Does Rene Ritchie get a bad rap for explaining Apple’s motive?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
On far too many occasions, I read all of the attacks on Rene for trying to educate readers on Apple’s motives as well as debunk certain misconceptions. I’m amazed at how easily various readers dismiss his actions as obediently defending Apple. It’s as if any attempt to clarify something regarding Apple means he is unable to think/reason and therefore must be receiving compensation for his alleged “defense of all things Apple”. Is he getting a bad rap? What are your thoughts about it?

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
On far too many occasions, I read all of the attacks on Rene for trying to educate readers on Apple’s motives as well as debunk certain misconceptions. I’m amazed at how easily various readers dismiss his actions as obediently defending Apple. It’s as if any attempt to clarify something regarding Apple means he is unable to think/reason and therefore must be receiving compensation for his alleged “defense of all things Apple”. Is he getting a bad rap? What are your thoughts about it?

I believe that it's due to the tribal nature of ancient phone wars. Apple centric sites are a congregation point for antiApple detractors, which is hilarious. I personally don't go into Android centric sites so I don't get the fascination with going to a site in order to purposely antagonise the users of that OS. But for some, it's a calling that is religious in its fervour.
I think Apple centric sites should cater to the users of that OS. No matter what Rene does or says, there will always be anti iOS detractors. People who spend their lives, years at a time, frequenting sites to discredit the writers of the site, or users of the product specific to that site, are sad and pathetic individuals with little or nothing of value.
It's been years since I set foot on Android Central. Similarly for Windows Central. I was banned from Crackberry so meh.....it was ultimately the best thing that could have happened. I visit here and other Apple sites infrequently because I'm fairly done with the tearing down of people who write pro Apple articles. I now just read the article and laugh at the drama, and don't bother to post much.
So......Rene should do as he does on iMore and Phil should do as he does on Android Central. I know where my money is going and that's what I seek out. I know what each OS does and I couldn't care less about the venom of the anti Apple posters on iMore or any other Apple site.
Rene is right in doing his job. He should continue. The detractors? Useless and irrelevant drama.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I believe that it's due to the tribal nature of ancient phone wars. Apple centric sites are a congregation point for antiApple detractors, which is hilarious. I personally don't go into Android centric sites so I don't get the fascination with going to a site in order to purposely antagonise the users of that OS. But for some, it's a calling that is religious in its fervour.
I think Apple centric sites should cater to the users of that OS. No matter what Rene does or says, there will always be anti iOS detractors. People who spend their lives, years at a time, frequenting sites to discredit the writers of the site, or users of the product specific to that site, are sad and pathetic individuals with little or nothing of value.
It's been years since I set foot on Android Central. Similarly for Windows Central. I was banned from Crackberry so meh.....it was ultimately the best thing that could have happened. I visit here and other Apple sites infrequently because I'm fairly done with the tearing down of people who write pro Apple articles. I now just read the article and laugh at the drama, and don't bother to post much.
So......Rene should do as he does on iMore and Phil should do as he does on Android Central. I know where my money is going and that's what I seek out. I know what each OS does and I couldn't care less about the venom of the anti Apple posters on iMore or any other Apple site.
Rene is right in doing his job. He should continue. The detractors? Useless and irrelevant drama.

Well-stated, and thank you...

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I agree with the above comments. I will say that I have read a couple of Rene's articles that were certainly showing his bias, but that's ok. I can jump over and read one that is bias in the other direction too. For the most part I think Rene and the rest of the writers on iMore do a great job. Same can be said for Android Central. While I do read other sites, the Mobile Nations sites are definitely the ones I look to first.

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
I may see things differently than some, but I choose to visit all the sites under the Mobile Nation banner from time to time. It helps me keep a more balanced perspective. I think RR has a writing style that is... interesting. He definitely knows his audience, I believe.

For me, I prefer writers than can show balance and acknowledge a different perspective. I don't believe that any writer, much less an editor, is above criticism. No company is perfect, nor their every decision. Apple, Google, Microsoft all can suffer from missteps. If something is botch or mishandled by a company, I don't think it's unreasonable to call them on it.

I feel like some people will always have something to say about RR writing solely because it's him that writing it and not the subject matter itself. Some people blindly either support or disavow any piece he writes. While his style isn't necessarily my taste, actually prefer Serenity's work, I can appreciate he's writing an article for his audience.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox