Tim Cook speaks out against controversial bills in Indiana, Arkansas

iMore.com

Administrator
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Tim Cook isn't just Apple's CEO, he's increasingly the company's and the industry's voice for inclusivity and equality.

As such, it should come as no surprise that Tim Cook has taken to Twitter to speak out on the potentially discriminatory*new legislation being proposed and passed in Arkansa and Indiana.

Full story from the iMore Blog...

rapperman

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Quite honestly I have no clue what these bills are in reference to, although I could venture a guess based on Tim Cook's feeling as though he needs to comment on them.

Apple is a tech company, not a soapbox for one's personal political opinions. If Tim Cook feels strongly about an issue he should direct his comments personally rather than issue a statement on behalf of the company he leads.

I am also disappointed by this site's continuing need to report on political views that are clearly non-tech related. If I want to see what's new in politics today, I'll check any of the dozens of websites that specifically cater to such news. Nothing in this piece was tech related.

Further, your effort to "reduce low value comments" is nothing more than an attempt to censor the views of your readers. If you expect comments and or opinions that may be inflammatory or not to your liking then perhaps you shouldn't publish the article in the first place.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
[NOTE]Mobile Nations is a network used by people of all ages, so please keep posts family appropriate.
Thank you[/NOTE]

ejraney

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
While I may not share his personal/political views, he has every right in both his personal and professional position to express his views, and support the causes he believes in.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Dev from tipb

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I enjoy one Oklahoma state representative's response to a similar bill under debate in her state, adding this amendment:

Any person not wanting to participate in any of the activities set forth in subsection A of this section based on sexual orientation, gender identity or race of either party to the marriage shall post notice of such refusal in a manner clearly visible to the public in all places of business, including websites. The notice may refer to the person’s religious beliefs, but shall state specifically which couples the business does not serve by referring to a refusal based upon sexual orientation, gender identity or race.

If your beliefs are that sincerely held, you should have no trouble putting them out there for your potential customers to see, so that those who have no choice can avoid wasting your (and their) time, and those who do have a choice have the pertinent information.

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
I really doubt Tim Cook cares if everybody agrees with his way of life. I imagine that all he really wants is to be treated like a human being and fellow tax paying American. As a gay American, I can honestly say that is all I really want.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
1. It was his personal Twitter account, so you're mischaracterizing what he did.

2. This isn't "censorship", no government or outside entity forced out to do anything. This is editorial policy. Just like you can't force the New York Times to print your diatribe or CNN to air your home video, you can't force a website to host your comments. That what your own website is for.

3. Last time I wasted a bunch of time deleting ugly hate speech. Humans are disappointing sometimes.

Dev from tipb

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
100 years from now, hopefully sooner, we'll look back in horror at how ugly we were to each other here and now.

It won't take 100 years -- A restaurant chain owner took a case all the way to the Supreme Court over the right to refuse service to African Americans on religious grounds, saying the Civil Rights Act violated his freedom of religion. His argument was that his "religious beliefs compel[ed] him to oppose any integration of the races whatever."

And he we are, horrified only 47 years later.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
He needs to stick with running the company and stop trying to make everyone else agree with his way of life.

At the end of the day, I respect Tim Cook for taking a stand. If we only ever left political comment to the politicians, we would never get anything done, now would we? I dread... DREAD... the day the country is put in the charge of the religious wackos that want to enforce their skewed way of life on the rest of us.

It is everyone's right to comment on politics or religion, regardless of whether I agree with them or not. We have laws about that over here.

Much like that religious nutjob from that redneck reality show last year, you can say what you want but boy you better be prepared for the consequences...

Religion =/= politics and it NEVER should!

GadgetGator

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
And you need to stick to whatever it was you were doing before trolling the Internet. He IS running the company. Or did you naively forget that Apple has stores with employees in Indiana that he might be looking out for.

Geez..the short sightedness of some people really astounds me. Try to see the bigger picture.

GadgetGator

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
Quite honestly I have no clue what these bills are in reference to, although I could venture a guess based on Tim Cook's feeling as though he needs to comment on them.

Apple is a tech company, not a soapbox for one's personal political opinions. If Tim Cook feels strongly about an issue he should direct his comments personally rather than issue a statement on behalf of the company he leads.

I am also disappointed by this site's continuing need to report on political views that are clearly non-tech related. If I want to see what's new in politics today, I'll check any of the dozens of websites that specifically cater to such news. Nothing in this piece was tech related.

Further, your effort to "reduce low value comments" is nothing more than an attempt to censor the views of your readers. If you expect comments and or opinions that may be inflammatory or not to your liking then perhaps you shouldn't publish the article in the first place.

It is funny how people want Apple to lead the way on environmental issues, and make public statements, but if it comes to gay issues....oh no...all of a sudden we shouldn't want apple to make the world a better place. Why?

A variety of corporations are speaking out. It would look odd considering Apple's stature and quarterly profits to not weigh in as well. Particularly when the CEO is gay and when they have employees in Indiana.

bikewolf

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
Tim Cook isn't alone in speaking out about this bill. Salesforce is changing the way they do business in Indiana because if this.

tgara

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
Gotta disagree with you on your point #1 Rene. Rapperman got it right. It's immaterial which Twitter account he uses. What is important are the words he chose (e.g., specifically stating Apple and "We"). A fair reading of what Cook posted would conclude that he was speaking for the company.

I agree wholeheartedly on Points 2 and 3.