Considering switching from a Windows machine to one of the new Macbook air laptops.

One thing I'm interested in is iMessage on the Mac. I realize that iMessage is for macs only, but can I send, using iMessage on the mac, to an Android phone? Will said messages show up on my phone, provided I am logged in using the userID on both the phone and the Mac?

Thanks.

Mike
    12-01-2020 12:43 AM
    If you get the Mac, then you can use weMessage as a workaround to send/receive iMessages from an Android device.
    12-01-2020 06:17 AM
    Considering switching from a Windows machine to one of the new Macbook air laptops.

One thing I'm interested in is iMessage on the Mac. I realize that iMessage is for macs only, but can I send, using iMessage on the mac, to an Android phone? Will said messages show up on my phone, provided I am logged in using the userID on both the phone and the Mac?

Thanks.

Mike
    My iPhone includes Wi-Fi calling on other devices, which includes my Mac. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203032

For TXT or SMS, all you need to do is make sure you are logged into the same Apple ID with Messages on your Mac as your iPhone. Handoff and Continuity should do the rest. You might need to turn on Text Message Forwarding on your iPhone.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208386
    Last edited by scruffypig; 12-01-2020 at 09:41 AM.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    12-01-2020 08:37 AM
    My iPhone includes Wi-Fi calling on other devices, which includes my Mac. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203032

For TXT or SMS, all you need to do is make sure you are logged into the same Apple ID with Messages on your Mac as your iPhone. Handoff and Continuity should do the rest. You might need to turn on Text Message Forwarding on your iPhone.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208386
    Scruffypig - You are a genius. This is the piece I was missing. I set up a test account on MacInCloud to see if I could do what I normally do in a day with a Mac. Everything seems to be going well, except I wasn't able to send text messages to my co-worker who uses an Android phone. Once I change this setting on my iPhone, I am able to send to and receive from my co-worker's Android phone.

Thank you. You just might have sold a MacBook Air for Apple. I'm sure they will be thrilled.

Mike.
    12-01-2020 02:02 PM
    Scruffypig - You are a genius. This is the piece I was missing. I set up a test account on MacInCloud to see if I could do what I normally do in a day with a Mac. Everything seems to be going well, except I wasn't able to send text messages to my co-worker who uses an Android phone. Once I change this setting on my iPhone, I am able to send to and receive from my co-worker's Android phone.

Thank you. You just might have sold a MacBook Air for Apple. I'm sure they will be thrilled.

Mike.
    Glad this is resolved and working. You are welcome.
    12-01-2020 04:37 PM