iMessage sync with Mac

anon(4782771)

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Normally even when I don't sync my phone with my computer, when I turn on the Messages app on my Mac, I will see the latest messages even if they already have been deleted on my iPhone. I noticed today that the last messages that synced to my Mac was from 7/30. Is there a way to update the messages on my Mac?? I just happen to notice it now because I needed to retrieve an iMessage conversation that is no longer on my phone.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Be advised that for a good portion of the day yesterday, Apple was dealing with iCloud and iMessage issues so it's possible that kinks are still being worked out in regard to syncing in your area. As for specific question, I don't think so, however, you can try disabling and then re-enabling iMessage on your Mac and see if it'll help matter.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
Normally even when I don't sync my phone with my computer, when I turn on the Messages app on my Mac, I will see the latest messages even if they already have been deleted on my iPhone. I noticed today that the last messages that synced to my Mac was from 7/30. Is there a way to update the messages on my Mac?? I just happen to notice it now because I needed to retrieve an iMessage conversation that is no longer on my phone.

Unfortunately this has never been consistent on my MacBook Air. When I delete iMessages from my iPhone or iPad it's a crap shoot as to whether it will be deleted on my MacBook Air.

Deleting iMessages on one iOS device and having it deleted on the other iOS device is a lot more reliable but not 100%.

Having said that, at least when creating or receiving a new iMessage, they seem to appear on both my iOS devices & My Mac. This was not always the case but for the time being that seems to be syncing properly.
Good Luck

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I've not seen iMessage show up/sync on my Mac since July 27th. Lots of threads showing up on Internet about this problem.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6300979 appears to be a potential fix. This hasn't been a big deal for me, so haven't bothered to work on it. Would be nice to see it working, though, so will give the potential fix a try.

Update: Per the steps in http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5538 which is the KB article referenced in the link directly above in my post, my iMessages are now syncing again across iPhone and Mac. Somehow iMessage wasn't fully associated with my phone number in my iPhone. Even though I was getting blue messages from other iMessage users, the full phone number association wasn't there. Since I was getting blue messages, I incorrectly assumed that all was good. I should have looked further into the Settings/Messages/Send & Receive to be sure that my iPhone's phone # was associated.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2