Hide typing "..." in iMessage

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Is there a way to hide this so the user can't see you're typing? I had iPhone a while ago when iMessage was new and I thought you could not have it show when you're typing to other iMessage people -- Is this still an option?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Is there a way to hide this so the user can't see you're typing? I had iPhone a while ago when iMessage was new and I thought you could not have it show when you're typing to other iMessage people -- Is this still an option?

You can't hide the three dots that display when someone is replying via "iMessage", however, the dots do not display during an "SMS" reply.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Does having the 'read receipts' on/off have any effect on this? I seem to recall a discussion around that setting at one time.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Does having the 'read receipts' on/off have any effect on this? I seem to recall a discussion around that setting at one time.

I suppose it's possible, but I communicate frequently via iMessage with people who do not have that option enabled and I still see the dots when they are replying.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

This may have been it. I haven't had iPhone since the 4 when iMessage was newer .. so I could be mistaken .. but I think that read receipts may effect it some .. Because I never saw people typing to me (again .. could be thinking incorrectly .. been awhile).

I just had the GF switch from the S4 to the iPhone 6 (gold - 16 GB). She should have it within a few weeks so .. was just curious :). I have a Note 4 but man if I had the cash I would love to try an iPhone 6 + :(.

Last edited:

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
All of my friends with iPhones have the "read receipt" off, and I can still see the "..." whey they are typing. I don't think that has any effect on it.

david9962000

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
For more privacy you could turn off iMessage and people wouldn't get "Delivered" on their end as well. Most plans have unlimited SMS anyways.

David Coakley

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site

APPLE DEVELOPERS, please creat this. I love iMessage, but I'm ready to turn it off, because I don't want others to know when I'm agonizing over what to type, i.e. how to covey the message I want to send them. I take my time in composing a text, but I don't want everyone to know how much thought I put into each text due to the three dots that display while I'm editing my text to them. Please consider this. I'm not the only one who has this complaint. Thanks so much for creating such a great device and operating system.

David Coakley

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
I don't do blogs, so if this is not the venue where APPLE DEVELOPERS will see this post, please repost my request where they will see it. If it's possible to get a response from an Apple employee that would be great, so that I know that at least they saw it, even if they are not willing to change it at this point. Thank you so much for your help.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Just because you see the 3 dot ellipsis, it doesn't mean someone is typing.
The iMessage ellipsis begins when the first character is typed. If the sender stops typing but does not back up to delete the showing characters, the ellipsis will continue for 60 seconds. Then it stops and there is no message. If we are messaging, and I type one character, then close my messages app and go to Facebook, you would be left watching the ellipsis for 60 seconds or until it stops. Then you would wait a moment more for a message to appear. But it would not. If I were to type a word, then back up to where no character shows, then the ellipsis stops. And again, there's no message. As to what the sender is doing is a guess. They may start a message, then stop and move on to something else. They may accidentally hit a letter, then close the app, leaving you watching the ellipsis for 60 seconds. The ellipsis is not an indication that a message is incoming. It just means at least 1 character was typed.
It's not an iOS bug. It's been going on since the iMessage ellipsis was first implemented

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice