MoviePass now costs just $6.95/month to see one movie per day in theaters

MSUGrandma

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site
We’ve had ours since October (we pay the $9.99 per month) and love it! We see an average of 3-4 movies a week (we’ve seen ones that we definitely would not have paid to go see). We are both retired and live about 5 minutes from the theater so we usually go during the day. It’s a great deal. We’ve even seen a couple of movies twice. And it’s great because you can use it away from home too.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
We’ve had ours since October (we pay the $9.99 per month) and love it! We see an average of 3-4 movies a week (we’ve seen ones that we definitely would not have paid to go see). We are both retired and live about 5 minutes from the theater so we usually go during the day. It’s a great deal. We’ve even seen a couple of movies twice. And it’s great because you can use it away from home too.

Thank you for your feedback and Please know that you've been a big help. I think I'm going to go ahead and take the plunge. Thank you again!....:cool:

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Easy, by asking a fixed price a month, you get people to pay that money. If they go to a movie, cool. If they don’t go to a movie, even cooler, you already have the money.

Do you think this company makes a profit? As the price is apparently $9.99 per month, if the average number of cinema visits per customer per month is much more than one, they will lose money. I assume only people who go to the cinema fairly regularly subscribe to this service. What's their long term plan?

MSUGrandma

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site
That is one reason why I’m glad that we are on the month to month plan. If for some reason they don’t survive then I’m not out anything.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Do you think this company makes a profit? As the price is apparently $9.99 per month, if the average number of cinema visits per customer per month is much more than one, they will lose money. I assume only people who go to the cinema fairly regularly subscribe to this service. What's their long term plan?

Why are you asking me? Tweet them, mail them, call them and ask it yourself.

All I know is that most movie theatre chairs are empty most of the time, except for big movies.
An empty seat costs money, because the movie is running in that theatre anyway. If this company can get a chair for a $1 a movie, they will only start losing money if all their customers visit the theatre more than 10 times a month. And since that’s not gonna happen, they will keep making revenue.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site

Their business model is predicated on utilizing the data from what movies are watched. The eventually will use that compiled data to offer the moviegoers other related products and they also are working with the theaters on possible revenue sharing from consessions.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Why are you asking me? Tweet them, mail them, call them and ask it yourself.

I'm asking because this is a website for discussing things.

All I know is that most movie theatre chairs are empty most of the time, except for big movies.
An empty seat costs money, because the movie is running in that theatre anyway. If this company can get a chair for a $1 a movie, they will only start losing money if all their customers visit the theatre more than 10 times a month. And since that’s not gonna happen, they will keep making revenue.

This is true, but it depends on the cinemas agreeing to accept $1 for a ticket rather than the normal price. I understood that hasn't yet happened, but of course I might be wrong. The other question is why would they not just offer tickets at $1 to everyone, and cut out the middleman.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Their business model is predicated on utilizing the data from what movies are watched. The eventually will use that compiled data to offer the moviegoers other related products and they also are working with the theaters on possible revenue sharing from consessions.

Aha, so it's a marketing model, like Google and Facebook. Thanks!

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm asking because this is a website for discussing things.

This is true, but it depends on the cinemas agreeing to accept $1 for a ticket rather than the normal price. I understood that hasn't yet happened, but of course I might be wrong. The other question is why would they not just offer tickets at $1 to everyone, and cut out the middleman.

Beats me 🧐

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
This has nothing to do with MoviePass.

The theaters are not selling the seats for a $1 per seat. MoviePass pays the theaters full price for the movies that their subscribers attend through their service.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
This has nothing to do with MoviePass.

The theaters are not selling the seats for a $1 per seat. MoviePass pays the theaters full price for the movies that their subscribers attend through their service.

Thanks for the clarification. I was only guessing here.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
A buddy of mine swears by this service. I only go to the movie theater once or twice a year so MoviePass isn’t valuable to me personally but it’s an awesome deal for those who go to the movies more often. I can’t help but feel that this isn’t a sustainable business model though. Oh well. Take advantage while it lasts!

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
A buddy of mine swears by this service. I only go to the movie theater once or twice a year so MoviePass isn’t valuable to me personally but it’s an awesome deal for those who go to the movies more often. I can’t help but feel that this isn’t a sustainable business model though. Oh well. Take advantage while it lasts!

If you're a regular at the cinema, let Silicon Valley investors pay for your ticket. :)