I guess what I was saying was y’all complaining about the prices does nothing to drop said prices. If you seriously want to impact, you have to refuse to participate.
    Totally agree!
    12-11-2019 05:24 PM
    Stainless steel construction; nvm storage, best speakers, best battery life, best and only mobile display that is capable of Dolby vision, best soc, unmatched, 8core npu, Uwb support.... and that’s comparing the iPhone pro to other android flagships not android budget phones.
    I get all that. Still, it doesn’t DO much more than a much cheaper phone. I upgrade annually and love my 11 Pro Max but it’s still a rectangle with a screen. Prettier and better sounding only add so much value.
    More users does not equate to sales growth, by the way. It just means that they gained more customers than they lost.
    12-11-2019 05:40 PM
    I get all that. Still, it doesn’t DO much than a much cheaper phone does. I upgrade annually and love my 11 Pro Max but it’s still a rectangle with a screen. Prettier and better sounding only add so much value.
    More users does not equate to sales growth, by the way. It just means that they gained more customers than they lost.
    Premiums components are just that, premium. Cheaper components do exist, that’s why consumers can purchase what they can afford. Sure it is a rectangle with a screen, but a better built rectangle Made of steel instead of aluminum or plastic with the best screen on the market and the only mobile currently capable of Dolby vision. Forget cheaper phones, no android flagship is capable of Dolby vision, or 4k60 from every single camera including the front facing one.

You should define value. Because after 1 year there is more value in a used iPhone flagship then that budget android, flagship android lose most of their value after 6 months. Not much value left there.

Actually if you look up vertu, better build quality fetched a better premium than you would expect.

The other poster said users were leaving the iPhone which is not accurate and I believe you agree with the “more users” comment. Those users have also added to the larger services revenue growth.

I said Apples iPhone sales look great according to Apple financials and compared to the competition.

iPhone sales had growth in 2018. We will know about 2019 shortly.
    12-11-2019 06:04 PM
    I get all that. Still, it doesn’t DO much more than a much cheaper phone. I upgrade annually and love my 11 Pro Max but it’s still a rectangle with a screen. Prettier and better sounding only add so much.
    It proves marketing works though.
    Rob Phillips likes this.
    12-11-2019 06:16 PM
    It proves marketing works though.
    Premium components and longer software updates are not classified as marketing. Perhaps they should be

If marketing works, Why are Samsung’s mobiles profits crashing?
    They spend the most on marketing, perhaps if they spent it on more premium components for their premium phones, they would would sold better.
    12-11-2019 06:23 PM
    Premiums components are just that, premium. Cheaper components do exist, that’s why consumers can purchase what they can afford. Sure it is a rectangle with a screen, but a better built rectangle Made of steel instead of aluminum or plastic with the best screen on the market and the only mobile currently capable of Dolby vision. Forget cheaper phones, no android flagship is capable of Dolby vision, or 4k60 from every single camera including the front facing one.

You should define value. Because after 1 year there is more value in a used iPhone flagship then that budget android, flagship android lose most of their value after 6 months. Not much value left there.

Actually if you look up vertu, better build quality fetched a better premium than you would expect.

The other poster said users were leaving the iPhone which is not accurate and I believe you agree with the “more users” comment. Those users have also added to the larger services revenue growth.

I said Apples iPhone sales look great according to Apple financials and compared to the competition.

iPhone sales had growth in 2018. We will know about 2019 shortly.
    No need to define value because it’s based off of individual perception. What’s valuable to me may not be for you. I was asked if flagship iPhones are worth $1,000. I said they aren’t and that opinion isn’t going to change. Yes, the bells and whistles of the high end phones are very nice but they all run apps. They all message. They all let me check my email and visit web sites and play music. At the base, they all do the basically same things.
    12-11-2019 06:26 PM
    Premium components and longer software updates are not classified as marketing. Perhaps they should be

If marketing works, Why are Samsung’s mobiles profits crashing?
    They spend the most on marketing, perhaps if they spent it on more premium components for their premium phones, they would would sold better.
    Samsung gained market share over the last year. Apple didn’t.
    12-11-2019 06:27 PM
    No need to define value because it’s based off of individual perception. What’s valuable to me may not be for you. I was asked if flagship iPhones are worth $1,000. I said they aren’t and that opinion isn’t going to change. Yes, the bells and whistles of the high end phones are very nice but they all run apps. They all message. They all let me check my email and visit web sites and play music. At the base, they all do the basically same things.
    Ok your talking about personal value, I was talking about the intrinsic value.

Personal value is pretty meaningless when it comes time to sell a smartphone, note 10 owners know what I’m talking about.

Regarding intrinsic value, even if you don’t believe the iPhone is worth 1000, if you decide to sell yours today you will get most if not all of that back. You won’t with an android flagship, even though it can do the some of the same things, albeit with cheaper components and aluminum or plastic instead of steel.

A Honda and a Ferrari are both cars that do basically the same thing, one much faster than the other. And one sells for substantially more than the other. High end components play a large part in that too.

Ps: completely forgot about Face ID .

Samsung gained market share over the last year. Apple didn’t.
    Samsung’s profits have tanked over the last year, falling over 60%. Apples profit hasn’t.

In the premium segment Samsung lost market share this year, Apple increased. Premium is defined as 400 dollars and above.
    12-11-2019 09:17 PM
    Ok your talking about personal value, I was talking about the intrinsic value.

Personal value is pretty meaningless when it comes time to sell a smartphone, note 10 owners know what I’m talking about.

Regarding intrinsic value, even if you don’t believe the iPhone is worth 1000, if you decide to sell yours today you will get most if not all of that back. You won’t with an android flagship, even though it can do the some of the same things, albeit with cheaper components and aluminum or plastic instead of steel.

A Honda and a Ferrari are both cars that do basically the same thing, one much faster than the other. And one sells for substantially more than the other. High end components play a large part in that too.

Ps: completely forgot about Face ID .

Samsung’s profits have tanked over the last year, falling over 60%. Apples profit hasn’t.

In the premium segment Samsung lost market share this year, Apple increased. Premium is defined as 400 dollars and above.
    Apple’s profits are from multiple sources not just phones same as when you compare with primarily Android proprietary and licensed OEMs profits. I’m also not sure where you’re getting a $400 figure as premium space as I’d argue that bar has been raised industrywide to somewhere in the $600-700 range.

The Apple brand is considered premium and the reason for higher prices is the overall business model since they’re able to control their business model since it’s almost entirely closed or locked down. The components and specs are really behind much of Android development wise but much of that is wasted in the Android business model since device hardware and software isn’t nearly as optimized.

Literally, a 3/64 iOS device will outperform a similar 4/64 Android device because of this optimization. The exception with this are the Google proprietary Android devices that are getting better with each generation.

The premium segment for all OEMs including Apple is slowing down. That’s why Apple is offering phones like the XR, the 11 and the upcoming SE2 or 9 whatever it will be called. The intrinsic value of Apple hardware is based on the longevity Apple creates with it’s replacement cycle for updates and measured addition of features slowing down sales turnover.
    TgeekB likes this.
    12-12-2019 06:08 AM
    Apple’s profits are from multiple sources not just phones same as when you compare with primarily Android proprietary and licensed OEMs profits.
    You are incorrect, I was only referring to iPhone profits.

iPhone profits currently dwarfs all other android oema, Samsung Mobiles profits as I mentioned has tanked this year due to poor sales of their premium smartphone line, which have had a negative cascading effect on Samsung semiconductor and Samsung display which are responsible for the supplying components.

Look at their financials, It’s not even close.

Samsung q1 2019-q3 2019
    Here are some for Samsung tanking this year.

I even included Samsung admitting that no one is buying their premium products.

. I’m also not sure where you’re getting a $400 figure as premium space as I’d argue that bar has been raised industrywide to somewhere in the $600-700 range.
    It’s the industry standard, smartphones priced over $400 and and higher are considered to be in the premium smartphone segment.

Here is last years break down of the premium segment.

And here is last quarter.

The Apple brand is considered premium and the reason for higher prices is the overall business model since they’re able to control their business model since it’s almost entirely closed or locked down.
    Actually the reason for higher prices are higher priced components. Even though the iPhone 11 Pro cost much more than an iPhone 8 at launch, both have profit margins in the 30% range. Again you can find that in the financials.

The iPhone is called premium because the cheapest phone Apple sell is over $400 which would put apples entire iPhone range in the premium smartphone segment.

The components and specs are really behind much of Android development wise but much of that is wasted in the Android business model since device hardware and software isn’t nearly as optimized.
    That’s actually not true either. Don’t know why android users prefer to parrot it about.

Android hardware is inferior compared to the iPhone, has been for quite some time.

-Apple cpu with their ridiculous 8 core npu is considered industry leading and is at least two years ahead of what Qualcomm is putting out. Samsung recently terminated their custom mongoose cpu cores, they just can’t compete.

-Apple is also the only smartphone manufacturer that is using nvme based storage on a phone, everyone else uses the inferior Ufs standard, because it’s cheaper. Excited to see the performance gains with new pcie 4.0 based nvme storage for the next iPhone

-The display used on the new iPhone has double the avg peak brightness compared to any other android flagship, you can really see the difference in side by side comparisons on you tube. And is the only smartphone capable of Dolby vision. 800 nits available to the iPhone compared to only 400 for android flagships. It is a substantial difference in day to day use.

-the iPhone pro is the only smartphone with all 4 cameras capable of 4k60 and are color calibrated to match.

-Apple has been shipping a 3D facial recognition biometric solution on their iPhones for a while now, the competition still hasn’t caught up.

-the only smartphone currently with an ultra wide band chip

-the only smartphone with a polished Stainless Steel chassis. Samsung actually claimed the note 10 had a stainless steel frame, it’s aluminum.

- outstanding battery life, the iPhone pro beats the note 10+ by about 2 hours, while the iPhone pro max surpasses it by a 4 hours.

So to recap, the processor, gpu, npu, display, speakers, battery, 3D facial recognition, stainless steel frame, and cameras are all superior components and outperform the competition yet you claim Apple is behind android in hardware development. because of extra ram .

I’m not even going to bring up the Apple Watch or the AirPods.

I would advise you do a bit of research, seems your relying on outdated or inaccurate information. Good luck.
    grover5 likes this.
    12-12-2019 07:51 AM
    This thread makes me laugh, all this whining about iPhones costing so much ! in the eighties a carphone cost up to four grand and shortly after that, 1983 if I remember correctly, the motorola “brick” the first common truly mobile phone cost about two grand, and more if you wanted the white high cap batteries, and those things were so unreliable that most people went to pagers ! Now you have a serious camera/ computer/ phone, that is pretty damn reliable and apparently it is too expensive !!
    kcox52692 likes this.
    12-12-2019 01:14 PM
    This thread makes me laugh, all this whining about iPhones costing so much ! in the eighties a carphone cost up to four grand and shortly after that, 1983 if I remember correctly, the motorola “brick” the first common truly mobile phone cost about two grand, and more if you wanted the white high cap batteries, and those things were so unreliable that most people went to pagers ! Now you have a serious camera/ computer/ phone, that is pretty damn reliable and apparently it is too expensive !!
    It’s actually a healthy debate about the value of an iPhone compared to its price, and changes in smartphone sales, profits and market share, among other things. Nobody is whining.
    kataran and TgeekB like this.
    12-12-2019 01:47 PM
    It’s enough for some and not enough for others. 64GB is good for me. I don’t have songs, videos or photos on my phone. I use Dropbox to store photos I want to keep, and I only keep apps that I use.
    12-12-2019 09:05 PM
    Another for 64 gigs here. Been enough for me for years. But that’s my situation. I can see where it would be different for others.
    kataran likes this.
    12-12-2019 09:30 PM
    It’s enough for some and not enough for others. 64GB is good for me. I don’t have songs, videos or photos on my phone. I use Dropbox to store photos I want to keep, and I only keep apps that I use.
    Pretty much what I do, although I keep a few songs (maybe 4 or 5) downloaded local to use for alarms and various reasons. I use Box for most photos and videos.
    kataran likes this.
    12-13-2019 12:53 PM
    I’m guessing my localized data obsession comes from carrying PDAs back in the day

Even now I keep every receipt and scanned document on my iPhone so that’s the reason I can’t do with base storage devices
    12-13-2019 01:01 PM
    I’ve thought for a long time that there should be a 128gb option
    There is a 128gb option. I would have got it but couldn't afford it so I got the 64gb iPhone 8.I have iCloud backup and store my photos there. I also won't install that many apps so as to keep phone storage down.
    01-19-2020 09:07 PM
    There is a 128gb option. I would have got it but couldn't afford it so I got the 64gb iPhone 8.I have iCloud backup and store my photos there. I also won't install that many apps so as to keep phone storage down.
    There isn’t an 11 pro in 128gb
    01-20-2020 06:44 AM
    Wow. I had the 64GB SE, 32GB 7, and my current is the 64GB 8+. I have over 30 GB free on my 8+ and my SE almost had 40GB free. My iPads had at least 8GB free for the 32 GB but I clean up often. Yeah I haven’t played that in a few months - delete. Didn’t like that it’s gone. Etc.

64GB is great for most people. For those who live on their phones yeah I could see them wanting more.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    01-20-2020 10:50 AM
    There isn’t an 11 pro in 128gb
    Ah.
    01-20-2020 01:45 PM
70 123