Customers in the U.S. just won't use their phone to pay

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
One problem I run into, is store employees who are clueless about Pay. The store offers it, but the employee has no clue what to do. I hold the phone up to the machine, but nothing happens. And the employee just shrugs. This makes me not want to waste my time with Pay. I don't thing many iPhone users in my area are using Pay. This may be why store employees are clueless. Not enough experience with it.

What does the employee have to do? I haven’t noticed them doing anything.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I see Mom and Pop places that don’t take care of there digital payment terminals and even thou it accepts Apple Pay it doesn’t recognize my phone

Ahh, I haven’t run across that but probably will at some point. Certainly not enough to discourage me.
It does come down to needing more places that accept it in the U.S. before more people will take advantage of it.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I am happily ” old school”, that means cash, if it’s not in your pocket you can’t spend it, what someone spends their money on is nobody’s else’s business.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
What does the employee have to do? I haven’t noticed them doing anything.

Exactly. They only have to hit the button for card payments instead of cash. It’s not like they have to enter a binary code to enable Apple Pay on the terminal each time. It’s that simple. Big button for Cash and another for Card.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
One problem I run into, is store employees who are clueless about Pay. The store offers it, but the employee has no clue what to do. I hold the phone up to the machine, but nothing happens. And the employee just shrugs. This makes me not want to waste my time with Pay. I don't thing many iPhone users in my area are using Pay. This may be why store employees are clueless. Not enough experience with it.

I’ve had a few occasions in which the a new employee didn’t know which button to press for Pay, but a co-worker would assist or the cashier would figure it out. I think the last time that happened, I was at a Subway restaurant. Walgreen’s, McDonald’s, Kohl’s, and other places that have it are pretty much on point in my area.

MasterDarque

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Imo, Watch + Pay = a really sweet combo...
Just recently I’ve used this at a few retailers such as Target, and Barnes & Noble.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Not sure. Push a button or something.

Doesn’t sound too difficult.

It shouldn't be. Apparently, good help is hard to find.

I’ve had a few occasions in which the a new employee didn’t know which button to press for Pay, but a co-worker would assist or the cashier would figure it out. I think the last time that happened, I was at a Subway restaurant. Walgreen’s, McDonald’s, Kohl’s, and other places that have it are pretty much on point in my area.

Oh indeed. It’s the same button they press for all payments. The terminal itself must be equipped to accept NFC payments, the same as the must be equipped for chip and PIN instead of swipe. If they are equipped, and the vendor has it activated, the cashier need only to total your purchase. There is really no reason not to move forward into digital payments.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I was at the market and I payed with my Apple Watch. The old granny at the register freaked out and was waving and flapping her hand over the card terminal asking what I was doing. With her flapping hand she accidentally tapped “cash back” on the terminal. I had to request a manager to explain that I had payed with my watch and I didn’t want cash back and to stop interfering with customers paying with their watch. It was kind of a scene. Looking back, it was so worth it.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Oh indeed. It’s the same button they press for all payments. The terminal itself must be equipped to accept NFC payments, the same as the must be equipped for chip and PIN instead of swipe. If they are equipped, and the vendor has it activated, the cashier need only to total your purchase. There is really no reason not to move forward into digital payments.

Because it doesn't work too many times. So, I don't bother. The card works every time.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I’ve never had it not work.

I've had it not work several times. I use the card. Then when I get home I look. It wants me to add my card security code in. Well, it was in there. So why does it keep asking for it? I even had to call the bank once, because they had to reactivate the card for Apple Pay again. Why? It had already been activated. Then add the issues with employees, and it's just too much hassle.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I've had it not work several times. I use the card. Then when I get home I look. It wants me to add my card security code in. Well, it was in there. So why does it keep asking for it? I even had to call the bank once, because they had to reactivate the card for Apple Pay again. Why? It had already been activated. Then add the issues with employees, and it's just too much hassle.

That’s weird.
I admit, I’ve only used it a dozen times or so but it has worked every time. I agree that if it became a hassle I would drop it in a second and go back to using a card.

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I use Apple Pay where ever I can. If there’s a reader I don’t even ask if they take it, I just try it. 99% of the time it works and the clerk freaks out because they think I’ve done some kind of voodoo.
Kind of opposite of the people here I find Apple Pay in more Mom & Pop type places and more older folks (like 40s-50s) who get it vs younger ones who seem confused by the whole thing.
My husband won’t use it (or Face/Touch ID). I can’t get him to understand it’s more secure. My daughter has the problem mentioned above where it keeps wanting her to add her card even though she has a bunch of times so she gave up using it.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site

I’ve had to re-add my cards several times, especially on my Apple Watch. If you ever have to do a restore, you will have to re-add your cards. Barring any restores though, I haven’t had to re-add them. Adding them to Apple Pay varies based on provider, and card. I have two cards with my bank, one adds no problem, one I have to call for. I have a third card with another provider, no problem with that either.

As for employees at purchasing locations. Again, all they have to do is total your purchase. That’s the end of what they have to do for tap to pay. The purchasing location does have to have NFC enabled terminals and have them activated. As I stated earlier. Anything else is unnecessary confusion.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro