Yosemite 10.10.3 beta bakes in support for Google's 2-step verification

iMore.com

Administrator
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
google-authenticator-mac-iphone6-hero.jpg

t looks like managing your Google accounts on your Mac is about to get a tad easier. The OS X 10.10.3 beta for developers appears to contain native support for Google's 2-step verification when adding Google accounts in system preferences.

Full story from the iMore Blog...

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
The new change borks up POP gmail. Now my email is a mess on my MBP. FWIW, I despise IMAP on my mac. I prefer POP so I can keep copies of the important mail on my mac for reference/archive. This has pushed me beyond pi$$ed.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Sorry you are having trouble. But I'm the opposite. I hate POP mail. I haven't had a chance to install the beta yet though.

Can you help a brother out with the whole gmail IMAP thing?

I have about 30 mailboxes ("folders") in Mail under the "On My Mac" section. With gmail configured as POP, i download copies of my email from google, run it through a set of rules to filter it and move it into these various mailboxes on my MBP.

With IMAP, I get everything in either INBOX or ARCHIVE, and there is no order to the emails. Finding stuff is a nightmare, because it's basically all in the archive "folder" in gmail.

Also, under the IMAP setup, I see new emails show up in TWO folders on my MBP: inbox and archive:
View attachment 77054

Can you explain how this is supposed to work and what I am doing wrong?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I hate the archive/all mail feature. You basically have to set gmail up in a browser. So go to gmail in a browser and go to settings. There should be a tab for the labels. You can turn on/off which are shown as folders to IMAP. Uncheck the box for All Mail. That is the important one to turn off, but I also don't want Google's starred or important to show up on my Mac. I also disable the spam from IMAP because I trust Google's spam filter and do t want those on my Mac anyway.
So I don't have rules/filters on the Mac side at all, but I can move messages from my inbox on the Mac to any of my other folders and it gets reflected correctly if I go check gmail in a browser. It also seems correct on the Mac Mail side. So I imagine your Mac side filter will work fine to move messages around.
The other thing that can cause issues is if in gmail in the browser, you add multiple labels to emails. The problem is that gmail's labels concept doesn't work correctly with IMAP folders since an email can only be in one folder. That, I think, is the root cause of IMAP problems whe the All Mail feature is on-gmail has the folder in multiple place (all mail, inbox, and one or more other folders) and that just pisses off IMAP implementations. So basically gmail has a very non-standard implementation of IMAP that they shoehorned on after-the-fact when they after they had the all mail and labels concept.

Thanks, Karen. The whole turning off labels and stuff like All Mail, Spam, etc really helps. I just made a few of those changes and it's already looking/working better. I'm going to give this some time - given that I don't have a choice at this point. :)

I have (had) a few filters set in the browser version of gmail. I have deleted them for now to see how this works out. So with this setup, all new mail comes in in the inbox, correct? And what happens when I drag an email to a folder in the On My Mac structure? Does it copy or move it? Ultimately, the question is does it get moved from gmail onto my MBP or is it just a copy?

It would be awesome if you could somehow invoke the Apple Mail filters to be applied to the IMAP mail and move the stuff around in Mail. But let's see how this shakes out.

Thanks again, Karen. Appreciate the "hand holding". :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711