition.

iPhone sales had growth in 2018. We will know about 2019 shortly.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
It proves marketing works though.

Premium components and longer software updates are not classified as marketing. Perhaps they should be

If marketing works, Why are Samsung’s mobiles profits crashing?
They spend the most on marketing, perhaps if they spent it on more premium components for their premium phones, they would would sold better.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Premiums components are just that, premium. Cheaper components do exist, that’s why consumers can purchase what they can afford. Sure it is a rectangle with a screen, but a better built rectangle Made of steel instead of aluminum or plastic with the best screen on the market and the only mobile currently capable of Dolby vision. Forget cheaper phones, no android flagship is capable of Dolby vision, or 4k60 from every single camera including the front facing one.

You should define value. Because after 1 year there is more value in a used iPhone flagship then that budget android, flagship android lose most of their value after 6 months. Not much value left there.

Actually if you look up vertu, better build quality fetched a better premium than you would expect.

The other poster said users were leaving the iPhone which is not accurate and I believe you agree with the “more users” comment. Those users have also added to the larger services revenue growth.

I said Apples iPhone sales look great according to Apple financials and compared to the competition.

iPhone sales had growth in 2018. We will know about 2019 shortly.

No need to define value because it’s based off of individual perception. What’s valuable to me may not be for you. I was asked if flagship iPhones are worth $1,000. I said they aren’t and that opinion isn’t going to change. Yes, the bells and whistles of the high end phones are very nice but they all run apps. They all message. They all let me check my email and visit web sites and play music. At the base, they all do the basically same things.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Premium components and longer software updates are not classified as marketing. Perhaps they should be

If marketing works, Why are Samsung’s mobiles profits crashing?
They spend the most on marketing, perhaps if they spent it on more premium components for their premium phones, they would would sold better.

Samsung gained market share over the last year. Apple didn’t.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
No need to define value because it’s based off of individual perception. What’s valuable to me may not be for you. I was asked if flagship iPhones are worth $1,000. I said they aren’t and that opinion isn’t going to change. Yes, the bells and whistles of the high end phones are very nice but they all run apps. They all message. They all let me check my email and visit web sites and play music. At the base, they all do the basically same things.

Ok your talking about personal value, I was talking about the intrinsic value.

Personal value is pretty meaningless when it comes time to sell a smartphone, note 10 owners know what I’m talking about.

Regarding intrinsic value, even if you don’t believe the iPhone is worth 1000, if you decide to sell yours today you will get most if not all of that back. You won’t with an android flagship, even though it can do the some of the same things, albeit with cheaper components and aluminum or plastic instead of steel.

A Honda and a Ferrari are both cars that do basically the same thing, one much faster than the other. And one sells for substantially more than the other. High end components play a large part in that too.

Ps: completely forgot about Face ID .

Samsung gained market share over the last year. Apple didn’t.

Samsung’s profits have tanked over the last year, falling over 60%. Apples profit hasn’t.

In the premium segment Samsung lost market share this year, Apple increased. Premium is defined as 400 dollars and above.

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Mar 20, 2017
Visit site
Ok your talking about personal value, I was talking about the intrinsic value.

Personal value is pretty meaningless when it comes time to sell a smartphone, note 10 owners know what I’m talking about.

Regarding intrinsic value, even if you don’t believe the iPhone is worth 1000, if you decide to sell yours today you will get most if not all of that back. You won’t with an android flagship, even though it can do the some of the same things, albeit with cheaper components and aluminum or plastic instead of steel.

A Honda and a Ferrari are both cars that do basically the same thing, one much faster than the other. And one sells for substantially more than the other. High end components play a large part in that too.

Ps: completely forgot about Face ID .

Samsung’s profits have tanked over the last year, falling over 60%. Apples profit hasn’t.

In the premium segment Samsung lost market share this year, Apple increased. Premium is defined as 400 dollars and above.

Apple’s profits are from multiple sources not just phones same as when you compare with primarily Android proprietary and licensed OEMs profits. I’m also not sure where you’re getting a $400 figure as premium space as I’d argue that bar has been raised industrywide to somewhere in the $600-700 range.

The Apple brand is considered premium and the reason for higher prices is the overall business model since they’re able to control their business model since it’s almost entirely closed or locked down. The components and specs are really behind much of Android development wise but much of that is wasted in the Android business model since device hardware and software isn’t nearly as optimized.

Literally, a 3/64 iOS device will outperform a similar 4/64 Android device because of this optimization. The exception with this are the Google proprietary Android devices that are getting better with each generation.

The premium segment for all OEMs including Apple is slowing down. That’s why Apple is offering phones like the XR, the 11 and the upcoming SE2 or 9 whatever it will be called. The intrinsic value of Apple hardware is based on the longevity Apple creates with it’s replacement cycle for updates and measured addition of features slowing down sales turnover.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Apple’s profits are from multiple sources not just phones same as when you compare with primarily Android proprietary and licensed OEMs profits.

You are incorrect, I was only referring to iPhone profits.

iPhone profits currently dwarfs all other android oema, Samsung Mobiles profits as I mentioned has tanked this year due to poor sales of their premium smartphone line, which have had a negative cascading effect on Samsung semiconductor and Samsung display which are responsible for the supplying components.

Look at their financials, It’s not even close.

Samsung q1 2019-q3 2019
Here are some for Samsung tanking this year.

7c7a4ed44fc48f3eebc20acfad6b0f14.jpg

16576e24cd52f4af2609d6dacd3d3d0f.png
c46abd5e3c277155dbef6755a6c8887c.png
5680435c6c6bb88dc15df136cca53ee2.plist

I even included Samsung admitting that no one is buying their premium products.

645f6f1bd0305ec142f1dc48b088b2d4.plist

. I’m also not sure where you’re getting a $400 figure as premium space as I’d argue that bar has been raised industrywide to somewhere in the $600-700 range.

It’s the industry standard, smartphones priced over $400 and and higher are considered to be in the premium smartphone segment.

Here is last years break down of the premium segment.
46e16f8dd7c26dbc8d11b2bff8d10338.jpg

And here is last quarter.
42d1b8a247a6a38d0c725d0dfcfa8e9a.jpg

The Apple brand is considered premium and the reason for higher prices is the overall business model since they’re able to control their business model since it’s almost entirely closed or locked down.

Actually the reason for higher prices are higher priced components. Even though the iPhone 11 Pro cost much more than an iPhone 8 at launch, both have profit margins in the 30% range. Again you can find that in the financials.

The iPhone is called premium because the cheapest phone Apple sell is over $400 which would put apples entire iPhone range in the premium smartphone segment.

The components and specs are really behind much of Android development wise but much of that is wasted in the Android business model since device hardware and software isn’t nearly as optimized.

That’s actually not true either. Don’t know why android users prefer to parrot it about.

Android hardware is inferior compared to the iPhone, has been for quite some time.

-Apple cpu with their ridiculous 8 core npu is considered industry leading and is at least two years ahead of what Qualcomm is putting out. Samsung recently terminated their custom mongoose cpu cores, they just can’t compete.

603b3afb0e80de26ebfec632816e29f3.png
1f39f7a2eba6a6f9f1fb480b80852c66.plist

-Apple is also the only smartphone manufacturer that is using nvme based storage on a phone, everyone else uses the inferior Ufs standard, because it’s cheaper. Excited to see the performance gains with new pcie 4.0 based nvme storage for the next iPhone

-The display used on the new iPhone has double the avg peak brightness compared to any other android flagship, you can really see the difference in side by side comparisons on you tube. And is the only smartphone capable of Dolby vision. 800 nits available to the iPhone compared to only 400 for android flagships. It is a substantial difference in day to day use.
091e1b570d12831ed28ceb38bfdcea11.png
744f2f8dc57b51035ac9ce5681c626a5.png

-the iPhone pro is the only smartphone with all 4 cameras capable of 4k60 and are color calibrated to match.

-Apple has been shipping a 3D facial recognition biometric solution on their iPhones for a while now, the competition still hasn’t caught up.

-the only smartphone currently with an ultra wide band chip

-the only smartphone with a polished Stainless Steel chassis. Samsung actually claimed the note 10 had a stainless steel frame, it’s aluminum.

- outstanding battery life, the iPhone pro beats the note 10+ by about 2 hours, while the iPhone pro max surpasses it by a 4 hours.
736eec51bf926ffec52170cc749a49b0.jpg

So to recap, the processor, gpu, npu, display, speakers, battery, 3D facial recognition, stainless steel frame, and cameras are all superior components and outperform the competition yet you claim Apple is behind android in hardware development. because of extra ram .

I’m not even going to bring up the Apple Watch or the AirPods.

I would advise you do a bit of research, seems your relying on outdated or inaccurate information. Good luck.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh