Apple abruptly slashes App Store affiliate revenue

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
What does this mean to regular people like me? For now all I do is use apps and do some gaming. Thinking about learning swift and maybe making my own apps

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
No.. The affiliate program provides a unique way for your website or app to link to millions of songs and thousands of apps — as well as books, movies, TV shows and more while earning commissions on qualifying sales and memberships on Apple Music. Apply now to join the program and earn commissions on Apple Music, iTunes, App Store, and iBooks. People click a link they would normally get a small percentage. That is what is being lowered.

Apple's affiliate program likely wasn't a major revenue source but at 2.5% it's now pretty much negligible. Commissions for all app and in-app content will be reduced from 7% to 2.5% globally. All other content types (music, movies, books, and TV) will remain at the current 7% commission rate in all markets.

Developers still get 70%. This is for affiliate links which is not used by developers but mainly news outlets or other influencers. Again the Developers get 70% of the sale price of their apps, But it is the revenue from ads inside of apps. Two different things.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm afraid this means that there will be less Apps because App developers won't be able to afford to develop apps for free.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
No.. The affiliate program provides a unique way for your website or app to link to millions of songs and thousands of apps — as well as books, movies, TV shows and more while earning commissions on qualifying sales and memberships on Apple Music. Apply now to join the program and earn commissions on Apple Music, iTunes, App Store, and iBooks. People click a link they would normally get a small percentage. That is what is being lowered.

Apple's affiliate program likely wasn't a major revenue source but at 2.5% it's now pretty much negligible. Commissions for all app and in-app content will be reduced from 7% to 2.5% globally. All other content types (music, movies, books, and TV) will remain at the current 7% commission rate in all markets.

Developers still get 70%. This is for affiliate links which is not used by developers but mainly news outlets or other influencers. Again the Developers get 70% of the sale price of their apps, But it is the revenue from ads inside of apps. Two different things.

OH GOOD!!! Thank you for clearing that up!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods