I have tried to remove my cell number from iMessage on my IP5 but it won't let me. I would like to iMessage some people and text some others. Thanks
    04-20-2014 07:58 PM
    I have tried to remove my cell number from iMessage on my IP5 but it won't let me. I would like to iMessage some people and text some others. Thanks
    If you mean iMessage other iPhone users and SMS with others, you can do that without removing your number. In settings>Messages be sure both iMessage and Send As SMS are both turned on. Or did I misunderstand your intent?

Sent from from my iPhone 5
    04-20-2014 08:22 PM
    As long as you're using an iPhone that's tied to that phone number, you can't remove the number from that iPhone.
    iOS Gravity likes this.
    04-20-2014 11:54 PM
    You can't remove the number from the iphone, but in settings>messages>send&receive, you can set the icloud email address to be the primary "caller id" for your iMessages. That way, people you iMessage in a new thread will see your icloud email and people you SMS will see your number. You can't pick and choose who gets what type of message however. Hope this helps.
    04-21-2014 12:18 AM
    You can't remove the number from the iphone, but in settings>messages>send&receive, you can set the icloud email address to be the primary "caller id" for your iMessages. That way, people you iMessage in a new thread will see your icloud email and people you SMS will see your number. You can't pick and choose who gets what type of message however. Hope this helps.
    What purpose does it serve to have all iPhone users see the iCloud email address and all others such as Android and home phone users see the phone number?

04-21-2014 09:15 AM
    What purpose does it serve to have all iPhone users see the iCloud email address and all others such as Android and home phone users see the phone number?

No purpose other than preference. Some people would rather not have iMessage be tied to their phone number.
    megabandit and david9962000 like this.
    04-21-2014 01:09 PM
    You need the phone number regardless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    04-22-2014 07:41 AM
    You need the phone number regardless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not if you're using something other than an iPhone.
    04-22-2014 02:14 PM
    Wouldn't this work when you want to iMessage on the sane account from your iPad and Mac... My iPad and Mac use the same email address but my iPhone uses my number. To get all 3 to sync better that's hoe I do it?

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums
    07-17-2014 02:44 PM