Can Apple improve iMessage?

therealwags

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Lots of good suggestions here. One I'd like is to have the option to send a 'Read' receipt on a per text basis, similar to what Outlook has. Not a fan of the current 'all or nothing' setting.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I am done using iMessage. Until Apple makes disconnecting iMessage from your phone number as easy as it is to turn on iMessage.

iMessage literally hijacks SMS... if you switch to a different OS get ready for issues. Even if you follow all the instructions for disabling iMessage on all your devices including your Mac, there is a good chance messages from iPhone users will not get through to you. This is unacceptable.

If Apple had invented SMS, then I would take no umbrage... but they did not.

I switch Sim cards between my 5S and Note 3 every few days and don't understand what the problem is that people have in disabling imessage. I'm starting to think people are ignoring one important step:

Aside from just toggling iMessage off on your phone, one should go into the "send & receive" menu and sign out of their Apple ID for imessage and THEN toggle imessage off.

I do think that if someone's messages don't get through to you is because they don't have "send as SMS" toggled on since Apple has it off by default ever since ios 7. Even then, a person who has it off would still send you a sms after a reset of their phone since your apple id is no longer signed in to imessage.

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I switch Sim cards between my 5S and Note 3 every few days and don't understand what the problem is that people have in disabling imessage. I'm starting to think people are ignoring one important step:

Aside from just toggling iMessage off on your phone, one should go into the "send & receive" menu and sign out of their Apple ID for imessage and THEN toggle imessage off.

I do think that if someone's messages don't get through to you is because they don't have "send as SMS" toggled on since Apple has it off by default ever since ios 7. Even then, a person who has it off would still send you a sms after a reset of their phone since your apple id is no longer signed in to imessage.

And there is the rub.... I have to rely on another person to reset their iphone in order to get a message from them.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
And there is the rub.... I have to rely on another person to reset their iphone in order to get a message from them.

I agree. But don't sell signing out of imessage short. It rids you of most of the problems you will have to deal with. You're basically disconnecting not only your device, but your phone number from imessage by doing that.

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Photo icons next to each message to help better identify the participants.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site

iMessage already has this. As soon as you sign into your Facebook account on your iDevice, it shows a photo icon like this! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400207653.300638.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
iMessage already has this. As soon as you sign into your Facebook account on your iDevice, it shows a photo icon like this! View attachment 56623

Hmm...didn't realize that. I've opted to not allow Facebook to access my contacts. Also, not everyone I msg with is on Facebook. Good to know though thanks.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I'd be happier if it was more reliable. I hate using it and have turned it off. Even on wifi with a clear signal, it takes forever and a day to send pictures over iMessage.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

I guess apple thinks the screen size is not suitable for that.

I'd be happier if it was more reliable. I hate using it and have turned it off. Even on wifi with a clear signal, it takes forever and a day to send pictures over iMessage.

I don't recognize this issue. I use iMessage all the time to send pictures and never had issues.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
iMessage already has this. As soon as you sign into your Facebook account on your iDevice, it shows a photo icon like this! View attachment 56623

I'd rather it be from my contacts like on group message. Don't want Facebook. I can't control which profile photo to use. Most I iMessage with are in my contacts. The others on Facebook I use Facebook Messenger.

Sent from from my iPhone 5

Alethia23

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
They need a "delivered" notification for SMS. Even my crappy old nokia phone could do that. It's the only huge disappointment I have with iOS.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Improvements can be made on delivering photos on iMessage. They don't go through many times, especially when sent with text or if the photo has been edited or enhanced. Sometimes I have to send the text on a separate message for the photo to go through. It could be my wifi, but I have good speeds. Anyone else have that issue?

Sent from from my iPhone 5

Alethia23

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
My provider supports that by adding a '!' exclamation mark before the actual text

My old nokia phone didn't need an exclamation mark to receive a delivered notification though and it is a pretty dumb phone ha. Seeing a "delivered" notice within the message itself would be really nice.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I would like to see better synchronization throughout iMessage. If I delete a message or thread on my phone, I would like for it to delete the message on my iPad and vice versa. It's the feature that I crave most.

Sent from my iPad Air using iMore Forums

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro