Why can't I open the message app on my iPhone 5?

mejoscoma

May 27, 2015
Visit site
Why can't I open the message app on my iPhone 5

All of a sudden, I can no longer open text messages. Notifications of new texts appear, however when I click on the message icon, it flashes open and closes. I cannot open, read or send texts?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: Why can't I open the message app on my iPhone 5

Try swiping it out of the multitasking tray. (Force close).
If that doesn't work, try a hard reset.
Hold the top power/sleep button and the home button at the same time until the Apple logo appears, then release.

mejoscoma

May 27, 2015
Visit site

Tried. No luck. I also tried turning the notifications off. Any other suggestions?

haywardm

May 28, 2015
Visit site

My friend just called me with this same issue! We have tried everything from a hard reset to completely factory resetting the phone and the issue is still persisting. Any more suggestions? Fully up to dated with the latest software.

Rorz Price

May 28, 2015
Visit site

I have the exact same thing and have tried all the below ideas as well. please let me know if you find a fix. i will keep looking and let you know if i find one

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site

Seems a bit more logical than "Interesting that only new members are the ones having this problem ..." At least it gives a starting point, yes?
Not really. Your linked issue (To which I'm fully aware of ) seams to be affecting new, and old members alike. My observation here was that only new members with no mention of the odd character text messages trigger were being affected by this issue thus making that a logical first observation in trying to trouble shoot the problem ...

xtremeled

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site

Not really. Your linked issue (To which I'm fully aware of ) seams to be affecting new, and old members alike. My observation here was that only new members with no mention of the odd character text messages trigger were being affected by this issue thus making that a logical first observation in trying to trouble shoot the problem ...
Without diving full speed into a pissing match, His opening was , It was working fine and all of a sudden its not. Knowing that there is a text bug that is causing exactly this problem, yeah, sounds kinda logical that this may be the problem. in either case anything would have been a better answer than it's a newbie issue. LOL

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

His opening was , It was working fine and all of a sudden its not.
One might think even a newb would say something about this happening after getting a text that had weird stuff they couldn't read... to assume the issue is because of the reported bug is just as erroneous as blaming it on 'newb issues'.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site

Without diving full speed into a pissing match, His opening was , It was working fine and all of a sudden its not. Knowing that there is a text bug that is causing exactly this problem, yeah, sounds kinda logical that this may be the problem. in either case anything would have been a better answer than it's a newbie issue. LOL
Okay you seem to be way more preoccupied with taking my comment out of context than you really need to be ...
First rule of trouble shooting is finding a common denominator to the issue, NOT jumping to conclusions.
The only newbie at this point would be you based on your modus operandi ...

xtremeled

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site

Okay you seem to be way more preoccupied with taking my comment out of context than you really need to be ...
First rule of trouble shooting is finding a common denominator to the issue, NOT jumping to conclusions.
The only newbie at this point would be you based on your modus operandi ...
One could suggest that I am jumping to conclusions but, when something is working and then just stops for no known reason yeah, troubleshoot from the top but, When there is a known bug why wouldn't you start there first instead of climbing the troubleshooting tree? I do system troubleshooting on a weekly basis and I can tell you that if I come across a glitch that has been issued any type of tech bulletin I go there first. If friends in the industry give me a heads up on an issue they have noticed recently, I would go there first. This is why many industries publish tech bulletins, It saves time and money when bugs surface. I don't agree that troubleshooting from the beginning is the best use of time in a situation like this.

xtremeled

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site

... did the known issue happen?? No?? Then it's not a logical place to start...

Does anyone know whether this is the bug? Since you're saying its not, do you have info that has not been posted here? I ask because a member is searching for guidance but he has not yet resurfaced and now you are saying that this has nothing to do with the "Known" issue? I wonder, Is it the bug? does anyone have the true facts?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

does anyone have the true facts?
i only know what I've read here and elsewhere... to assume anyone's messages app issue is solely attributable root cause is this one incident/bug as you seem to be hell bent on doing... is simply wrong absent any direct evidence to the contrary... an ambiguous "my messages app isn't working" can be caused by a myriad of issues for which standard troubleshooting applies...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods