Is iMessage free if you're on wifi talking to someone in a different country?

I

iMore Question

is imessage free if you're on wifi talking to someone in a different country?

didn't know how to word my question exactly... but i live in USA and my boyfriend is moving to Canada. i guess what we want to know if we will be charged once he gets a cell provider from over there. can we still text via iMessage for free? i have an understanding that imessage is based on internet. so if we're both on wifi and we text will we still be charged? i note again: he's gonna be getting a new phone and number from over there.. if someone could please explain what they know we'd really appreciate it:)

Branta

Retired Network Moderator
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: is imessage free if you're on wifi talking to someone in a different country?

iMessage tries to work over data and falls back to SMS if either party doesn't have data service when the message is sent. Ok... the fallback option is in settings to turn on or off. As far as data goes it will use both WiFi and cellular with WiFi as the first choice when available. If you and BF are both on wifi or home network there should be no extra charges - and if not the charges would only hit the one who is roaming on cellular. My guess only, until he has a Canadian service set up then roaming data is likely to be cheaper than international SMS while roaming in his US plan. Check the charges for yourself to be sure and avoid sending photos (big data load) when either party is roaming on cellular.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: is imessage free if you're on wifi talking to someone in a different country?

Yes, it's free as long as you're both on iPhone. And no data charges as long as your on WiFi.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

You could also use whatsapp. That's pretty popular for international use.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods