Advertisers losing 'hundreds of millions' due to anti-tracking measure

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So does this mean that I’m suppose to feel sorry for advertisers who want to track my online activity for the purpose of trying to display ads they think I might be interested in. Am I suppose to feel sorry for the same advertisers who routinely disregard requests to not be bothered by their ads? The same advertisers who would circumvent any attempt by the consumer to prevent their ads from being displayed on their devices? Well, I don’t feel sorry for them AT ALL!

Last edited:

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
So does this mean that I’m suppose to feel sorry for advertisers who want to track my online activity for the purpose of trying to displaying ads they they I might be interested in. Am I suppose to feel sorry for the same advertisers who routinely disregard requests to not be bothered by their ads? The same advertisers who would circumvent any attempt by the consumer to prevent their ads from being displayed on their devices? Well, I don’t feel sorry for them AT ALL!

Just for the sake of argument, let’s take Google for example:
How would you feel to pay 1¢ per search query in their search engine. Or 2¢ per email that you sent, with an additional 10¢ per attachment that you included?

Having said that, I am totally pro non-intrusive advertising.
But some news apps that I’m using to follow Dutch news really takes the cake. Every video in their app is lead by a 10 to 15 seconds ad before the actual video of 20 to 30 seconds starts. Every one of them.
I would be okay to watch 1 ad per 10 or 15 videos, but this practice they’re doing has made me totally avoid watching videos.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Advertisers are losing money because they can't track my online activities???

That's one of the main reasons I use iPhone, even having to pay so much more for it!

Well done, Apple!

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Just for the sake of argument, let’s take Google for example:
How would you feel to pay 1¢ per search query in their search engine. Or 2¢ per email that you sent, with an additional 10¢ per attachment that you included?

Having said that, I am totally pro non-intrusive advertising.
But some news apps that I’m using to follow Dutch news really takes the cake. Every video in their app is lead by a 10 to 15 seconds ad before the actual video of 20 to 30 seconds starts. Every one of them.
I would be okay to watch 1 ad per 10 or 15 videos, but this practice they’re doing has made me totally avoid watching videos.

As I’ve stated in several threads, the classic ad venues, I don’t mind - TV, OTA radio broadcast, paper magazines, billboard - you know what I mean. What I despise are ads on my personal devices. I don’t want to see ads when I’m playing a game on my iPhone. I don’t want to see ads all over the friggin’ place when I try to read an article online or peruse a tech forum like iMore via a web browser. I don’t want to see ads when I check the temperature via a weather app. I don’t want to see ads when I’m simply trying to read tweets. Know what I mean? Advertisers can push all the ads they want as long as I have the option to disable them from being displayed. That, in my opinion, is a fair compromise.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
As I’ve stated in several threads, the classic ad venues, I don’t mind - TV, OTA radio broadcast, paper magazines, billboard - you know what I mean. What I despise are ads on my personal devices. I don’t want to see ads when I’m playing a game on my iPhone. I don’t want to see ads all over the friggin’ place when I try to read an article online or peruse a tech forum like iMore via a web browser. I don’t want to see ads when I check the temperature via a weather app. I don’t want to see ads when I’m simply trying to read tweets. Know what I mean? Advertisers can push all the ads they want as long as I have the option to disable them from being displayed. That, in my opinion, is a fair compromise.

And how do you suggest iMore or the devs of those apps, websites gonna pay for hosting and food on their tables?

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
And how do you suggest iMore or the devs of those apps, websites gonna pay for hosting and food on their tables?

Asking you for paying that. Not everything, but I think you got what I want to say. There's two kinds of business right here. If I want "free" stuff, if I don't care about my privacy, if I don't care maybe my apps aren't so beautiful and well made I would buy and love Android. It's cheaper (or not), lots of stuff that I receive paying just with my life, not my money.

