iOS 7 Activation Lock bypass discovered, protect yourself with Touch ID or Passcode

iMore.com

Administrator
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site

A bug has been found in iOS 7 that allows a an attacker with physical control over a lost or stolen iPhone to get around Activation Lock and gain access to the device. Unfortunately, the method for circumventing Activation Lock has been made public. However, the bypass process requires the attacker have access to an unlocked device, and be able to access the device after a reboot, so it can be thwarted by simply having a Passcode enabled (either by itself or as part of Touch ID).

Full story from the iMore Blog...

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I thought you need to set a passcode when you have find my iPhone turned on...

Sent from my iPhone 5S or 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
iOS 7 Activation Lock bypass discovered, protect yourself with Touch ID or Pa...

I thought you need to set a passcode when you have find my iPhone turned on...

You need to know the Apple ID and associated passcode of the person whose device you're trying to locate. In this regard, however, a person need to have physical access to your device, but if your device has a lockscreen passcode, this flaw is useless because the person doesn't have access to the settings menu to take advantage of the flaw.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: iOS 7 Activation Lock bypass discovered, protect yourself with Touch ID or Pa...

You need to know the Apple ID and associated passcode of the person whose device you're trying to locate. In this regard, however, a person need to have physical access to your device, but if your device has a lockscreen passcode, this flaw is useless because the person doesn't have access to the settings menu to take advantage of the flaw.

But when you setup find my iPhone aren't you required to set a passcode lock on the phone anyways?

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Re: iOS 7 Activation Lock bypass discovered, protect yourself with Touch ID or Pa...

Can't you just restore it after you get access to the passcode screen?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
But when you setup find my iPhone aren't you required to set a passcode lock on the phone anyways?

No sir. Apple instituted the Find My iPhone app as a standalone feature, and this is the reason you have to download the app in order to use it without having to login to the iCloud website. Anyway, with iOS 7+, if you choose to enable the Find My iPhone feature for the location services option during the device setup, the activation lock is automatically set.

Last edited:

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
It seems thats the flaw bypass have a password to protect them from getting in to disable it

iMore Ambassador -iPhone 5s

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77