Easy question and I don't want to get into the reasoning (thanks for not asking).....

Easy to turn off iMessage in settings. But how do you keep someone from turning it back on on a specific device?

I tried turning on restrictions and then saying "don't allow changes" to accounts.

But that doesn't seem to work the way I thought it would.

I don't really want to disassociate the device totally from the appleID as then you lose the ability to track with Find my iPhone.

Any thoughts on how to do this one specific thing?
    Last edited by jlb21; 12-05-2014 at 10:51 AM.
    12-05-2014 10:40 AM
    If turning off Accounts in Restrictions doesn't restrict access to iMessages, then I can't thing of another way to turn off access. Sorry.
    12-05-2014 10:48 AM
    Thanks Karen. You would think it would. Perhaps there's some other thing that has to happen too?
    12-05-2014 10:52 AM
    According to this article it should work. Unless the user has the passcode.
    http://appletoolbox.com/2014/03/how-...phone-or-ipad/

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
    12-05-2014 11:09 AM
    Thanks Karen. You would think it would. Perhaps there's some other thing that has to happen too?
    Well restrictions on accounts are referring to adding another account like a gmail or yahoo account or deleting one, not preventing access once those accounts are added.
    And unlike FaceTime and Safari, there's no way in Restrictions to block the entire Messages app.
    Without trying to pry, maybe if you can explain more about what you are trying to accomplish, we could have some other ideas?
    Since you can't block the entire app, even if you could block just iMessage from being turned on, you would still be able to send SMS messages.
    Without knowing more, a work around a could be to disable the Messages app from accessing Contacts which would mean the user would need to know the phone number or email address to send an SMS or iMessage. Likewise you could restrict the Messages app from having access to location info. Likewise you could restrict the Message app from having access to the camera or photos. At least you can restrict other apps from accessing contacts, photos, etc.
    12-05-2014 11:20 AM
    All, it does work. I wasn't getting the popup I thought I would get. But instead of seeing "new imessage" (when creating) it would say new message. And if I go into a thread that was previously imessages, the send button is now green for SMS.

Karen i appreciate your asking, but I really need to be vague to respect some privacy here. But what I have found between my last post and this one is that turning off imessage to me totally is not truly meeting the entire need I am looking for. What is more likely to meet that need is to apply a restriction in settings to the camera, which is very doable. I also found that once set, ANY app that would normally have an option to "take a pic" will either no longer have that option or it won't physically do anything.

This helps prevent outgoing photos via non-SMS means.

So, additionally, where turning off imessage will now help is that it will force any messaging to go in/out via SMS. And once I do that, I can then log onto My Verizon, and block all picture messaging.

So, i guess yes, imessage will be part of layered controls.
    12-05-2014 11:38 AM
    Thanks for the update. I'm glad you found a work-around.
    12-05-2014 01:05 PM