Is 64GB in an iPhone enough? I think so, and I'll tell you why

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
This is like saying that the color blue is better than the color red. 64 GB hasn’t been enough memory for me in a long time. This is my favorite part of the article:
Maybe the only people who complain about 64GB starting points from Apple and Google are those who tend to complain at anything and everything. And, of course, those who think specs are more important than user experience. "Moar storage, more processors, moar everything" I hear them cry. But who really needs more than 64GB of storage in an iPhone?
Maybe LOTS of users need more than 64 GB of storage and are tired of paying a premium to get it. Maybe cries for more power and higher stats are cries to make the next flagship model worth spending money on and a need for more processing power as smartphones are becoming gaming devices and AR/VR machines more than ever. Using his own personal use case, the author decides to reduce those with differing opinions to crybabies. The author does circle back later on and state that there are edge cases where 64 GB might not be enough but not until he took multiple cheap shots. All credibility had already been lost.
Typical hack opinion piece from a guy who shouldn’t be allowed to write opinion pieces. He should stick to the latest deals on Nintendo Switch and robot vacuums.

Last edited:

love4speechless

Sep 25, 2018
Visit site
This is like saying that the color blue is better than the color red. 64 GB hasn’t been enough memory for me in a long time. This is my favorite part of the article:
Maybe the only people who complain about 64GB starting points from Apple and Google are those who tend to complain at anything and everything. And, of course, those who think specs are more important than user experience. "Moar storage, more processors, moar everything" I hear them cry. But who really needs more than 64GB of storage in an iPhone?
Maybe LOTS of users need more than 64 GB of storage and are tired of paying a premium to get it. Maybe cries for more power and higher stats are cries to make the next flagship model worth spending money on and a need for more processing power as smartphones are becoming gaming devices and AR/VR machines more than ever. Using his own personal use case, the author decides to reduce those with differing opinions to crybabies. The author does circle back later on and state that there are edge cases where 64 GB might not be enough but not until he took multiple cheap shots. All credibility had already been lost.
Typical hack opinion piece from a guy who shouldn’t be allowed to write opinion pieces. He should stick to the latest deals on Nintendo Switch and robot vacuums.

I’ve thought for a long time that there should be a 128gb option

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
For some people it is and for some people it isn’t. I’m definitely one of the people who could get by with it.

100%. My wife has a 64 GB XR that suits her just fine. My kids both use 32 GB iPads. I can’t see you coming down on people who think that 64 GB isn’t enough because it is for you. You have common sense though, which the guy who wrote this article clearly doesn’t have.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I've had my 6s Plus for 13 months (it's my 2nd 6s Plus), and I get by great with 64 gb. But I don't keep a lot of photos on the roll, no downloaded movies, and only 4 or 5 songs downloaded local. I have 231 apps.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I've survived quite nicely with 64 GB. I cannot say the same for my 32 GB iPad. Would I like more storage? Probably, if it's within my budget! :D

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
And, of course, those who think specs are more important than user experience. "Moar storage, more processors, moar everything" I hear them cry. But who really needs more than 64GB of storage in an iPhone?

What is "moar storage" and "moar everything"?

wilber1

Trusted Member
May 13, 2013
Visit site
64 GB has always been enough for me on iPhone ,I try to keep memory clean and no movies and only a few songs and use dropbox for pictures .

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
64 GB is more than enough for me, but I do not play games,download films or keep more than a few photographs, Oh, and no bloody podcasts ! My storage shows under 17 GB.

fredriks

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Have no problem with 64 gb. If I take photos I sync them to a cloud service and not on my phone. I don't have a ton of apps and music on my phone. I don't think it's worth the extra money for more storage memory. Not for me anyway but I also accept that some people need more memory than 64 gb.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
What is "moar storage" and "moar everything"?

a464a530269b2c908320c4becf3773d8.png

He's a slang kinda guy!
Only on iMoar!

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Mar 20, 2017
Visit site

I’m with you except for the premium cost. Moar does cost moar or everyone would just demand the moar option regardless and people wouldn’t have a lower cost option.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I’m with you except for the premium cost. Moar does cost moar or everyone would just demand the moar option regardless and people wouldn’t have a lower cost option.

Sure. I have a 256 GB iPhone that I paid a premium for without complaining. The question I would ask is if 64 GB should still be the baseline for a thousand dollar iPhone. My opinion is that it shouldn’t be, at least not for the Pro models.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Trusted Member
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Articles like this don't really make sense. I could see if it was set up to have everyone reevaluate how much storage they have. Forcing everyone on one tier would be like saying any personal computer (Mac or Windows) needs at least 25 TB, nothing less.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site

Crybaby.

JK

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Heck, I still have a 32gb SE that I take to work with me because I don’t want to carry around a brick all day.
All my main apps, music (plenty but not all), iCloud for pics and files. I get by just fine.
I do have a 128gb Xr that I got used for a great deal that I use on the weekends. It’s loaded with everything I need and haven’t even hit 64gb.
I believe having 64gb for the base model is fine (waiting for the iPhone SE2/9).

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Sure. I have a 256 GB iPhone that I paid a premium for without complaining. The question I would ask is if 64 GB should still be the baseline for a thousand dollar iPhone. My opinion is that it shouldn’t be, at least not for the Pro models.

Oh I’m with you there. The flagship pro device should automatically come with the most available storage space, in my opinion.