Blaming violence on video games is wrong and dangerous

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
We've been doing this stupid back and forth for a very long time now, and it's still ridiculous. Only now, we have lots of data to prove it.

Full story from the iMore Blog...

Ignoring the effects that violent video games could have on people, especially in this day and age where young people can’t seem to cope with life, in general, is equally ridiculous, in my opinion.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Ignoring the effects that violent video games could have on people, especially in this day and age where young people can’t seem to cope with life in general is equally ridiculous, in my opinion.

I agree.
It’s not one thing, but I think several. Assault weapons, violent video games, websites like 8chan, how we raise our children. Put several of them together and it’s a deadly combination. None can be ignored.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree.
It’s not one thing, but I think several. Assault weapons, violent video games, websites like 8chan, how we raise our children. Put several of them together and it’s a deadly combination. None can be ignored.

Well stated, sir.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
It has been proven countless times that violent video games have no bearing on people’s personal violent tendencies. Now someone who is incapable of discerning between fiction and reality could have a problem. That’s another thing entirely though. Same goes with music, except aggressive music actually makes you more calm due to it working the aggression center of your brain.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It has been proven countless times that violent video games have no bearing on people’s personal violent tendencies. Now someone who is incapable of discerning between fiction and reality could have a problem. That’s another thing entirely though. Same goes with music, except aggressive music actually makes you more calm due to it working the aggression center of your brain.

Concluded? Yes
Proven? I doubt it

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site

Interesting because the studies I have read have shown a link between violent video games and aggressive behavior.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech...ysical-aggression-confirmed-study/1486188002/

Here is one recent study.

Of course, this does not mean those who play violent video games will be mass shooters. As I stated earlier, combine violent video game play with depression and reading racist websites and the chance probably increases. That, to me, is common sense.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Interesting because the studies I have read have shown a link between violent video games and aggressive behavior.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech...ysical-aggression-confirmed-study/1486188002/

Here is one recent study.

Of course, this does not mean those who play violent video games will be mass shooters. As I stated earlier, combine violent video game play with depression and reading racist websites and the chance probably increases. That, to me, is common sense.

Concluded? Yes
Proven? I doubt it

One current news article
Another current news article
A third current news article
One that actually brings your point to light as well

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
So you agree with me.
Violent video games are not directly connected to mass shootings.
They are connected to aggressive behavior.

No, at best they are associated with negligible aggressive behaviors, such as being a little more anti-social. Not really enough to say they truly effect behavior. Especially not when you have scrutinize decades worth of studies to see the nominal effect.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
It’s more like they really want to say it does, but don’t want to deal with the backlash and lawsuits. Negligible aggression and anti-social behavior? Get a minor cut, leave it untreated and then watch it manifest into a bigger problem. Desensitization to human misery devalues human life.

Common sense right there.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
It’s more like they really want to say it does, but don’t want to deal with the backlash and lawsuits. Negligible aggression and anti-social behavior? Get a minor cut, leave it untreated and then watch it manifest into a bigger problem. Desensitization to human misery devalues human life.

It’s more like I should be the devil incarnate. I was raised on violent video games. A DOS chess game where the pieces ripped each other apart, Doom, Mortal Kombat and others. Violence in my cartoons, movies, and other shows I watched. I’ve listened to metal my whole life too. I know countless other people raised the same way. Yet, we are not aggressive or violent people, or anti-social. Believe what you want.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It’s more like I should be the devil incarnate. I was raised on violent video games. A DOS chess game where the pieces ripped each other apart, Doom, Mortal Kombat and others. Violence in my cartoons, movies, and other shows I watched. I’ve listened to metal my whole life too. I know countless other people raised the same way. Yet, we are not aggressive or violent people, or anti-social. Believe what you want.

Don’t misunderstand me. In no way, shape or form am I saying that “EVERYONE” who plays violent video games turn into a raging maniac. What I am saying is that no one can truthfully say that those items do not have or have not had an influence on some evil acts perpetrated by some people over the years.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Don’t misunderstand me. In no way, shape or form am I saying that “EVERYONE” who plays violent video games turn into a raging maniac. What I am saying is that no one can truthfully say that those items do not have or have not had an influence on some evil acts perpetrated by some people over the years.

I agree. Many many people play these games and have no issue.. they are well adjusted. It’s the ones who are not well adjusted and play these games.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site

I agree. Many many people play these games and have no issue.. they are well adjusted. It’s the ones who are not well adjusted and play these games.

Therein lies the point of the article and my point. It’s not the games, it’s the person.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Therein lies the point of the article and my point. It’s not the games, it’s the person.

Incorrect, it’s both.
Why can some people smoke all their lives and not get cancer yet other people smoke for 5 years and get cancer? Nature vs. nurture. If you are predisposed genetically to cancer (not your fault) and you smoke (your decision/fault) you are more likely to get cancer.
If you are predisposed to being violent and you play video games where you go around killing people, those video games may exacerbate your violent tendency and cause you to do something you might not have done.
You are probably not a naturally violent person so the video games have little affect on you. It’s not one or the other, it’s the combination.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Incorrect, it’s both.
Why can some people smoke all their lives and not get cancer yet other people smoke for 5 years and get cancer? Nature vs. nurture. If you are predisposed genetically to cancer (not your fault) and you smoke (your decision/fault) you are more likely to get cancer.
If you are predisposed to being violent and you play video games where you go around killing people, those video games may exacerbate your violent tendency and cause you to do something you might not have done.
You are probably not a naturally violent person so the video games have little affect on you. It’s not one or the other, it’s the combination.

‘Nuf said...

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I fail to understand how someone could just ignore the effect anything violent would have on the mind. That to me is more boggling than this argument. Mankind has always had a thirst for blood. Seeing it makes some people want to imitate it. That’s common sense. Why are video games excluded from this?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73