A new report from Strategy Analytics says that iPhone users are upgrading with less frequency than ever. The average time to upgrade a smartphone now stands at 33 months.

Full story from the iMore Blog...
    08-23-2019 10:30 AM
    Yes, I totally agree. The innovation or lack of, does not equal the increased pricing. Not even close "in my honest opinion". My 24 month old 7 Plus was a very solid iPhone and I really could have kept it for another 24 months and been happy. Don't get me wrong I love my current iPhone XS Max with the Face ID, OLED and edge to edge screen, but I don't think the price tag is fair. It's more like an $800 iPhone instead of the $1250 Apple asking price (256gb) and once again "in my honest opinion". This will be the LAST TIME I pay that much for a smartphone, it's just not worth it anymore. GREED is just getting more GREEDY.
    08-23-2019 11:00 AM
    Yeah, people aren’t ready to shell out a grand or more each year on a smartphone, regardless of the brand.
    08-23-2019 05:55 PM
    Plus quality begets longevity!
    08-23-2019 06:13 PM
    Yes, I totally agree. The innovation or lack of, does not equal the increased pricing. Not even close "in my honest opinion". My 24 month old 7 Plus was a very solid iPhone and I really could have kept it for another 24 months and been happy. Don't get me wrong I love my current iPhone XS Max with the Face ID, OLED and edge to edge screen, but I don't think the price tag is fair. It's more like an $800 iPhone instead of the $1250 Apple asking price (256gb) and once again "in my honest opinion". This will be the LAST TIME I pay that much for a smartphone, it's just not worth it anymore. GREED is just getting more GREEDY.
    Couldn’t agree more. iPhone users argued with people for a few years but are finally realizing prices are outrageous.
    dazzlingirl, Golurk and Spencerdl like this.
    08-23-2019 06:15 PM
    I can agree, especially living in a country with no Apple store and relying on retailers to sell you an 64 GB XR that works out to be 1100 USD when converted

Doesn't seem worth it when they can last a while, like the 5s still usable for basic usage
    Spencerdl likes this.
    08-23-2019 06:27 PM
    After 2020’s release, I’ll be moving to upgrading every 2-3 years. I love my Max but I’m only upgrading next year if Qualcomm is back in iPhones.
    08-23-2019 09:02 PM
    The problem is Apple is giving their users less and less to upgrade for at higher and higher costs. Should they correct that they will see more upgrades.
    Spencerdl and calebt like this.
    08-24-2019 04:47 AM
    I'm sure someone will report this as offensive, since that's the world we live in now, but.......

08-24-2019 07:35 AM
    I believe the price of the xs is more than justified.

iPhone XS Max 256 gb is £1249
    My iPhone 8 Plus 256 gb was £949
    My iPhone 7 Plus 256 gb was £919

For an additional £300 you get edge to edge oled screen without a chin, a stainless steel frame, Dolby vision, 4x4 Mimo, an 8 core npu and 3d facial recognition.

Out of all the premium features on the xs max that I listed flagship android phones only offer an oled display with a chin and 4x4 Mimo. No nvme storage either, yet they price their offerings similarly.

Don’t think it’s a matter of greed on apples part, they are just offering more premium hardware compared to the overpriced competition or past iPhones.

A bit off topic, but for the stainless steel frame alone I would have paid an extra £400. But that’s just me.
    08-24-2019 07:39 AM
    I'm sure someone will report this as offensive, since that's the world we live in now, but.......

[IMG=600x719]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190824/4e6775a2b1c241c9d740cf233b63cff3.jpg[/url]
    I don’t see anything wrong with the image, but then again, I’m old school...
    ladyc0524, Annie_M and Spencerdl like this.
    08-24-2019 07:40 AM
    I believe the price of the xs is more than justified.

iPhone XS Max 256 gb is £1249
    My iPhone 8 Plus 256 gb was £949
    My iPhone 7 Plus 256 gb was £919

For an additional £300 you get edge to edge oled screen without a chin, a stainless steel frame, Dolby vision, 4x4 Mimo, an 8 core npu and 3d facial recognition.

Out of all the premium features on the xs max that I listed flagship android phones only offer an oled display with a chin and 4x4 Mimo. No nvme storage either, yet they price their offerings similarly.

Don’t think it’s a matter of greed on apples part, they are just offering more premium hardware compared to the overpriced competition or past iPhones.

A bit off topic, but for the stainless steel frame alone I would have paid an extra £400. But that’s just me.
    That's why I wrote in my post "in my honest opinion". The overpricing didn't just start with the Xs Max, this Apple overpricing trend actually started some where around the 6/6Plus and has gotten out of hand year by year ..."in MY honest opinion".

Understanding that everyone has an "opinion", I just feel like the days of leaps and bounds of technology in smartphones (iPhones) past when the iPhone 6 series was released and the smaller incremental upgrades don't justify the Apple yearly increased pricing.
    08-24-2019 07:57 AM
    That's why I wrote in my post "in my honest opinion". The overpricing didn't just start with the Xs Max, this Apple overpricing trend actually started some where around the 6/6Plus and has gotten out of hand year by year ..."in MY honest opinion".

