How to activate an iPhone on Wi-Fi only for Facetime & iMessage

christian2001

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
My wife and I are on different sides of the mobile phone fence. She is iOS (a 6S) and I am Android. This works out fine for both of us; I like Android, she has the ability to Facetime with her kids and grandkids. All good.

Now here is my problem. She will be going on a trip with her daughters in November, and we would like to Facetime each other while she is gone. I have a 4th gen iPod Touch which I have used in the past. But, it?s so small. Now I have access to an iPhone 6+ without a SIM. I have set it up for myself; I?m logged in to my iCloud account and I use it around the house on Wi-Fi (especially as a reference when she has an iOS question). But, in Settings, iMessage and Facetime are both stuck at ?Waiting for activation??. If I turn either off and then back on, then I get a message that ?An error occurred during activation. Try again.?

I?m thinking that I need to put the SIM card from my Android phone in the iPhone to get things working, but I?m worried that something would/could mess up my SMS messages on my Android phone. So, does anyone have any suggestions for me?

christian2001

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
How about just using Skype instead of Facetime? And just use your regular SMS on your phone instead of iMessage.

I have two reasons for not wanting to go the Skype route. The first is that she know Facetime and I don't want the task of teaching her a new app. Second, she might only have access to Wi-Fi at times, and while that would be fine for Skype, it wouldn't work for SMS. There are also the new offerings from Google (Allo & Duo), but once again she wouldn't want to learn a new way of doing things when Facetime/iMessages work just fine for her.