MacBook vs. Air vs. Pro: This is the one you should buy!

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I’m not sure I read anything about cores and virtualization. Single core virtual machines can be just fine but there are scenarios where a 4 core MacBook can make all the difference for a power user who depends on virtual machines.

These sorts of discussions should bring up Activity Monitor and/or top to really know where performance bottlenecks are. They should also point out how powerful all personal computers are these days. Over and over I face people thinking they need more resources and not realizing how much I do as the IT director using a 12 inch MacBook.

Every 12 inch MacBook discussion should also include how silly it can be to spend the same sort of money on an iPad Pro. I provision the whole Apple line to users in a company with 700+ employees. That’s proven the little MacBooks and large screen phones as some of the best productivity tools ever.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I’m not sure I read anything about cores and virtualization. Single core virtual machines can be just fine but there are scenarios where a 4 core MacBook can make all the difference for a power user who depends on virtual machines.

These sorts of discussions should bring up Activity Monitor and/or top to really know where performance bottlenecks are. They should also point out how powerful all personal computers are these days. Over and over I face people thinking they need more resources and not realizing how much I do as the IT director using a 12 inch MacBook.

Every 12 inch MacBook discussion should also include how silly it can be to spend the same sort of money on an iPad Pro. I provision the whole Apple line to users in a company with 700+ employees. That’s proven the little MacBooks and large screen phones as some of the best productivity tools ever.

In some instances and professions, it is not silly to spend the same amount of money on an iPad Pro that others spend on a MacBook. I would not do it, but I can’t ignore it being worth it to others.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
In some instances and professions, it is not silly to spend the same amount of money on an iPad Pro that others spend on a MacBook. I would not do it, but I can’t ignore it being worth it to others.

That is true. The Pro models are good for some in our marketing department they're artists and writers. The thing is Apple markets them as computer replacements and I face people who find out not exactly true. I face people who have browser compatibility issues let alone just not being able to run some programs.

It's been a few months since my last trial but in most cases a Surface pen has been better for business note taking than Apple. I've had hopes the iPad OneNote and pencil would keep up. I'd love to hear if the latest revisions of both are keeping up with a Surface because Microsoft has been so good about the Apple mobile apps.

Bottom line is all the Apple products we have are very good but it repeats when I think there is not enough appreciation for that 12 inch MacBook and same for people not assessing the compute resources they might need as well as they should.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2