But, on the other hand, if I'm willing to pay more for my device, if I do care about my privacy, if I don't like intrusive ads, that's why I opt for Apple and iPhone. For me that's pretty clear. So, advertisers losing money in Apple ecosystem for me is a great news, a signal that the game is working as I expect to do. Having an iPhone I'm willing to pay for what I want to use. In return I want my privacy respected and less ads as possible. In fact I tend to quickly uninstall all apps that don't give me the option to not have ads poping on my screen all the time. It simply annoys me... If it's good and I like it, so I really prefer to pay for it.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
What a shame ! So an industry trying to make a living by using my irreplaceable time to attempt to sell me items or services that I neither need nor want, is crying because it cannot in some cases,access my data space on,my broadband( that I pay for),my wifi (that I pay for) and my hardware that I have paid blood for !! I would happily pay for a service that had no advertisements on it at all,and did not allow the fiddling of rankings but still had the search info that we all need.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

They can display the ads on their website or via their app, thus allow them to get revenue. Having said that, my stance remains the same - give me the option to disable the ads from appearing. That’s not preventing them from hosting ads or preventing others who choose to view them from actually viewing them.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
If their ads are so desired then I’m sure some would simply CHOOSE to see them. I would never be one of those people though, perhaps I’m unique.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If their ads are so desired then I’m sure some would simply CHOOSE to see them. I would never be one of those people though, perhaps I’m unique.

I’m with you! Advertisers, in general, seem to not want to respect the wishes of those who don’t want to view their ads. Sure, I can get an ad blocker or choose not use the app or website that’s displaying the ads, but wouldn’t it be a win for everyone if the option to view the ads or not was always available? I’m sure many of us who wouldn’t want to see ads day in and day out would opt to view some of them during various holidays - Valentine’s Day, Memorial Day and Christmas.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't mind some banner ads at the top or bottom in apps, as long as they're not animated. I feel like advertisers have cut their own throats by making ads more intrusive and obnoxious. And Apple are just as guilty for when a few years ago, they allowed developers all the new ad space. Like full page ads in an app. We didn't use to see those. But Apple thought it would be great. Then there's those that while I'm reading something, a pop up ad jumps up in my face, coming from just about any direction. Sometimes they just slide in from the side. They do that on the iMore site. I wouldn't mind ads so much if they were presented as they used to be. Like on a sidebar to the side, rather than in my face. That's a real turn off. It doesn't make me want to read the ad or buy their products or services. I find it funny that Apple allowed all the new ads for apps, then implement the anti-tracking stuff. I use an adblocker on my iPhone that blocks ads in Safari as well as apps. I also use the Facebook client app Friendly +, which has a built in ad blocker. If advertisers want me to see their ads, they'll have to stop making them obnoxious, annoying, and intrusive. Otherwise, I simply don't have room for them on my little gadget.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I guess I don’t see how the ad issue is any different than watching tv. The ability to fast forward through commercials is fairly recent. Prior to that, if you watched tv you accepted the fact that you had to view commercials. It came with the territory. Everyone has a right to profit off the content they provide you. If it’s a problem, utilize a different media source. That said, if Apple chooses to implement measures to prevent ads in THEIR devices, they have that right and I see no issue with it.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
.... Then there's those that while I'm reading something, a pop up ad jumps up in my face, coming from just about any direction. Sometimes they just slide in from the side. They do that on the iMore site. I wouldn't mind ads so much if they were presented as they used to be. Like on a sidebar to the side, rather than in my face. That's a real turn off. It doesn't make me want to read the ad or buy their products or services. ...
I know, right? The ads you mentioned above drives me crazy. I’m certain that iMore has suffered in the way of web traffic because of them. Like you, those annoying ads that appear out of nowhere and distract me from what I was reading does not make me want to view the ad or even consider what they could be offering. In fact, it makes me leave the site, especially if I can’t enter reader mode.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I guess I don’t see how the ad issue is any different than watching tv. The ability to fast forward through commercials is fairly recent. Prior to that, if you watched tv you accepted the fact that you had to view commercials. It came with the territory. Everyone has a right to profit off the content they provide you. If it’s a problem, utilize a different media source. That said, if Apple chooses to implement measures to prevent ads in THEIR devices, they have that right and I see no issue with it.

Yes, people have the right to profit off the content they provide. No doubt about it. With that in mind, when Apple, Samsung, Google, HTC, etcetera previews one of their smartphones, they do not preview a gazillion ads. They typically show us what the device can do in regard to features, and those things causes us to either buy it or not. Advertisers have traditional mediums. TV, billboards, store front windows, magazines and moving vehicles. Stay there. Do not bombard my smartphone with that crap! They can also place their ads in apps like groupon and similar apps that are basically all about ads. Millions of people willingly use those apps so there’s no reason we have to be bombarded with them while playing a game or trying to read a simple article or thread in a tech forum, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site

I don’t care if people who make a living by irritating us starve to death !! and IMO 98% of apps have no useful purpose so same applies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner