Apps that use iCloud will require app-specific passwords starting June 15

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
They are attempting to protect our data residing on their servers, and thereby attempting to protect their services and systems.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Yea we all love security...but we are nearing the edge of inconvenience. If this was optional it'd be great. Seems more like a headache for the end user. I understand the reasoning though.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yea we all love security...but we are nearing the edge of inconvenience. If this was optional it'd be great. Seems more like a headache for the end user. I understand the reasoning though.

Security and convenience are always at odds with each other, and with Apple being held to a higher standard than most, they'd be scrutinized BIG TIME if a major security breach were to occur causing customers to lose their precious data without them taking drastic steps to prevent it, especially when they've spend the past few months promoting security OR they may have credible evidence that suggests that they may be a target of a major hack attempt or something.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Seems to me that I'd rather close my I cloud account rather than keep company with a lot of potentially dodgy insecure apps. I suppose Google's new 'assistant ' (data scraper' will be one of them.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Seems to me that I'd rather close my I cloud account rather than keep company with a lot of potentially dodgy insecure apps. I suppose Google's new 'assistant ' (data scraper' will be one of them.

No one has said there are "dodgy insecure apps". This is about Apple more than apps. The apps are fine.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
of course that is what the implication is, if apps not originating from the Apple system ave to be fenced,what else could it be ? Do you trust Google for instance ?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
of course that is what the implication is, if apps not originating from the Apple system ave to be fenced,what else could it be ? Do you trust Google for instance ?

They don't have to be. Apple just wants to do it. As far as I know, none have done anything wrong. There were issues in the early days, but not in a long while. Yes, I trust Google. They mine for ad purposes, but many do these days. But they're not trying to glean your personal information to rob you. App developers are serious about their apps. They put a lot of work in to them and don't want to jeopardize that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2