How to convert iMessages to e-mail?

I

iMore Question

I want to convert iMessages received to e-mail so I can forward them.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to iMore! iMessages cannot be converted into emails. Your only option is to copy and paste, or you can take screencaps and attach the images to emails.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
You can forward them to email. But it's easier to just copy and paste.

Unless I'm mistaken forwarding to an email address only works if said email address is linked to an iMessage account. Even then, it still sends as an iMessage.

UPDATE: Just tested this out. If you forward to an email address linked to an iMessage account the message will simply forward through iMessage. If you forward to an email address NOT linked an an iMessage account it will forward as an actual email through whatever cellular carrier you're using, and include the iMessage text as a .txt file attached to the email.
9e6770a6f390c62ed7fe65686bb3dea6.jpg

As you can see from the image above Verizon handled the message through MMS and sent it to my non-iMessage email address.

KenMackenzie

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
This issue is proving to be my biggest regret switching to iPhone from Android. On the Android phone I used an app that forwarded all my SMS messages, incoming and outgoing to email. Similarly, the app forwarded details of each call. This meant that I had a simple permanent, automatically backed up record of all my SMS messages and calls. The app was free. It is called SMS backup plus.

I cannot find any similar app for the iPhone. There are apps that will export the iMessage files as Excel spreadsheets, but that is not what I want. I want the phone to send an email for every single iMessage. I wonder if Apple is deliberately obstructing this?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
This issue is proving to be my biggest regret switching to iPhone from Android. On the Android phone I used an app that forwarded all my SMS messages, incoming and outgoing to email. Similarly, the app forwarded details of each call. This meant that I had a simple permanent, automatically backed up record of all my SMS messages and calls. The app was free. It is called SMS backup plus.

I cannot find any similar app for the iPhone. There are apps that will export the iMessage files as Excel spreadsheets, but that is not what I want. I want the phone to send an email for every single iMessage. I wonder if Apple is deliberately obstructing this?

Hopefully, an app that will allow for what you seek will be available in the App Store soon. Until then, you will have to use alternative methods. Take care.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73