Tim Cook opens up about his personal life for the first time

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
It doesn't bother me that he made an "announcement" on it, so to speak. I wasn't in the want-to-know camp, but I don't really think he should keep quiet about it if he doesn't want to. Some people feel compelled to let you know that they're gay just like some people feel compelled to let me know that they have a belief in "god." I can't tell you how many times I've come across people who I've known for five minutes that just want to make sure that I know that they're Christian. If it makes them feel better to engage in communicating, that's fine. I personally am more offended when I'm told "god bless you" at the end of a conversation because now you're assuming that I also believe in what you do. The same way I'd be offended if someone casually told me they're gay in a conversation without me ever inquiring and they all of a sudden make a pass at me without knowing if I'm homosexual or not.

Yes no one should make a pass at you as 'you're the one who knocks'.

iTechHead

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
It's his choice at the end of the day, long as the business side of things have no affect I honestly don't think anyone cares. No one is going to stop buying apple products just because the CEO is gay. I'm a straight male but I treat everyone the same even if I don't agree with 100 percent of their decisions, which I never will because we're only human. With that being said I'll still look at Tim Cook the same way because I think he's brought great changes to Apple. In my personal opinion you have no business doing something if you're ashamed of doing it. With that being said if Tim wants to open up then by all means go ahead but afterwards let's move on from it and get back to being one of the most leading innovative companies in technology.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Why do you think everyone is calling you out specifically?
"Everyone" is NOT calling me out specifically. In fact, I haven't even posted anything that needed calling out. Some of you simply don't like the fact that I dare say publicly that I didn't care that Tim Cook was gay. I can only assume it was taken as a slight when it was even like that at all.
This isn't about you.
Then why respond to what I posted?
It is about Tim.
True, and I said that I didn't care if he was gay, and I still don't. Am I not allowed to comment in a forum thread?
"ignorance" is debatable.
Nice try...:)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I never said there were any of those things.
But there is a difference between someone stating they are straight because as I said above that is the presumed default in our society. For example, if I'm at work and someone asks me how my weekend was and I say something like "Ed and I didn't do much. Just hung out at home", no one would think twice about it. But someone who hasn't publicly (or to their coworkers or friends) stated that they are gay, has to "self-filter" and rather than being able to answer the question naturally (like if I said, "Sally and I…), they have to make something up or else leave out the info that they spent a pleasant weekend at home with their SO. Someone stating that they are gay to friends, family, and coworkers (or in Tim Cook's case, publicly because he was already a well-known public figure), just means they can turn that "self-filter" off and talk about normal friends and family stuff without always having to watch what they say.
Karen, I understand your point, and my quoted comment was not directed at you...:)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't bother me that he made an "announcement" on it, so to speak. I wasn't in the want-to-know camp, but I don't really think he should keep quiet about it if he doesn't want to. Some people feel compelled to let you know that they're gay just like some people feel compelled to let me know that they have a belief in "god." I can't tell you how many times I've come across people who I've known for five minutes that just want to make sure that I know that they're Christian. If it makes them feel better to engage in communicating, that's fine. I personally am more offended when I'm told "god bless you" at the end of a conversation because now you're assuming that I also believe in what you do. The same way I'd be offended if someone casually told me they're gay in a conversation without me ever inquiring and they all of a sudden make a pass at me without knowing if I'm homosexual or not.

He can tell anyone he wants to tell, but that doesn't mean he should. Again, I don't care about him being gay. That's his business. At the same time, with any announcement comes those who will celebrate, those who will complain and those who will not care. I fall in the "I don't care" category. That's all I'm saying...:)

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Whoa, what happened in here. It's not that serious. Tim Cook is who he is...PERIOD. It doesn't change anything for me about Apple products...."It is what it is"

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
"Everyone" is NOT calling me out specifically. In fact, I haven't even posted anything that needed calling out. Some of you simply don't like the fact that I dare say publicly that I didn't care that Tim Cook was gay. I can only assume it was taken as a slight when it was even like that at all. Then why respond to what I posted? True, and I said that I didn't care if he was gay, and I still don't. Am I not allowed to comment in a forum thread?
Nice try...:)

Don't do that. No one is telling you you can't post here. I may not agree with everything you say. I am just engaging you in conversation. Just because I disagree with you does not mean I don't think you have the right to express yourself. My point is and will continue to be, is that very often when these type of topics come up people say they don't need to know/or care if the person is gay. Then continue to make sure to state they are heterosexual (which you did in your first post). I find this sentiment to be extremely hypocritical.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Don't do that. No one is telling you you can't post here. I may not agree with everything you say. I am just engaging you in conversation. Just because I disagree with you does not mean I don't think you have the right to express yourself. My point is and will continue to be, is that very often when these type of topics come up people say they don't need to know/or care if the person is gay. Then continue to make sure to state they are heterosexual (which you did in your first post). I find this sentiment to be extremely hypocritical.
I understand what you're saying, Joe. I really do, and I don't have a problem with your replies and comments. You should know by now that I can be very opinionated, and today is no different. I didn't go out of my way to say that I'm straight and it was not an intended act or something that was premeditated. The point is that if he's gay, then be gay. By telling the world, he is purposely bringing attention to himself, which in turn, brings scrutiny. Whether people agree with some of the scrutiny is irrelevant. His "coming out" has been the headline on numerous sources. Some see it one way and some see it another, and furthermore, while the news itself may be about Tim, the significance of his coming out, as evidenced in this thread, is about more than Tim. If it weren't then comments like, "I don't care" wouldn't be an issue.....:)

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I find it awesome.... Nothing wrong with announcing your private life to the public... Nothing wrong with being gay either... We should respect each other regardless....
It's obvious why he did so because being gay had a negative connotation in certain religious... I guess he felt he needed to reach out to people who are afraid to come out with the truth because society will dismiss there sexuality.....
Glad to see the comments here are positive...
Gay or straight we are all humans at the end of the day...
Respect that...

boeingrules

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
I understand what you're saying, Joe. I really do, and I don't have a problem with your replies and comments. You should know by now that I can be very opinionated, and today is no different. I didn't go out of my way to say that I'm straight and it was not an intended act or something that was premeditated. The point is that if he's gay, then be gay. By telling the world, he is purposely bringing attention to himself, which in turn, brings scrutiny. Whether people agree with some of the scrutiny is irrelevant. His "coming out" has been the headline on numerous sources. Some see it one way and some see it another, and furthermore, while the news itself may be about Tim, the significance of his coming out, as evidenced in this thread, is about more than Tim. If it weren't then comments like, "I don't care" wouldn't be an issue.....:)

It is not Tim that is bringing attention to his sexuality. It is the world and the media that is. Today, in this world, sexuality is unfortunately still a big part in defining a person. People are still judged for it and discriminated against because of it, which sucks.

People need to start understanding that the difference between a gay person and a straight person really doesn't matter. It's like the difference between a right handed and a left handed person. Their brains might be wired slightly differently, but at the end of the day it's not a choice, and most importantly, it doesn't really make a difference. It doesn't need to be announced or hidden. It can be talked about freely, it's just that it isn't really that interesting to talk about. It'll just be another fun fact like his favourite color.

If Tim had come out as left handed, the media would say, "Ok, cool," and move on with their lives. He doesn't need to be criticised for announcing his hand orientation, because it doesn't matter. And if being left handed doesn't matter, then announcing you're left handed also shouldn't matter. This is the equality we should be working towards.

But Tim did not come out as left handed. He came out as gay. And it is the media and the internet that is making a big deal about it, not Cook.

annaharris

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
Tim Cook has it's own personal life, and its upto him whatever he does in his personal life. No-one has any rights to comment whatever goes in his personal life.

Nanci

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
So at work, no one should have pics of their kids on their desk? No one should have a pic of their SO? No one should ever ask someone else, "hey what did you do last weekend" or share what awesome experience they had over the weekend with xyz? Or what great movie, he/she went to see with xyz. No one should talk about their pets? No one should talk about sports either because what teams you support is part of your personal life? Likewise talking about the latest TV show you watched the night before. That's something you do as part of your personal life.
If people never mentioned anything about their personal lives at work, most people would probably say absolutely nothing all day. If that's what you truly meant and abide by yourself at work, then ok. But I find it difficult to believe that you've never mentioned or talked about some of the things I listed above with your colleagues.

I have a friend on a different forum who, a few years ago, had to FIGHT to be able to post pics of herself and her wife on a camping trip!

I have another couple of friends, now, a gay couple who have been together for about 8 years. They never get pics taken together, because someone might suspect. They aren't friends on Facebook. They are afraid someone might notice they post pics of the same dogs! All because one works at a religious-based hospital, and fears that if it was discovered he's gay, he'd lose his job.

In this day and age, that is simply unacceptable.

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I have a friend on a different forum who, a few years ago, had to FIGHT to be able to post pics of herself and her wife on a camping trip!

I have another couple of friends, now, a gay couple who have been together for about 8 years. They never get pics taken together, because someone might suspect. They aren't friends on Facebook. They are afraid someone might notice they post pics of the same dogs! All because one works at a religious-based hospital, and fears that if it was discovered he's gay, he'd lose his job.

In this day and age, that is simply unacceptable.

If he works at a religious hospital, he has to respect their beliefs just as much as they have to respect his homosexuality.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
This is why I think there are certain levels of your personal life you shouldn't take to work.

It's okay to talk about where you want to vacation at. It's okay to talk about your dog, cat, cars, phones, etc.

However once you get into the intimate aspects, that's where it can get too personal. That's where I'd draw the line to prevent things from becoming unprofessional.

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
This is why I think there are certain levels of your personal life you shouldn't take to work.

It's okay to talk about where you want to vacation at. It's okay to talk about your dog, cat, cars, phones, etc.

However once you get into the intimate aspects, that's where it can get too personal. That's where I'd draw the line to prevent things from becoming unprofessional.

Have you never once talked about your significant other at work?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73