I've been a android user forever and I enjoy it. I have been contemplating switching to iphone because all of my family and friends have it and I think I could benefit from the use of facetime and imessage. (If only apple would make android versions of those apps, but I digress..)

I totally get the advantage of facetime - I don't need to try to convince my friends and family to download a new app, and it seems to work seamlessly.

I don't totally understand what I am missing out on without imessage. I routinely hear people say they would switch from iphone but for imessage, but I'm not sure why.

Can someone clarify for me?
    06-11-2018 12:10 PM
    Welcome to iMore

The key feature of iMessage is the security that’s build in and the fact that you can see it along all your devices as well as high quality photo transfer and if your into stickers and emojis it’s a plus.

I like it for the Read Receipt so I know someone got my text

Also a lot of new features

Apple Pay
    Animoji

Here’s a link to explain why iMessage is Great

https://www.imore.com/imessage?amp
    taz323, Lee_Bo and Sherry_B like this.
    06-11-2018 01:36 PM
    You really have to be a user of iMessage to understand. Sure, instant messaging has been around forever. But with iMessages the experience is so much greater and the integration with iMessage apps, stickers and other social items makes it a great experience. So much more than typical SMS messaging. And you don't need your friends/family to download any additional apps. It all happens from within that one Messages app.
    taz323 likes this.
    06-11-2018 03:12 PM
    iMessages are "Free" and you don't need to have a phone to use it.
    kataran likes this.
    06-11-2018 08:54 PM
    I have both platforms and I use to think like you did. I'll just say iMessage is better than all the other platforms such as WhatsApp, FB messenger and others. There is so much stuff bundled into the messaging app. The only reason I carry two phones to be honest
    06-11-2018 09:04 PM
    I don’t know that it is that great, but it works every time and I’d be lost without it !
    06-12-2018 04:07 AM
    I don’t know that it is that great, but it works every time and I’d be lost without it !
    It’s great to annoy my fellow Ambassadors 🤣
    Sherry_B and Annie_8plus like this.
    06-12-2018 05:17 AM

I like it for the Read Receipt so I know someone got my text
    Yep!
    06-12-2018 06:03 AM
    You really have to be a user of iMessage to understand. Sure, instant messaging has been around forever. But with iMessages the experience is so much greater and the integration with iMessage apps, stickers and other social items makes it a great experience. So much more than typical SMS messaging. And you don't need your friends/family to download any additional apps. It all happens from within that one Messages app.
    Exactly. And it doesn’t compress media/tell you the attachment is too large, unlike most social media apps (or even standard SMS, for that matter).
    Tartarus and Annie_8plus like this.
    06-12-2018 06:32 AM
    Probably my favorite feature is being able to send most types of documents through iMessage where I couldn't with SMS. So instead of emailing someone a .doc .xls or .pdf I can just send through iMessage. I'm also a big fan of the Rich Previews for links.
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    06-13-2018 01:05 AM
    Welcome to iMore! I don’t know that I could say iMessage is great, but the dual end encryption is nice. As well as the built apps and apps built specifically for iMessage. Of course the thee things mentioned by others are nice as well.
    06-13-2018 01:20 AM
    It’s free and syncs across your Apple devices.
    06-13-2018 04:16 AM
    It's like an in built messaging app similar to whatsapp and you don't have to download anything else. It's the most prominent sticking point, there's no hassle.
    06-13-2018 07:06 AM
    There's so much to like... but mostly, it's just so easy! I have to say that when messaging with a friend on a "non-iOS" device who doesn't have iMessage is sometimes bothersome because it can be so complicated!
    06-13-2018 07:57 AM
    06-13-2018 08:02 AM