Odd issue when texting friends who have Android Phones, and Apple iPads/iPods.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I have had a couple of odd issues when sending texts to two of my inlaws who have Android phones AND either an iPod or iPad. Instead of starting a new text each time I want to message them, I choose an existing text. For some reason, there are times when my text goes to their Apple device and NOT their Android phones.

We're trying to figure this out. I wonder if this happens when they are actively using their Apple device? If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them!

Thanks!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Not sure what you mean by "existing text". Do you mean like an open thread?
Grasping at straws here, but have you checked in the info/details section of Messages to see if your texts are going to a number or an email address?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
If it shows "recent" on their number, it should go to their phone. You might try deleting that text thread, and start a new one with their number.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
My sister inlaw just confirmed that the email address I have for her in my contacts is associated with her iPad. So when I text her, and I want the text to go to her phone, I will text her by going into my contacts and selecting the person's cell; here's a crudely edited screenshot of the options I'm seeing. Text Issue with Kim.jpg

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
My sister inlaw just confirmed that the email address I have for her in my contacts is associated with her iPad. So when I text her, and I want the text to go to her phone, I will text her by going into my contacts and selecting the person's cell; here's a crudely edited screenshot of the options I'm seeing. View attachment 127899

Where are you pulling up those options on the white part? Is that in favorites? I notice Kim's number doesn't have "recent" by it. Can't see email address. Might want to delete the image.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Did you check in messages> details > contact to see if email is used?

OK, I found it. My recent texts have gone to her phone and the bubbles are green. The bubbles from when this issue occurred are from last night and are blue. I don't think I can tell where those went, but I'm guessing they went to her iPad via email.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
OK, I found it. My recent texts have gone to her phone and the bubbles are green. The bubbles from when this issue occurred are from last night and are blue. I don't think I can tell where those went, but I'm guessing they went to her iPad via email.

Both the green and blue in the same thread? If you want it going to their phone, I would just delete all threads with that contact, and start a new one sent to the phone number itself.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Both the green and blue in the same thread? If you want it going to their phone, I would just delete all threads with that contact, and start a new one sent to the phone number itself.

Yes! That was what confused me! :D I will delete that thread and start fresh! Thanks for helping me through this!

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Had this problem recently,it seems to occur when someone “rationalises” their phonebook, but yes delete and start again seems to fix it.

JandN2639

Nov 23, 2017
Visit site
I have had a similar problem. We have three (3) different iPads, and since at least two (2) are associated with the identical information as my iPhone, they appear to receive texts sent to my number. It's very annoying, especially since there is no way to disable Messages on Apple devices!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have had a similar problem. We have three (3) different iPads, and since at least two (2) are associated with the identical information as my iPhone, they appear to receive texts sent to my number. It's very annoying, especially since there is no way to disable Messages on Apple devices!

If you don't want text messages going to your iPad, go to Settings > Messages > Turn off iMessage > go to Send and Receive > and uncheck email and phone number in Send and Receive. That should stop it.

JandN2639

Nov 23, 2017
Visit site
If you don't want text messages going to your iPad, go to Settings > Messages > Turn off iMessage > go to Send and Receive > and uncheck email and phone number in Send and Receive. That should stop it.

Unfortunately, although we have turned off iMessage on our (original) iPad Air, we still see messages, and the other setting you mentioned is not available.

Any other suggestions?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately, although we have turned off iMessage on our (original) iPad Air, we still see messages, and the other setting you mentioned is not available.

Any other suggestions?

You don't see "Send and Receive"? I think it should be there. A few weeks ago, I didn't see it on my iPhone. Did a hard reset, and then it showed.
fad28ad4d9dd663b2a6f31ab1e65f698.jpg

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234