Is 64GB in an iPhone enough? I think so, and I'll tell you why

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Oh I’m with you there. The flagship pro device should automatically come with the most available storage space, in my opinion.

Agree.
If you’re going to charge a premium price provide premium specs. The people who are going to buy these are most likely the ones who want more storage.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Agree.
If you’re going to charge a premium price provide premium specs. The people who are going to buy these are most likely the ones who want more storage.

Even if they don’t need the storage, they deserve it after paying the premium price.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Oh I’m with you there. The flagship pro device should automatically come with the most available storage space, in my opinion.

512 gb? I'd have to just not get one if it were that much. Not paying $1,449 or adding $54 a month to my phone bill. It's high enough as is. The option is there for those who want 512. No need to force it on everyone who wants a Max size iPhone.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
512 gb? I'd have to just not get one if it were that much. Not paying $1,449 or adding $54 a month to my phone bill. It's high enough as is. The option is there for those who want 512. No need to force it on everyone who wants a Max size iPhone.

Don’t misunderstand me. I’m not saying that Apple should “force” everyone who wants the flagship device to pay $1, 449.00. What I am saying is this: if you’re going to offer a non-Pro model, a Pro model, and a Pro Max model then the Pro “Max” model should automatically come with the “Max” storage capacity and price for it should be what the current base price is for it now.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Don’t misunderstand me. I’m not saying that Apple should “force” everyone who wants the flagship device to pay $1, 449.00. What I am saying is this: if you’re going to offer a non-Pro model, a Pro model, and a Pro Max model then the Pro “Max” model should automatically come with the “Max” storage capacity and price for it should be what the current base price is for it now.

Agree if the price is $1,099 for 512 gb, or even 256. That won't happen though.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
The big question is should it be enough??

Bigger camera

Data rich apps

Bigger OS updates

Only 5 GBs of free cloud space

Premium prices

I use to be tired of managing my data and don’t believe I have to live in a trailer sized mansion

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
For some people it is and for some people it isn’t. I’m definitely one of the people who could get by with it.

Agreed! I’m using a 64GB 11 Pro right now (and before that a 64GB iPhone XR) with 0 problems. But, like just about everything in life, YMMV.

zachavm

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
IMHO, it all comes down to the content you keep on your device.

Do you have lots of media or large games? You likely need more storage. If not, 64GB is likely enough.

For me, I don't keep any music on my device. I listen to audiobooks, but that is mostly just one at a time and relatively small (less than 1GB). I take a lot of pictures, but I back those up to Google Photos and delete them. As for apps, it has never been enough to push me on space.

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Mar 20, 2017
Visit site

So y’all just complaining about the price in general?!?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
So y’all just complaining about the price in general?!?

Of course. The price is flat out ridiculous and I cringe just thinking about how much of that simply goes in Apple’s pocket.
That being said, I can’t wait to throw $1,300+ on next year’s Pro Max replacement.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
They are ridiculously priced however not everyone has this kind of Deep pockets to throw at a device .

Then they shouldn’t buy one. An iPhone isn’t a human right. If one can not afford to pay the price they should probably seek a cheaper option that they can afford.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Then they shouldn’t buy one. An iPhone isn’t a human right. If one can not afford to pay the price they should probably seek a cheaper option that they can afford.

It’s this type of thinking that has people leaving iPhone. The exact reason why they need to come out with the SE2/9. It has nothing to do with rights, it has to do with sales which are dropping. People are smartening up.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
It’s this type of thinking that has people leaving iPhone. The exact reason why they need to come out with the SE2/9. It has nothing to do with rights, it has to do with sales which are dropping. People are smartening up.

True but dropping smartphone sales are happening slowly across the board, not just at Apple. In fact, year-over-year iPhone shipments slipped only by a small margin, much of that due to an uptick in Samsung sales. If Apple wants to appeal to the discount market they need to offer the right products at the right price points. That’s up to them if they feel it adds value to their business. They have never been keen on low prices but with revenues shifting to services they need devices in as many hands as possible, even if that means offering cheap alternatives to thousand dollar iPhones.
So, to respond to your comment, perhaps some people are smartening up, but it’s also possible that people just aren’t upgrading as frequently as they used to. I honestly think it’s a little of both.