Delete your Facebook

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
This thread isn’t about data mining by the government. I suggest you stay on topic.

The data mining in this story didn't take place by the government nor was Facebook an active participant in this. They were negligent in securing user data, sure. But they weren't actively participating in what took place by Cambridge.

Okay

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Seriously, if someone is that worried about their information being collected, then I suggest they completely delete ALL online presence, including all email addresses, cancel all power, water, sewer and phone services, move into the woods to live off the land and off the grid.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Seriously, if someone is that worried about their information being collected, then I suggest they completely delete ALL online presence, including all email addresses, cancel all power, water, sewer and phone services, move into the woods to live off the land and off the grid.

Or they can delete Facebook and eliminate one known source of data sharing. I deleted Facebook years ago. Trust me, it’s good for your health.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I deleted my Facebook profile itself back in 2014 not really because of these issues but because it just lost its luster. Less of what my friends would post and more of what "such and such liked" on my feed and sponsored ads for things that didn't appeal to me at all. It grew into a social network for older people who use it as a way to connect with each other and spread shortsighted "libs are retards" and "religious people are crazy" memes in place of actual articles and paragraphs that people aren't savvy enough to read on their own. Someone shares those things and they get the cheer-leading comments of those who share their same views to make themselves feel some self-importance. People have become "Yelpified" and believe their opinion is really, really important and it should be put out there for everyone to see when in reality they don't matter at all. Older and younger.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Remember back in the day when you could not be on FaceBook with out a edu email address. It needed to be verified.

Now it's just junk.....

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Well, I deleted my Facebook account today. I have until 4/4 to change my mind but I’m hoping to stick to my guns.
Honestly, I have been contemplating it for a while now. Recent news just pushed me off the fence.