Understanding that everyone has an "opinion", I just feel like the days of leaps and bounds of technology in smartphones (iPhones) past when the iPhone 6 series was released and the smaller incremental upgrades don't justify the Apple yearly increased pricing.
    Sure.

But that doesn’t change the fact that apple started using more high performance components starting with the iPhone 6, such as the co motion processor and nvme based storage, they were using an aluminum shell when every other android oem was still using plastic on their flagships. That does have added costs.

Apples gross margin on iPhones have been flat in the 30% range for a very long time.

Apple isnt making exponentially more money on every iPhone sold even though iPhone prices have increased.

I wouldn’t call updates from the iPhone 6 to the xs max as incremental and yearly upgrades aren’t obligatory to use apple devices. It’s up to the consumer.

You could have remained with the iPhone 7 Plus for another year or two. You can still do that if you really want to.
    08-24-2019 08:30 AM
    Sure.

But that doesn’t change the fact that apple started using more high performance components starting with the iPhone 6, such as the co motion processor and nvme based storage, they were using an aluminum shell when every other android oem was still using plastic on their flagships. That does have added costs.

Apples gross margin on iPhones have been flat in the 30% range for a very long time.

Apple isnt making exponentially more money on every iPhone sold even though iPhone prices have increased.

I wouldn’t call updates from the iPhone 6 to the xs max as incremental and yearly upgrades aren’t obligatory to use apple devices. It’s up to the consumer.

You could have remained with the iPhone 7 Plus for another year or two. You can still do that if you really want to.
    Ok ...Let's just agree to disagree. Apple's pricing is what it is, and the bottom line customers are still buying Apple Products. I'm done here. No response necessary. Not going back and forth.
    ladyc0524 and Golurk like this.
    08-24-2019 08:33 AM
    I don’t see anything wrong with the image, but then again, I’m old school...
    Same here!
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    08-24-2019 08:49 AM
    The problem is Apple is giving their users less and less to upgrade for at higher and higher costs. Should they correct that they will see more upgrades.
    I agree. Hopefully the iPhone XI should be a significant improvement...consumers are tired of exorbitantly high prices when there is little to no incentive to upgrade (e.g iPhone X to XS)...let alone value for money.
    08-26-2019 10:45 AM
    If my carrier didn’t provide me with subsidization and basically pay for half my upgrade, I wouldn’t have upgraded from my 7 to an XR.
    08-26-2019 06:51 PM
    Apparently only the iPhone 11 Pro models will have triple cameras...while the successor to the XR and the ‘default’ iPhone 11 will have dual rear cameras instead of 3. Hope that’s not the case.
    08-27-2019 04:06 AM
    Apparently only the iPhone 11 Pro models will have triple cameras...while the successor to the XR and the ‘default’ iPhone 11 will have dual rear cameras instead of 3. Hope that’s not the case.
    Lol, The Xr has one camera, and fits my needs. How many cameras do you actually need on a phone. And what will be sacrificed for that extra camera... smaller battery.
    08-27-2019 05:16 AM
    Lol, The Xr has one camera, and fits my needs. How many cameras do you actually need on a phone. And what will be sacrificed for that extra camera... smaller battery.
    One great camera like the one on the Pixel 3, S9 and XR is enough for most people (including me). But a telephoto lens and/or wide angle would be nice (I hate zooming in and having terrible detail). Huawei has demonstrated that it is possible to have several cameras and a big battery...hopefully Apple will do the same
    taz323 likes this.
    08-27-2019 05:39 AM
    One great camera like the one on the Pixel 3, S9 and XR is enough for most people (including me). But a telephoto lens and/or wide angle would be nice (I hate zooming in and having terrible detail). Huawei has demonstrated that it is possible to have several cameras and a big battery...hopefully Apple will do the same
    I see your point, and agree about liking good photos and to be honest Xr photos fits my needs. And even though a camera is selling point for phone, its really never been at the top of the list for me.. but in a couple of weeks we will see.
    08-27-2019 05:34 PM
    What features on a phone do you actively look for when buying? For me the camera is one of the main things I look for.
    08-28-2019 02:05 AM
    What features on a phone do you actively look for when buying? For me the camera is one of the main things I look for.
    For me its not, I have a camera, and I use it for special events. Is a camera on a phone convenient, yes without out a doubt. But its not the only reason I use a phone. mail, contacts, calendar, internet, dependability, comparability with MBA and iPad. updates, customer service and so on....
    08-28-2019 03:55 AM
    For me its not, I have a camera, and I use it for special events. Is a camera on a phone convenient, yes without out a doubt. But its not the only reason I use a phone. mail, contacts, calendar, internet, dependability, comparability with MBA and iPad. updates, customer service and so on....
    I agree...although I’ve never really needed customer service before. Reliability is important, and for me so is good battery life. Liking or disliking a particular Android skin isn’t too much of an issue for me because I can simply install a launcher. But back to the apps like mail/calendar etc...I really hope when iPad OS comes out Apple will make using those apps even more seamless.
    taz323 likes this.
    08-28-2019 04:17 AM